Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Washington DC with Kids (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/washington-dc-with-kids-919209/)

Krystyna Jan 11th, 2012 04:22 PM

Washington DC with Kids

We are thinking of doing a short trip(3-4 days) to Washington DC with 2 kids (ages 10 &12). Is there enough there to do and see?

cferrb Jan 11th, 2012 04:33 PM

There is more than enough to do and see. Be prepared for it to be really hot during the summer.

tchoiniere Jan 11th, 2012 06:18 PM

If anything, you will find you don't have enough time to do everything you want to do. Pick up a guidebook and come back with a proposed itinerary.

Here is a link to my Trip Report from last year that hopefully helps you.

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...eek-of-fun.cfm

longhorn55 Jan 11th, 2012 07:21 PM

I agree with tchoinere that a good place to start is by reading a guidebook. There are several good guides which focus on visiting D.C. with kids. You might check if your library carries them.

tenthumbs Jan 12th, 2012 11:26 AM

There is TOO much to see and do! Let the kids' interests determine what you see. If you're going during the summer, it's gonna be HOT. Plan to be in the museums during the day; walk the Mall and see the monuments at night when the heat isn't quite so beastly.

ElendilPickle Jan 12th, 2012 12:51 PM

We (my husband, 16yo son and I) spent five nights in DC in October and didn't have any problem finding things to do. What are your interests?

If you would like to read my trip report, click on my screen name and you'll find it.

Lee Ann

cferrb Jan 12th, 2012 04:12 PM

One of the highlights of our trip several years ago was walking along the mall from the Lincoln Memorial to the Washington Memorial late at night, and walking among the fireflies. For kids from Southern California, that was magical.

BetsyG Jan 12th, 2012 05:14 PM

yes! and they will love it, great ages for DC. Get a tour of the Capitol through your reps office, take a trolley tour, see the Declaration of Independence, Arlington, take a short tour at the Air & Space Museum (we fell into this & it was great), lunch at Smithsonian. There is so much to do, my kids would love to go back!

ElendilPickle Jan 13th, 2012 12:32 PM

I'll second BetsyG's recommendation of taking a Capitol tour. If you want to do this, you need to contact your representative's office immediately. They should have an online form where you can request tours of the Capitol, White House, and other places.

Lee Ann

Krystyna Jan 14th, 2012 02:41 PM

Thanks to everyone for your advice. We are from the Toronto area so some historical sites might not have the same significance for the kids and we don't have a rep to see.

suewoo Jan 14th, 2012 03:49 PM

Ok, now I understand your original question. Most United States citizens understand the significance and the unbelievable beauty of DC.

So your children will not be interested in US history. Then go to the Air and Space Museum. Then take them to the Vietnam, Korea, WWII and MLK memorials. It will help them learn how to think.

MichelleY Jan 14th, 2012 07:02 PM

I would also throw in the Natural History Museum just for the gems and jewels exhibit!!!!!

tchoiniere Jan 14th, 2012 08:00 PM

Agree about the Air Space and Natural History. Don't forget about the Zoo as well. The SPy Museum would work. I loved the Newseum but it might be too much for your kids. Look at it online and decide. It was our favorite museum...Still think that the monuments would be a must-see even for Canadiens as they still had a huge impact on your history.

tenthumbs Jan 14th, 2012 08:28 PM

A visit to DC might get your children interested in American history. I was never particularly interested in English or Italian history until I went to England and Italy! :)

I agree with suewoo and tchoiniere about the Air and Space Museums (there are actually two, the one on the Mall and the lesser known Udvar-Hazy out near Dulles airport), the Natural History Museum, and the Zoo. When my daughter was 12, she liked the Museum of Crime and Punishment, but it may have been because she was with her grandfather, who is retired law enforcement.........

obxgirl Jan 15th, 2012 11:59 AM

DC is an international destination as well being a multi-cultural city in its own right. Hard to imagine a couple of Canadian kids couldn't find something to occupy themselves with for 3 or 4 days. You've received lots of good suggestions.

Do they have any interests?

fourfortravel Jan 15th, 2012 02:32 PM

We've been dragging our children all around the world since they were 3 (they're now 10 and 15), and I always make it a point to give a small primer on our next destination (even if it's just reading aloud from the guidebooks during dinner) to give them some context for the trip. With a destination like DC, I'd suggest starting with the National Archives, where our country's founding documents, the "Charters of Freedom" reside; this is pretty unique in its own right. Toss in the "Big 3" (Air & Space, Natural History, and American History) and the war memorials, and you've got the start of a lovely holiday.

debsnj Jan 15th, 2012 07:41 PM

I don't know if it is still open to the public but when I was young I loved the Bureau of Printing and Engraving. It was fun to see so much money! Same for the FBI but I think that is closed to the public.

cferrb Jan 15th, 2012 09:49 PM

If you do start with the Archives, be aware that the line can be really long. Try to find out when the best time of day is to go.