Search

Dulles Intl Airport, Washington DC to Williamsburg, VA - Train options

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2013, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dulles Intl Airport, Washington DC to Williamsburg, VA - Train options

Hey guys,

Can someone tell me what can I take from Dulles Airport DC to Williamsburg, VA, as in train? Cause I'll arrive on the airport late, like 18:30 and both Amtrak and Greyhound don't leave me much options, since the last train to VA for Amtrack is at 5PM, 5PM and something. I will also like a cheap option, as you can already see

Soooo, I would like to know your opinions, they would really help me out.

THANKS =)
Old Jun 1st, 2013, 11:18 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Check your options on flying to either Reagan National or BWI. Dulles is OK if you are transferring planes or renting a car.
National has its' own Metro stop so that you can get to Union Station easily from there. BWI has an Amtrak (no c) station with a shuttle from baggage claim to the platform.
You are correct that on weekends the last train with a stop at Willimasburg leaves WAS at 5PM. On weekdays the last train to WBG leaves at 2:30PM.
Could you fly to Richmond?
Old Jun 1st, 2013, 03:28 PM

You can't make it by train on the day of your arrival unless you rent a car, but it is not a good idea to get off a transatlantic flight and drive 175 miles, especially if it is the "wrong" side of the road for you.

You could go on to Richmond by train, bus or plane and go on the next day.
Old Jun 2nd, 2013, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Seems like I don't have many options then but to check-in at some hotel over there.
Old Jun 2nd, 2013, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

Tom, I can't, no
Old Jun 2nd, 2013, 02:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your cheapest option will be to rent a car at Dulles, one way probably using Enterprise, and driving from Dulles to Williamsburg, about 3 hours if the traffic gods favor you. That will cost you $125 or more plus gas. Agree that you wouldn't want to do it arriving from an international flight. Are you?

Dulles is 30 miles from downtown DC (train and bus stations) and Alexandria (train station in VA). If you stay overnight in the DC area don't do it near Dulles. At least position yourself to be closer to your ride the following day if it's not a car driven by you. There are generally two trains a day, morning and afternoon, going to Williamsburg from DC Union Sta or Alexandria. Don't know about the bus.

>>National has its' own Metro stop so that you can get to Union Station easily from there.
Old Jun 2nd, 2013, 05:09 PM

Train travel in the US is extremely limited except on certain specific routes - most commonly trains from Boston down through DC - which run every 30 minutes or so most of the day.

For other areas, train service is very limited and often doesn't go where you need to.

Not sure why you are going to Williamsburg - but once you get there it will be difficult to get around without a car.
Old Jun 12th, 2013, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

Thank you
Old Jun 12th, 2013, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

So how do I get from Dulles to Union Station?

@obxgirl What do you mean by National has its own stop? Does it exist any ride from Dulles straight to Union Station?
Old Jun 12th, 2013, 02:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Tomfuller said National has its own stop -- he meant Metro stop, not train stop.

No straight shot at the moment from Dulles to Union Station. For cheapest, get the 5A Metrobus (search here, lots of posts telling you how) to Rosslyn or L'Enfant Plaza metro stops. Change for Union Station or Alexandria/King Street which have metro and trains co-located. Alex/King Street is slightly closer in the direction to Williamsburg. I think all Amtrak trains stop there, but check.
Old Jun 14th, 2013, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks