Washington to New Hampshire,I-95?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 05:54 AM
Miriam

Hello,

I just booked my flight for my New England trip in June. Since I was able to use FF-miles the flight is free of charge. The downside is that I`ll have to fly into Dulles and drive north.
I had a look on the map and used Mapquest and the logical conclusion is to use I-95.
But since I`ve made very bad experiences on former trips with that route regarding traffic jams I now think about an alternative.
Do you have any suggestions?
I`ll arrive 5:10pm(Tuesday)and my destination in N.H. is near Keene.

Thanks in advance

Miriam

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 05:56 AM
Miriam

Hello,

sorry, I`ll arrive 3:10pm.

Miriam

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 06:02 AM
Audrey

Miriam, since you are going to Keene, you need to take 95 only as far as Connecticut (New Haven or Hartford) and pick up Rt. 91 north there. There is a shortcut to Keene off 91 via Rt. 10 which will take you through Northfield, Mass.,and Winchester, NH, into Keene. Or a little longer is to stay on Rt. 91 north and take the exit in Brattleboro, Vermont, for Rt. 9 which will also take you right into Keene.

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 06:15 AM
betsy

I would try and avoid I-95 in CT--traffic can be horrible. That said, take I-95 North from Washington. Not too far after you cross the George Washington Bridge in NYC is I-684. Take 684 North to I-84 East to I-91 North. This way you'll avoid I-95 in CT which as I stated earlier can be a mess! Hope this helps. I would plan on this trip taking 7-8 hours.

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 06:18 AM
Howard

Here's an even better route:
Take I-95 into the NJ Turnpike (which is I-95). Take Exit 11 off the turnpike for the Garden State Parkway. Follow the Garden State Parkway to the Tappan Zee Bridge (Route 287). Go over the bridge and follow 287 to Exit 9A, which is Route 684. Follow 684 to Exit 9, Route I-84 East. Follow 84 to Hartford where you pick up I-91 North. Then pick Audrey's directions on the previous post.
This route saves you the aggravation of Route 95 in NY and Connecticut. It'll also save you time!
The bad news io that you will be leaving Dulles at a bad time traffic-wise, assuming that you probably won't get onto the road until 4 p.m.
The good news is that by the time you get halfway into New Jersey, the busy commuting hours will be over!

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 07:05 AM
Joss

I do this route all the time and have gotten to the point where I will ANYTHING to avoid I-95 and the Jersey Pike, particularly around the NYC area.

The following looks much out of your way, but I assure you it only adds maybe 30 minutes to the non-rush-hour driving time -- and it's never non-rush-hour, so you probably break even or gain time.
It also puts you through some pretty areas and you'll arrive with your feathers unruffled by the body-check driving on the "regular" route.

From Dulles through Wilmingon you don't really have a good alternative to I-95 (although I have a slight preference for taking the Balto-Wash Parkway to Baltimore). The tunnel on I-95 through Baltimore is slightly more likely to be backed up than the Harbor Tunnel ?I895?, and at rush hour going around the Balt. Beltway may be a better idea.

Wilmington: you have the choice of I-95 or I-495. Don't panic, they come out to the same point north of Wilmington; I usually take 495 at rush hour.

Shortly after I-495 rejoins I95, as you approach Phila., you'll come to I476 around Phila. Take it. Here's where it seems to get tricky. Hang in there and follow me on a map.

Exit on 611 north to Horsham, Edison, etc. Don't be intimidated by maps that make this look like an expedition on dirt roads -- it isn't; the road moves well -- it's a pretty detour through Bucks County, one of the east's prettiest areas. It will join Rt. 202 around Doylestown and take you to New Hope. These towns are charming, have great shops and restaurants. Get lunch there or, better, stay the night. (But have a reservation ahead of time -- it's popular in June.)

Take 202 into New Jersey (it moves right along) to where it runs into I287. Go north toward Morris Plains to where it runs into I80 near Parsippany. Follow I80 to the Garden State Parkway (you'll be at the very northern end of it, little congestion).

As Howard said, the Garden State Pkwy will take you to the NYThruway to the Tappan Zee Bridge. Do that. Pick up his directions to get through Connecticut and then Audrey's from there.

Voila!

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 07:32 AM
Miriam

Hello

and thank you all for your suggestions.
I`m sitting here with my Rand McNally atlas and try to figure out how I will do the map-reading after 9 hours Transatlantic flight, although I´m normally pretty good at it.
But in the end it`s vacation and if I pointed in the wrong direction I´ll just return...I just don`t know how patient the driver will be.

Miriam

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 08:27 AM
Ann

From Dulles, get on the Dulles Access road, which will take you to 495 N. Take this to 95 N.

You will be hitting both routes during rush hour. Expect major back-ups.

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 10:24 AM
Howard

A brief postscript to my comments and Joss' directions: I purposely directed you far away from the New York City area. The lower part of the NJ Turnpike isn't as bad. By taking the Garden State Parkway, you also avoid the congestion around Newark and Newark Airport.

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 10:50 AM
Neal Sanders

I pulled out the same Rand McNally atlas and saw a completely different route as making sense (the problem is, we all live along the coast and so think in terms of DC-to-Baltimore-to-Philly-to New York, etc.).

