Washington National Cathedral

Old Nov 9th, 2000, 12:40 PM
pcw

Washington National Cathedral

We would like to attend Sunday worship services at the Cathedral during our visit to DC the week of Thanksgiving, 2000. Is it difficult to get in (extremely crowded?) and is casual clothing appropriate, since we will be sight seeing the remainder of the day.

Old Nov 10th, 2000, 06:32 AM
karen

I'm not sure if this is much help. When we went to take the tour on a Sunday a few years ago, the only part open during service was the grounds and lobby. The people leaving the service were wearing traditional "church clothes" and not the "Jesus wore sandals, you can too" casual wear of some churches now-a-days.

The National Cathedral is not located that close to anything (including metro) so I would suggest wearing your church clothes and change after the service if the do allow visitors.

I do not know if they allow guests.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Old Nov 10th, 2000, 06:39 AM
Helen

pcw:
You are more than welcome to attend Sunday Services at the National Cathedral. It is a very large church and I have never seen it extremely crowded. Casual as in Dockers and walking shoes? I think that is fine. Some folks get all dressed up in their Sunday Best. Some folks the other extreme. I don't think it really matters what you wear especially if you plan to be out all day sightseeing. Enjoy your visit to DC!

Old Nov 10th, 2000, 06:48 AM
nancy

We visited the National Cathedral during a recent trip with our teen children. It was the highlight of the trip for grownups and young people alike. We took the tour after the worship service (don't know if it is available during the holidays) and had the most enthusiastic and knowledgeable tour guide who absolutely swept us away with her love and excitement of this beautiful national treasure. As for the service and dress code I would simply suggest that you wear clothing that would be appropriate for any church visitor in any congregation anywhere. That is, church visitors should dress in a manner that is consistent with the members of that church. Just don't forget, the National Cathedral is not a tourist attraction, it is an active, vibrant worship place for thousands of local DC residents. Enjoy your visit!