Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

We came, we talked we ate: SF Bay Area Fodorite GTG!

Notices

Old Jul 27th, 2001, 08:14 PM
Betsy

Hi all interested Fodorites.

And a great time was had by all 18 friendly Fodorites who gathered at Sharon and Tim's beautiful Russian
Hill home for wine and conversation last night. It was so much fun matching faces with on-line personas as
we met for the first time. The high noise level reflected our exuberance and enjoyment. Soon we set out
through the foggy SF night to a local Italian bistro where we continued conversations about past travel
experiences and future travel dreams.

Kavey and Pete won first prize (if we'd had one) for having traveled the farthest, from London, to join us.
Art, who was attending his third GTG, won second prize for flying up from LA. Barbara and Albert drove
down from Napa, Joanna and Agyeman came from Sacramento, and Diane from Santa Rosa. Kavey's relatives
and Betsy and Mark and Linda came up from the Peninsula. John drove across the bridge from the East Bay
and Abby and Sharon and Tim live in SF.

Our server wondered who, exactly, we were. Someone filled her in and we recruited her to the Fodor ranks
as she is planning a trip to Italy soon.

As the all-to-short evening ended there were many hugs and promises to do it all over again soon. Many
thanks to each one of you who made this a special evening.

Any other attendees want to comment?

PS: An important tip for future GTG planners--we agreed that next time we wanted to meet for a potluck in
someone's home as the restaurant setting provided limited opportunity for mingling and conversation. We
overcame the obstacle by switching seats between dinner and dessert, but we wished there had been more
freedom to move around during the evening.

Old Jul 27th, 2001, 09:49 PM
Sarah

Betsy - Thanks for sharing! It's always nice to hear about Fodorites getting together and having a good time. With some of the negative stuff that is said on this forum, it's good to see that the real purpose of this site lives on - bringing travelers together to meet and share their experiences and give one another advice on how to make our next travels even better. Thanks again for sharing.

Old Jul 28th, 2001, 04:04 AM
Judy

Hi Betsy, it sounded like it was a great fun! I hope our Atlanta gathering is just as sucessful. Do you take any pics? Would love to see them!
Judy

Old Jul 28th, 2001, 06:31 AM
Betsy

Re photos of the event: The flashbulbs were popping all evening. I hope someone will provide a link to a site where we can view them. Stay tuned.

Old Jul 29th, 2001, 11:40 AM
Kavey

Hi All

Firstly, to repeat what I posted to this thread in the Europe Forum, a HUGE thanks to Betsy for pulling together the organising... Both Sharon and I were travelling in the days preceding and really left Betsy to pull the strings. Also a massive thanks to Sharon and Tim for welcoming us into their beautiful home (very jealous) and sharing with us those fabulous SF views...

Almost enough to make my give my little old London terrace and pledge allegiance.

We had a wonderful wonderful evening and I really enjoyed meeting everyone. I wish I could have chatted more with some of you, I hope if you come to London, I can meet you again for coffee or dinner.

I will post some info soon on our trip, we stayed in teh Andrews in SF and the Camellia Inn in Healdsburg and I want to comment too on some restaurants we enjoyed.

Thanks again and big waves at all who attended...

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 09:16 AM
Betsy

Go over to the Europe Forum to see a link to photos of this premier event. You may need to search a bit.

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 09:20 AM
Betsy

Got it, thanks to S. Fowler.

Go to http://geocities.com/dhfsbf/fodorite/fodor.htm and then click on the San Francisco link. It will load slowly as
the images are fairly large -- but it's worth it to see all those happy "fodorite" faces -- look carefully -- one person is wearing the infamous pin!

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 09:48 AM
sharon

Thank you all for gathering for a beautiful evening of conversation and good food. Betsy, you are the best for pulling this all together. I think we should chalk this one up as a huge success!