Instead, head west out of Dulles on the Toll Road extension and go to Leesburg; head north on Route 15 through Frederick, Gettysburg and on to Harrisburg; then on I-81 through Pennsylvania to Binghamton; take I-88 to Schenectady, then meander across Route 9 in New York, Vermont and New Hampshire.

It would take Miriam though some of the prettiest parts of the country and, in June, it ought to be spectacular, with everything in bloom.

Does anyone else think this makes sense?

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 12:07 PM
Joss

Me again. Interesting how serious a study we've all made of this!

Miriam: If you can get access to more detailed roadmaps than are usually available in European bookstores, it will help a lot in navigating our congested East Coast. A problem with the Rand-McNally atlas is that it may not be detailed enough re:metropolitan areas. But if that's all you have, tear out the pages you need, but NB: for New Jersey because the detail around Phila. is better than the map at Penn. and use the map for Southern NY to get you into Connecticut.

Have you considered staying overnight in Virginia (near Dulles), resting up picking up a set of good road maps at a US bookstore in the morning before you leave?

Howard: I second the plan to avoid Newark, but I've had some horrendous sojourns on the Garden State at the toll gates -- it's also a little hairy for people not used to the high-speed, push-and-shove style of driving, esp. through areas with little or no median.

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 12:12 PM
Audrey

Miriam, I think Neal's plan is the best...

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 12:12 PM
Joss

...and Neal, your suggestion is indeed pretty IF it's not socked in with fog.
Both 15 and I-81 are notorious for being foggy, esp. in mountainous areas ca. Wilkes-Barre, and if it isn't foggy then it's rainy. But mainly it's a LOT longer than the other plan -- much more winding than your map would suggest and up-and-down because of mountains. It would add many, many hours to the trip, I'm afraid. (I've done it several times, will never do it in winter again -- the weather on I-81, which follows the spine of a string of mountains, is gorrawful.)

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 01:09 PM
Howard

I inferred that Miriam's intent was to get to her New Hampshire destination as expeditiously as possible. Obviously, Neal's route is much more scenic. That's one several scenic options available. I guess Miriam has to let us know what her preference is.
Joss, I would think that by the time she got to the Garden State Parkway that day, the traffic would have eased up.

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 01:36 PM
kwl

Here's a thought - scrap the whole idea of driving from Virginia to NH, and just fly up there. You can probably find flights from Dulles to Manchester, NH or Boston on USAirways at around $129 or so round trip. The flight would only be approx. an hour or so, and you can rent the car once you get there. The money that you will spend on the airfare will be worth the peace of mind driving that far and dealing with all the traffic. Unless, you want to stop in any towns along the way, I would fly. We travel to Boston or Cape Cod at least 3 times a year, and almost always fly b/c NY and NJ are horrendous.

But, if you do drive, plan to leave Dulles after 7 pm to avoid the awful DC traffic (I leave here and do it every day). Or, spend the night, but make sure you leave to hit NYC before 3 pm, but leave after 9 am from DC; both to avoid rush hour.

Good luck with your decisions. Do consider flying.

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 03:28 PM
Miriam

Hello,
thanks to you all for your time and thoughts.
Howard: you`re right, my original plan was indeed to get to N.H. as fast as possible, maybe just a stop for dinner and a beer for me(not for the driver) and then continue driving.
Since Neal made that wonderful suggestion, I now have a better idea.
Depending on how we feel after the flight(it`s always different) we either take Howard`s advice or Neal`s with an overnight stay somewhere when it gets dark. Since we have to drive back to fly out of Dulles to Tampa anyway, I nearly think it`s better to follow Neal`s advice on my way back, starting early in the morning.

Again, thanks you`re great

Miriam

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 04:49 PM
Donna

I live in New Hampshire and have driven many, many round trips to just west of Newark, and Baltimore (and I've never encountered any serious traffic in the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel, even leaving the city at 5PM on a weekday). My favorite route is Howard's (bless you, Howard, for saving me the typing and double checking) for a multitude of reasons (primary avoiding I-95 from Northern NJ, NY, and through CT, which has been a mess for many years). It's a long drive, though (8 or 9 hours with no stops, depending upon construction), and not one I'd do without an overnight along the way, after a nine hour transcontinental flight (well, jet lag gets me upon arriving home, as opposed to while there when traveling to and from Europe). I'd second the recommendation to fly from Dulles to Manchester, NH (which is about 55 miles and just over an hour driving to Keene). Or, plan to stay overnight somewhere along the way. Are you a AAA member? If so, you could order a Trip-Tik for your preferred route (avoiding as much construction as possible) and then annotate your favorite hotel chains along the way from the Tour Guides for the states you'll drive through.

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 08:01 AM
Larry

Here's another vote for Howard's route. Neal's route would be much longer, and although scenic, I'm wondering what you would see along that route you won't be seeing anyway when you get to your destination (short of stopping and exploring along the way, which reduces the amount of time you can explore your destination).

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 11:43 AM
Joss

Back again.

The reason I took Miriam around Phila. rather than through it was that there is currently some construction on I-95 near Phila. But it never occurred to me that Miriam would try to drive straight through to NH after a 5 pm arrival!

KWL's suggestion, however, makes more sense than most! Fly it -- the trade-off is more time in beautiful NH and you won't miss much in between.

However, I actually