Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Waverly Inn restaurant New York City (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/waverly-inn-restaurant-new-york-city-753510/)

bigsur7 Dec 16th, 2007 08:45 AM

Waverly Inn restaurant New York City

I have been trying for days to get a dinner reservation at the Waverly Inn in New York City. Every time I call the phone is busy.
Any suggestions?

TahitiTams Dec 16th, 2007 08:59 AM

You either have to know Graydon Carter to get an invite or be a celeb..
I wish you luck, since I hear it is really good.
They have no known phone number..

mrsgo Dec 16th, 2007 09:03 AM

Phone Lady Mendel's Tea Room and ask them. They are located in the inn. Good luck!

mp Dec 16th, 2007 09:15 AM

umm - mrsgo you are confusing the Waverly Inn restaurant in Greenwich Village with the Inn at Irving Place, a hotel over in Gramercy Park . . . .

bigsur7 - it's a trendy spot . . . if you're coming to NYC and staying in a hotel you could ask the concierge to try for you . . . or you could try walking in at an off hour (before 7:00 PM) but . . . don't hold your breath. Just keep hitting redial.

Ryan Dec 16th, 2007 09:49 AM

If you have an American Express Platinum Card - the regular Platinum Card and not one of the merchant co-branded cards - call their Concierge Service. They might be able to get a reservation on your behalf.

I've used them a few times to get reservations when I was told there were no openings.

BTW, I agree that unless you know someone, chances are you don't have the "right number" for the Waverly Inn.

If you are looking for a celebrity popular spot, both Balthazar and Da Silvano are on the circuit. Both are generally accessible for regular reservations.

marginal_margiela Dec 16th, 2007 10:00 AM

You can't get in. I don't care if you have a black AMEX card and you are Madonna.

Thingorjus

GoTravel Dec 16th, 2007 01:21 PM

Why anyone would want to give that pompous ass money is beyond me.

Instead go to WD-50.

bigsur7 Dec 16th, 2007 02:18 PM

Amex. Plat cant get in touch either.
To each their own GoTravel!

bigsur7 Dec 16th, 2007 02:25 PM

I just read on Forbes traveler that the Waverly Inn is one the toughest tables in the USA.
Thank you for your help.

GoTravel Dec 16th, 2007 02:41 PM

Did you try posting on Chowhound? It has an active foodies Manhattan board.

bigsur7 Dec 16th, 2007 03:31 PM

I will try....thank you for the suggestion.
My wife really wants to go here.

nytraveler Dec 16th, 2007 03:50 PM

Along with about 10,000 people already in NYC.

A VERY difficult table if you don;t know someone.

marginal_margiela Dec 16th, 2007 06:16 PM

My sister has a friend whose parents live in the penthouse at the Sherry Netherland. They have had Graydon on their yacht. These are the kind of people who get a table at the Waverly Inn.

Unless you have a connection, you simply can't get a table.

The reason the phone doesn't work is because you have to have the cell # of the restaurant's manager. If you don't have that #, you can't book.

Thingorjus

rbnwdln Dec 17th, 2007 03:45 AM

It's hard to believe that our old friend at Spy magazine has become the very individual whom Spy skewered in its heyday. Every time I see his Donald Trumpesque hair and self-satisfied smirk, I just shake my head. Waverly Inn, indeed.