Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Waterton/Glacier, Yellowstone and Grand Tetons (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/waterton-glacier-yellowstone-and-grand-tetons-689800/)

dudraig Mar 21st, 2007 07:21 AM

Waterton/Glacier, Yellowstone and Grand Tetons

I am starting an outline plan well in advance for my September 2008 vacation.
I will be flying into Calgary and want to visit Waterton/Glacier, Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks.
Any advice on how to split my 21 days between the parks would be appreciated.
Should I split my Waterton/Glacier and Yellowstone time between 2 areas within those parks?
Can I drive from Glacier to Yellowstone in 1 day or will I be missing anything on the way?
Main interests are sight seeing, scenic drives and short light hikes. Many thanks in advance.

Michael Mar 21st, 2007 09:17 AM

Make sure you visit the Museum of the Plains Indian just outside the east entrance of Glacier.

Helena has a pleasant late 19th century core and might be a nice overnight stop if you decide to do a leisurely drive.

I think that Yellowstone deserves more time than Glacier.

hilda Mar 21st, 2007 04:39 PM

Agree you need to concentrate on Yellowstone/ Tetons. We've spent 10 days there and havent seen it all. We spent 3 days in Glacier/Waterson and felt that was enough. People who hike say they need extra time in Glacier. You can easily drive Glacier to Yellowstone in a day, we stopped in Helena for a nice meal in the historical center and there was a historical tram tour we didnt have time to take. Since you have 21 days you need to get a guide book and see and do as much as possible on the way. There are western art museums and attractions of the old west to see. Fodors/Frommers books are helpful to plan itineraries. I sit and read thru them quickly in the bookstore then buy the one that seems most helpful

Photodog Mar 22nd, 2007 05:53 AM

I would first be sure you can take your rental into the US and then back into Canada without problems.

Entrance fees to Waterton Park does not allow you into Glacier. Both countries offer park passes which last for several days or longer depending on which pass you purchase. In the US the pass formerly known as National Parks Pass is now called America the Beautiful it now costs $80 for a calendar year (from date of purchase) but now covers entrance fees to all national lands including NPS, US Forest& BLM. If you want a pass to just one US park the fee at most have been raised to $25 and is good for a week. Yellowstone's pass is also good at Grand Teton's for same length of time.

In Waterton Lakes you can take a boat ride to Goat Haunt. There are several hikes to nearby lakes with good chance to see moose and a 100% chance for mosquitos. You need to take boat if you plan on hiking to Crypt Lake.

In Glacier would highly recommend visiting Many Glacier. Most summer evenings the park service has a spotting scope set up behind the hotel at the end of the road. Good area to view Grizzly.

Between Glacier and Yellowstone might want to stop at The National Bison Refuge near Moise, Mt. and near it is St Ignatius Mission with its frescos.

In Glacier they are repairing the Going to the Sun Road so allow for periodic road closures. They have also started a shuttle service (voluntary) if you want to take it instead of driving.

tovarich Mar 22nd, 2007 08:47 AM

We came from Banff and went through yoho park,followed the Columbia valley and stayed overnight in Waterton.The next day we did the Going to the Sun road and stayed the night in Kalispell.Then we went to Helena,visited the Capitol and the next day went to Gardiner and stayed days visiting Yellowstone.Then on to the G.Tetons to stay in Jackson.Paul