Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Washington DC Trip Plan (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/washington-dc-trip-plan-191144/)

Sonya Apr 3rd, 2002 12:17 PM

Washington DC Trip Plan

As many of you know I am planning a family trip to DC this June. It will be myself, my husband and our kids (6 & 9). I have gotten such great info here and have finally worked up a plan. I won't bore you with our day to day plans but here are the major sights we plan to visit:<BR><BR>THE MALL<BR>Arlington Cemetery<BR>BEP<BR>Jefferson Memorial<BR>Hirshhorn Museum<BR>Lincoln Memorial<BR>Air & Space<BR>National Archives??<BR>Museum of Am History<BR>Museum of Nat History<BR>Old Post Office Pavillion<BR>FDR Memorial<BR>Smithsonian Castle<BR>Vietnam Vets Memorial <BR>Washington Monument<BR>White House (if Possible)<BR>CAPITOL HILL<BR>Library of Congrss?<BR>Nat'l Postal Museum<BR>Union Station<BR>Capitol??<BR>DOWNTOWN<BR>FBI<BR>Fords Teheatre/Petersen House<BR>Nat'l Geographic Hall<BR>UPPER NORTHWEST<BR>National Zoo<BR>Washington Nat'l Cathedral???<BR>SOUTHEAST<BR>Washington Navy Yard<BR>VIRGINIA SUBURBS<BR>Mount Vernon<BR>Newseum<BR>Old Town Alexandria???<BR><BR>USMC Band on the Mall Weds night<BR>Monuments by moonlight evening tour<BR><BR>Those items with a question mark we are unsure about. I have plotted it out and believe that this is all doable with 8 days in town. If not, we will cut the least interesting. <BR><BR>So, what (if anything) are we missing?? Thanks for your input!

irene Apr 3rd, 2002 12:34 PM

While at the Air & Space museum you must see at least 1 of the IMAX films offered. My favorite (and first) is To Fly. It is just wonderful. By no means should you leave out (?) the Captial and National Cathedral. The Smithsonian Castle is really more of a set of museums dedicated to various subjects rather than a 'castle' visit. While the following things would be good to visit, if you left them out it wouldn't be a big deal (especially for your kids): Old Town Alexandria, Old Post Office Pavilion. Have fun.

travellyn Apr 3rd, 2002 12:36 PM

I'd take the National Cathedral off the ??? list, maybe trading it for the Washington Monument. There are some pretty neat kid-friendly activities at the Cathedral such as brass rubbing, etc. The lawn is a nice place to relax if the weather's good; the view is good from there.<BR><BR>I went to Washington DC 3 years ago with a 6 and 9 year old. The things they fondly remember now were the Capitol tour, some sort of nasty (my opinion, not theirs) bug experience involving giant cockroaches for children at the Natural History Museum, the DC Ducks tour, hanging out on the mall, and riding the Metro. They much preferred activities in places that had special children's programs over general sightseeing.

Ellen Apr 3rd, 2002 12:36 PM

Sonya, honey, you have listed about 30 things for your 8 days. Yikes! I'm not sure what you consider "doable" with kids that age, but that list sure looks overwhelming to me, and I've taken my kids to DC a couple of times. I'd strongly encourage you to shorten that list. DC will still be there in a few years and you can bring them back for things that are too old or too much right now.<BR><BR>Too shorten that list, you can take Ford's Theatre and the National Archives off the list -- they're closed for renovations. Well, Ford's will close in "mid-June". The FBI is giving no tours until further notice and I think the White House might be only giving tours for school groups. The Newseum closed in March and will re-open at a different location in a few years. Just how much research have you actually done??<BR><BR>I can't imagine kids age 6 an 9 being inerested in the Hirschhorn, the Library of Congress, or the Jefferson Memorial. The Old Post Office Pavilion is redundant if you're going up the Washington Monument. Mount Vernon will eat up the greater part of a day.<BR><BR>Please try to do fewer things in more depth; everybody will have a better time and get more out of the trip.

