Watching Sandhill Cranes in the end of March in Nebraska

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10th, 2006, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is anyone familiar with this place where you can see thousands of cranes during migration? I would like to see them but only only available weekend I have is March 31st-April 1st. Is it too late to see them this late? I hope to see thousands of them.

Any hotel convenient to places designated for watching cranes? Thanks for any information and recommendations
Old Dec 10th, 2006, 02:10 PM

I usually watch them in my back yard. They love to clean up underneath the bird feeders. They come running when I go out to refill them, they know I will always put a little extra down for them....... This site may give you some information on the 2007 season.

http://www.rowesanctuary.org/viewing%20info.htm
Old Dec 10th, 2006, 08:06 PM
Tess

Are you flying in or driving in? If driving, you'll see thousands of cranes along I-80--your trip timing is perfect, by the way.

RedRock's link to tours is a good one. In Kearney, I'd recommend the Holiday Inn, Hampton Inn, Wingate Inn or Holiday Inn Express. I personally would stay away from the Ramada or the Days Inn.

If you're looking for other touristy things to do, check out the Great Platte River Road Archway Monument that spans I-80 by Kearney. It's an interesting snapshot of western history.

Old Dec 11th, 2006, 05:06 AM
Original Poster

I made reservations at Holiday Inn Express because each room has a microwave and a small refrigerator. You both gave me helpful information and I thank you. We are very interested in history and culture of any place. I read about the museum in Kearney. Any other recommendations for that time of the year? is there a place where we can see prairie chickens? We have three days for visiting the area. Should we extend our visit for one more day?
Old Dec 11th, 2006, 01:07 PM

There is a webcam maybe at the Rowe Santuary site already mentioned I know if you do a google search for crane webcam you can get it. There should be some there yet along with snows and canadas.
Old Dec 11th, 2006, 04:28 PM
Tess

Mama,
Am just on the way out the door for my daughter's choir concert--let me put my thinking cap on and will write more tomorrow

Old Dec 11th, 2006, 05:02 PM

On your way to Kearney you could go up to the Ft Robinson area and Toadstool Park. Another landmark is Chimney Rock but that would be taken you back to the west end of the panhandle. Stop for lunch in Paxton at Ollie's Big Game Restaurent amazing collection of photos and trophy animals.
Old Dec 11th, 2006, 05:12 PM

You might also check out the Stuhr Museum in Grand Island or Harold Warp's Pioneer Village in Minden.
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 04:57 AM
Original Poster

Great suggestions and I appreciate each of them.

Well, RedRock, looks like we should come to your backyard. Do you charge admission?

Tess, do we need to request any specific room at HIE? How far is it located from the highway? Is it close to the center of the town, museum, restaurants? Do you have any recommendations for a nice healthy dinners? We rather not eat at any fast food places. I just printed out information on the Great Platte River Road Archway Monument. Will definitely go there but I think we need to add one more night to our visit in Kearney. I am not sure if three days is enough time and we want to see prairie chickens but from what I read there are no tours to watch them until April 1st. I'll be waiting for more from you. Was your daughter's concert successful?

hulajake, great suggestion regarding webcam. I checked it out and it is not available until cranes start arriving. I bookmarked it. How far from Kearney are the Ft Robinson area, Toadstool Park and Chimney Rock? What do you enjoy about these places?

Maple, I already printed out all information on the Stuhr Museum in Grand Island. How much time needs to be dedicated to this place? I'll be checking some time today info on Harold Warp's Pioneer Village in Minden.

Once again, thank you so much for all your suggestions and please keep them coming.

Old Dec 12th, 2006, 08:14 AM

Here in Florida you have a good number of the Sandhills that stay here year round. The ones that I have been feeding were raised by their parents and brought to the yard as little fuzz balls, as were their parents. They all wonder thru the neighborhood enjoying all the food that is available from the feeders. Its a lot warmer here than it will be along the Platte River in NE in March.

You are a long way from Fort Robinson, its located west of Chadran on US-20 at the jct of SR-2/71 near Crawford....
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 09:57 AM

Sounds like one of those things one must do before ...
M
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 01:09 PM

Too bad about the webcam as the cranes are there twicw a year usually the same as the geese which there is still alot of around here.Red Rock is right about Ft Robinson and Toadstool Park is in the same area also throw in Mt Rushmore if you have never been there. Chimney Rock is close to Bayard, Ne not too far from where you would turn off I80 to go north to Ft Robinson. You could see most of these in a day may want to add a second day if you add Rushmore.
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 01:20 PM

Forgot to mention the panhandle area is a good area for mule deer and wild turkey may see your prarie chicken to. Anyone that hasn't seen three or four hundred thousand of these birds combined with an equal number of geese in such a small area would be stunned. There is usually some whooping cranes mixed in mass if you keep your eyes open you can spot them.
Old Dec 15th, 2006, 03:51 AM
Original Poster

Thank you again RedRock and hulajake for more information.
Mikemeo, I agree. This place and many more is on our own list of places to see before we die.
Old Dec 17th, 2006, 08:24 PM
Tess

Mama,
Sorry it's taken me so long to add my 2 cents. Let's just say that it's Dec. 17 and I've yet to wrap one present or write one card and it's not looking good on either end for tomorrow. I think for once I'm just enjoying the season!

Anyhow, the suggestions you've received mirror many of my own. I live near Chimney Rock and would definitely make a trip west if you have an extra day or so. Ole's in Paxton is a fun place to eat (don't stop at Ole's truck stop right off the interstate--turn right and head to downtown Paxton--that's where the restaurant is).

Twenty miles or so west of Chimney Rock is Scottsbluff and the Scotts Bluff National Monument. If the weather's nice, you can hike up the monument. The museum provides a good peek into Old West history and you can still see the wagon train ruts outside (ask a park ranger to point them out).

Ft. Robinson is just awesome. If you have time, you can stay overnight there in the refurbished officers' barracks. On your way up, take 385 north and you can zip by Carhenge north of Alliance. Very campy!

As for Kearney restaurants, for an interesting fast food experience, try a Runza at the Runza restaurant. Runza is a Nebraska chain that features homemade cabbage burgers--a beef and cabbage mixture enclosed in a bread roll (not like my grandma made but very tasty). Barista's is a nice coffeehouse in downtown Kearney. Pane Bello (north of town by the mall) is an upscale fast food type place with wireless Internet access and a nice variety of lighter food like grilled Panini sandwiches, soups and salads. Skeeter Barnes (right by the Holiday Inn Express) is good BBQ. Word is John Madden stops here whenever he's passing by on I-80

Old Dec 18th, 2006, 06:25 AM

You are running a little late but it should still be worth going. In addition to Rowe Sanctuary, look at Crane Meadows: http://www.cranemeadows.org/

I went up two years ago. With apologies to those that have already viewed my trip report, here is the report and pictures: http://www.mightymac.org/neb2.htm

Keith