Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

We found a great little hotel in Chicago, near Wrigley Field

Old Jun 8th, 2007, 06:33 PM
MaureenB

While driving cross-country last week, we arrived in Chicago late Sunday night. By pure luck, a friend recommended a Best Western hotel in the area we were in. Not knowing Chicago, we'd taken Lake Shore Drive and ended up near Wrigley.

The hotel she recommended is the Hawthorne Terrace. It is a charming little boutique hotel, 3434 N. Broadway, at Hawthorne and Broadway, 1 888 675 BEST, www.hawthorneterrace.com. The neighborhood has coffee shops, markets, and nice little restaurants. It felt very safe at night.

Hawthorne Terrace has a European flair to it. It's set back from the sidewalk by a garden area which creates a nice quiet space between the street and the front door. There's a fireplace in the entry way, and it's been recently re-decorated in a charming old style.

A continental breakfast is included. Coffee and tea is available in the lobby at all times. Front desk service there is excellent. Our very large room had two queen beds and a small frig and a microwave. Very nice overall.

We were there two nights. The price was unbeatable: $160 + taxes. The desk clerk gave us a discount off the rack rate of $185, since we were checking in so late and agreed to take a smoking room (which smell really was not even detectable).

I highly recommend this hotel.
>-

Old Jun 8th, 2007, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maureen, I live 2 blocks from the Best Western Hawthorne Terrace. So now you know the neighborhood...Hope you enjoyed it!
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 07:30 PM
MaureenB

We loved Chicago! You live in a charming and interesting neighborhood. We ate at Angelina's one night and it was good.
>-

Old Jun 9th, 2007, 06:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maureen, hope you had the chance to walk east on Hawthorne Place - one of the loveliest streets in Chicago and a historic area, to boot - over to Belmont Harbor (the sailboat harbor).

By the way, the walkway that goes past Belmont Harbor - that's the Lakefront Path. If you wanted to, you could walk or bike all the way to N. Michigan Avenue, Navy Pier, the Museum Campus, etc., if you so desired. I do that often.
Old Jun 9th, 2007, 10:59 AM
MaureenB

I wish we'd had more time in Chicago. Since we were driving to Colorado, we arrived late one night and only spent the next full day and night, then left the next morning. We did meet friends for lunch and dinner, walked Michigan Ave., took the architectural boat tour on the river, did a teensy bit of shopping. It was raining off and on that day, but not too much of a hindrance. We both remarked on how friendly people were in Chicago, and helpful. Gotta love the Midwest!

I looked at the hotel's website and I guess we were extremely lucky with our rate. Because it looks to be about $209/night, with a 3 or 5 night minimum ordinarily. We were just lucky they had a room for us and cut us a deal.
>-