We are going to D.C. and don't know anything

Old Jul 28th, 2005, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We are going to D.C. and don't know anything

My dad's step sister and I are going to DC.And don't now which hotel to stay in or what to do or what to see.Can you help us?The hotel needs to be under 100 dollars if at all possible. Thank you for your help and if you can help it try not to diss each others info,all the info helps!!
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 10:08 AM

When are you going?
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 10:10 AM
GoTravel

I'm not trying to be flip but my first order of business would be to go and buy a guidebook and start reading.

We don't know your ages, likes, dislikes, when, where, or what.

When you can narrow your perameters, we can help you more.

Old Jul 28th, 2005, 10:20 AM

Also not trying to be flip (OK, maybe just a wee bit), but if you don't know what to do or what to see or where to stay, why did you pick DC in the first place? If you can give us an idea as to why you chose DC to visit, it would be helpful in giving you pointers as to what you might enjoy.

Also, I'm curious as to why a first time poster would make a request to not "diss" others' info. Strange comment from someone claiming not to know anything.

My best advice would be to do a search on this forum since there are tons of very helpful posts about visiting the Wash. DC area. Once you've narrowed down your interests, come back with some specific questions and you'll probably get all the help you need. Good luck.
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 10:32 AM

First off, I'll second the advice you've already gotten. Do your basic research first, then come back with specific questions.

Second, I'll go out on a limb and guess that Ashlie is starr's neice:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34653324

So that thread would be another source of info for you.
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 10:34 AM

I have to agree with GoTravel and Judy24. When I was in the DC area 4 years ago I came here to get information and found a wealth of it. Really made my entire vacation a success! BUT! I had already done some research, and had some thing narrowed down first.

It really does help the folks here if you can let them know a little bit about you: your ages, do you like history, nightlife, museums, why does DC interest you? Do you kinda know how DC is laid out and which area you are interested in staying in? Do you like to shop? Letting people know these kinds of things lets them help you plan the trip that will be just what you want. (And there are LOTS of great people here!)
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 11:15 AM

Going to DC...don't know anything...which election did you win?
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 11:35 AM
LN

In this town it's almost impossible to get a hotel for anywhere close to $100.

Politicians keep telling their constituents to "Come on up here". Well it's not cheap in DC.

Do some homework as to what you'd like to see, call that congressman for some tickets to the Capitol and White House and decide when you would like to visit. Then send in a request and we'll try to help.
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 01:50 PM

Check out

capitolreservations.com

for discounts on hotels. Week-ends are when the rates really drop.
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 02:07 PM

to get a hotel room at the price you want, you won't get it in the city. if you can find 150 you will be lucky. stay outside near a metro stop and that could solve your problem. unless you are at dupont cirlce area, i'm not sure there's a lot of places to go at night anyway. think about alexandria and crystal city....
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 02:20 PM

You can certainly get a lovely hotel room in a handy location right in DC if you bid for it on Priceline.

Here's a tip for you: Discussion/advice boards like this are based on the generosity of volunteer posters, and on the implied give-and-take. Saying that you "don't know anything" including "which hotel to stay in or what to do or what to see," it means that you haven't read the past threads on your topics of interest. If you go to the little box at the top of hte page, choose Washington DC, and do a search, you'll find lots of interesting past discussions of where to go, where to stay, and what to do.

After you read those, you can come back and ask specific questions. We can help you more if we have some idea of what your interests are, when you're coming, and how long you'll be here.