We HAD an EARTHQUAKE today!!

Old Dec 9th, 2003, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We HAD an EARTHQUAKE today!!

4.0 on the Richter scale-In VIRGINIA!!
Strongest in over 100years...
Scared the hell out of me...2 long vibrations and then aftershocks!!

First,the hurricane,...then the TORNADO, NOW the Earthquake...Neighbor said end of the world is next on the list...NOT funny!!
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 01:56 PM

You guys got a bit of a ride didn't you?
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 02:00 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Didn't even feel it. Bummer.
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 02:01 PM
LN

I felt it here in Maryland sitting at a table - the table started to shake lightly and I wondered if that's what it was.

What part of Va are you in?
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 02:09 PM

I checked the USGS website, and they're rating it at magnitude 4.5-- a good little shaker:

http://neic.usgs.gov/neis/bulletin/neic_cdbf_nr.html

Hope you're OK.

We get dozens of quakes daily-- and we're due for a good-sized jolt. Not that I'm wishing for one....
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 02:31 PM
cmt

I don't usually read the US forum, but I came here just now hoping someone might've posted about this, and sure enough here's this thread. I think it's rather exciting that you felt an earthquake, but without being put at great risk in a truly powerful one. Those of you who did/didn't feel it--where were you? I've been asking my MD/VA?DC area acquaintances whether they felt it. So far one said she didn't notice a thing because she was on the phone. (I didn't feel anything either, but my excuse is that I was in NJ.)
P.S. I think the news report I read said it was 4.5, but I'll check to make sure I am remembering correctly.
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 02:53 PM

You know Andy we could't have an earthquake today in San Francisco - we are too busy with elections. Choosing a mayor is far more important than shaking, right? That's why it hit your area.

Was it your first experience? Congratulations! Get ready for next time: that duct tape you had... keep it! With the flashlights, water supply, food... Red Cross has the full list available on request. Are you old enough to remember the cold was times when they taught you in school to duck and cover? This is what you're supposed to do when a big one hits.

Now seriously: I know it's scary. Just hang on there pal. O
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 03:07 PM

We here in Southern California feel your pain. Hang in there! OH.. and don't even think about signing up for earthquake insurance today.. your premiums just went up about 600%!
Seriously.. hang in there and do be careful, aftershocks can carry on for days or weeks... and can be stronger then the initial earthquake.
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 03:40 PM
LN

I'm in Maryland (just east of DC) and when my cup started vibrating I felt the table and realized that we were having a mild earthquake. You could certainly feel the vibration but nothing moved noticeably and it was at 4 pm. Here I felt the one shock and nothing else (yet).
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 04:01 PM

Where was the epicenter?
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 04:13 PM

Epicenter was near Richmond, VA. Unfortunately I was in deep discussion with some customers in LA (conference call) and missed the whole thing. I must have been really earnest or something! Geez Louise.
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 04:16 PM

Doncha just hate that??? a good earthquake and you don't feel it !
That has happened to me in Los Angeles too. My son has had it happen to him in Tokyo.
Does this mean there will be more?
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 04:20 PM

The earthquake was in Harrisonburg, Virginia. Quite a number of students felt it while taking final exams at James Madison University.
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 04:22 PM
jor

i used to live in texas where we had some "minor" quakes in the late 80's. woke me up one night.
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 04:25 PM

4.0 huh?

thats cute.
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 04:40 PM

The office I work at is about 10 miles southeast of the epicenter (west of Richmond). It's the first earthquake I've ever experienced.

Old Dec 9th, 2003, 05:07 PM
Original Poster

I am in Chesterfield,15 mi SE of Richmond- and trust me, I felt it!!

House started to shake- I thought a sonic boom went by...but it kept going and going and going....All the dishes started to rattle..I THOUGHT that a TREE had fallen in the house AGAIN...That is what happened in Sept when the HURRICANE hit us..and then 2 days later the TORNADO!!

I went outside and NO trees down-THANK GOODNESS...Came back in and AGAIN got aftershocks...SO I went flying outside again...

Neighbor was chipping away at his tree stump that uprooted from Hurricane Isabel..I flew across the yard and asked him if a sonic boom had been thru...He said "NO, didn't you feel the Earth move"....My response " Oh, so that's what they mean that you "feel the Earth move"! He cracked up!
His wife came out and thought the furnace had exploded....

Yes, this was my FIRST and hope LAST Earthquake...

All kidding aside, it was scary as hell.. We are not trained in what to do in Earthquakes..only tornados..I knew to go under a doorway, but I actually went a bit farther and went OUT the DOOR...Totally forgot about grabbing the dog....

My hubs felt it in a 3rd floor office building---said tables started to walk across the room...He was in Petersburg...
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 05:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Glad you're OK andy...sounds v. scary. Like Birdie also here in Wmbg, didn't feel a thing. Dog was acting kind of strange though. Keep the faith...
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 06:11 PM
jetset1

Seems like any east coast quakes are rare, but you never know... I am very used to quakes, being in Alaska. I felt the big 64 quake(9.2) as a child. We had several good ones when I lived out in the Aleutians, and we had a large one in the interior a year ago. The type where you hear the rumbling seem to pass quickly. One night, I was on the computer, and we had a vibrating quake and I actually felt dizzy afterwards. The other kind, a sudden jolt, are more unnerving. It's just a good idea to have emergency supplies on hand, as you never know, power and gas need to be turned off in some cases. I'm just happy not to be at sea level anymore, those tsunami evacuations are not fun!

Old Dec 9th, 2003, 06:22 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I was in Williamsburg on the second floor of a building, bringing the kids to the dentist. I lived in San Jose for 5 years so I know what a quake feels like. Didn't feel a thing this time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -