Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   We are finally nearly all booked - still need 2 bed condo in Waikiki (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/we-are-finally-nearly-all-booked-still-need-2-bed-condo-in-waikiki-970391/)

loumike Mar 13th, 2013 06:22 PM

We are finally nearly all booked - still need 2 bed condo in Waikiki

With all your help,lots of googling and reading + searching the travel forums we now have a great holiday planned for our family of 4 with (17 and 19 yo young adults) for December.....now the long wait! I definitely have Hawaii fever the worst in my family and have to be careful how much I bring up the topic at home :-). All the reading and lovely stories from other fodorites makes this place such an exciting holiday destination. Thank you!
We will have 6 days first in Waikiki 1st week of December then off to Maui (Wailea) 8nights, Big Island Hali'i Kai Waikola 8nights, Christmas in Kauai Poipu Beach 8 nights and one night back in Waikiki before we fly home to Aus on NYE.
We plan to rent a car in Maui,B.I and Kauai.
I have seen a 2 bed condo at Aston Waikiki Beach tower through VRBO I like - any thoughts on this location/ any other ideas? - Would like something no more than $400-450/night and definitely min 2 bedroom. We really won't do the '2 rooms at a hotel' option.
This Waikiki part of our trip will be in the 1st week of Dec - is it as urgent to book that now / could I wait until May? The exciting news is I am now going to Waikiki with my husband in May for 1 week with his work so I could do a little 'real life' investigating whilst I was there???
Many thanks for any input you can offer.

tifa2276 Mar 13th, 2013 06:35 PM

I personally like that end of Waikiki close to the zoo. The beach area there is perfect for swimming as it has the beach wall. The Aston Waikiki Beach is right across from the beach so it couldn't get any closer. Never stayed there but stayed close to it before. Lot's of shops and restaurants right there, and it's not that far of a walk to the other end of Waikiki. It's close to Diamond Head and the restaurants on Kapahulu too. I think you'll have a great time. As for booking early - well early is always best to grab the best rates. Maybe you can book a refundable rate before your trip in May so that you at least have the option of switching?

Sounds like you have a fantastic vacation planned! I am envious you get to spend a month there on different islands. I love love love Hali'i Kai in Waikoloa Beach Resort and I want to stay there every time I go to the BI!

loumike Mar 13th, 2013 08:29 PM

Thanks tifa2276 - that is reassuring - I was at 2 minds of what to do - I will see what they can offer me.
After I had booked Hali'i Kai I saw in one of your wonderful reports you had been there and loved it - I am sure we will be the same. It seems to have heaps of favourable reviews and my dh and ds will enjoy the discount golf rates!We will have a car and it seems there is is a good body boarding surf beach 10 - 15 mins north. We wanted to stay at a place martym recommended down Kona way but couldn't work the dates to fit and Hali'i Kai seems to have something to suit us all.
This will be a great holiday celebrating 2 x turning 50!this year(ouch)as well as the last of school fees. We may do a little more holidaying on our own after this one. It will be so much easier accommodating only 2 of us!

tifa2276 Mar 14th, 2013 05:44 PM

What a wonderful year! Happy B-day to the both of you! Thanks for the comments for the trip reports. I enjoy writing them because I like to remember what I do on these trips. I sometimes look back at them and think, wow, I did all that?! Please report back on your trip. I'd love to hear your experiences!

tifa2276 Mar 14th, 2013 05:44 PM

What a wonderful year! Happy B-day to the both of you! Thanks for the comments for the trip reports. I enjoy writing them because I like to remember what I do on these trips. I sometimes look back at them and think, wow, I did all that?! Please report back on your trip. I'd love to hear your experiences!

Shar Mar 15th, 2013 06:54 AM

Waikiki Shore has 2 bedroom condos and it is right on the beach. The only condo directly on the beach. It is right next to DeRussy Park. I rented mine thru VRBO but you can also rent thru agencies. NO POOL however unless you rent thru the Outrigger which allows you to use the pool at the outrigger Reef which is right next door. Fantastic views, large lanai.parking at the complex. The one I rented only had 1 bathroom but it was quite large. Not sure if there are any 2 bathroom units. I enjoyed it....

loumike Mar 16th, 2013 02:39 AM

Thanks Shar - yes I looked at W.S. as well- found a great one through VRBO was undecided at first but think I will stick with Aston Waikiki Beach Tower as rates + taxes are comparable booking through the resort with option to change after our visit in May as suggested (VRBO option not avail for my dates)+ there is no parking fee and a pool without extra resort fees ? tennis court on pictures as well. I love that they are both so close to the beach and general Waikiki area.
tifa2276 - you have me inspired to keep a record this time! - my DH usually writes our logs but is more private than me so I will try to make an effort to report and share - I have learnt so much from others so I am sure I can do the same.

Shar Mar 18th, 2013 07:46 PM

the Waikiki Beach Tower is a great place. have stayed there too. You will enjoy it

loumike Mar 19th, 2013 12:18 AM

All booked now including cars. A great relief! At least we have the little trip in May now to make the time go a little faster :-)
I also booked the Aston Executive as our final night after Kauai and before we fly home as it is close to the airport. It looks great and reasonably priced compared to those on the beach in Waikiki at that time of year. Hopefully a good choice.
Thanks again to everyone for your help along the way - I look forward to telling you all about it.

tifa2276 Mar 19th, 2013 07:35 AM

Yay! Sounds great! Hope you do report back after your May trip too, to see what you have decided to keep/change in your plans.

loumike Mar 20th, 2013 03:10 AM

tifa2276 - Will do ...not sure I am quite up to your level ie keeping the reader guessing, action, suspense, drama, romance, amazing memory and storytelling! - You have set the level high but certainly an inspiration to others to follow your path. I will certainly at least keep a record, I hope I don't change my mind...but sure to have a few adventures to keep you all entertained!

tifa2276 Mar 20th, 2013 06:06 AM

Thanks loumike - I take a lot of pictures which helps me refresh my memory on what we did, and before entering any restaurant or food establishment, I usually take a picture of the sign or frontage outside so I can be sure of the restaurant, in addition to pictures of each dish that comes out. I do it more for my benefit and not just because I like to eat and take pictures of food. I like to remember my visits so that in a few years, if I ever visit the same place again, I can remember what I liked, what I didn't like, and perhaps have a completely different experience the next time. I actually take more picture with my iphone than anything else so that is my primary guide! :)