Chris Apr 3rd, 2002 12:47 PM

Though I think Ellen's tone is a little snotty ("just how much research have you actually done?"), I do agree with every one of her points, speaking as a mother myself who has seen/done those things with and without a kid.

jeri Apr 3rd, 2002 12:49 PM

I live in the DC area and am sorry to tell you that the Newseum recently closed. They are going to move into DC, but won't reopen for quite a while. <BR><BR>In my opinion, another thing on your list to skip is the White House. You have to wait in line a long time and only get to see a few rooms. Also, given your kids are 6 and 9, unless they're better behaved than mine at that age, the Hirshhorn Museum is not a great bet. I suggest replacing it with the Capitol Children's Museum - you can walk there from Union Station. Also, I believe the Sackler Gallery (Asian art) has a children's program on weekends. You might want to check into that.<BR><BR>It's really a great city for tourists as most of the attractions are clustered together as you have noted. Have a great trip.<BR>

Ellen Apr 3rd, 2002 12:52 PM

Yes, Chris, you're right, that was snotty of me and I apologize. <BR><BR>But I can't help thinking how unrealistic that list is -- in addition to now knowing that several places werre closed, I fear that Sonya doesn't understand that some of them like the Smithsonians (Air & Space, Natural History, zoo, etc.) can take up quite a bit of time. <BR><BR>And by the way, the Smithsonian "Castle" is juts an office building and visitors center with an orientation film. Nothing really castle-y about it except the outside.

dc Apr 3rd, 2002 12:55 PM

This is an exhaustive list of everything you could possibly do in DC. You and your family are going to be worn out if you try to do everything on this list in 8 days.<BR><BR>You're definitely not missing anything, but probably won't get into the White House, Capitol or FBI tours. I'd skip the Old Post Office Pavillion (unless you're there for the food court), the Postal Museum, and National Geographic Hall. I think the Smithsonian Castle is just administrative offices. You can see the main items at the Archives in 10 minutes depending on the crowds. IMHO, the Newseum is a waste of time compared to the rest on the list, esp. if this is your first visit. Do Georgetown OR Old Town Alex, but not both. I've lived here for 10 years and have never once been to the Washington Navy Yard. What's that all about?

jpm Apr 3rd, 2002 12:57 PM

Sonya,<BR><BR>Despite what some have said, it is better to overplan than underplan. At least you have a plan. I'm sure some of the sites will take far less time than you imagine while others will take far more. Go with what you've got. Check stuff off as you do it, but don't be surprized if you still have a list of things to do on that next trip. I see you did not list the Holocost Museum (appropriately as your children are too young), so you can add it when you return in a few years when your children are older.<BR><BR>Be aware that security at the Whitehouse is much tougher now and may require additional steps to get in, my nephew is going with a school group this summer and they have already had to send in documentation.<BR><BR>Also, not sure if the national archives have reopened - I know they were closing for about 2 years (the exhibits of the Constitution, etc.).<BR><BR>Whatever you do, you should have a great time. I would definitely try to work in time to at least stop by the National Gallery. You don't have to view the entire exhibit (in fact don't even try), but do try to see a few of the "biggies."

RnR Apr 3rd, 2002 01:01 PM

Sonja, you need to reduce that list - and to help you I brought five into my office and ran a test. If as many as three hit the floor and rolled under my desk, we struck off the offending item. This is taking time, due to numerous bathroom breaks. But so far, these have to come off: PO Pavillion (we can suggest better places to view the homeless), postal museum (your kids will love their discussion of the new 37 cent rise), fbi (look, on the worst street corner people take out their guns), and the navy yard, jeeez, the navy yard. Why? Even washingtonians avoid that place, except to work, and wow, do they grumble. We are still culling, so have patience. But most of what you have listed seems very nice indeed.

sonya Apr 3rd, 2002 01:14 PM

Thanks, wow, lots of replies really quickly. You guys are great. Now, my response:<BR>Yes, I know the castle is only the visitors center for the Smithsonian but thought it would be a good starting point for our visit to the museums.<BR><BR>I didn't know about the newseum being closed, hadn't heard that, thanks! As for Ford's Theatre, this is something we REALLY want to do and I was unable to get a straight answer as to whether the whole place is closing for renovations or whether they are just not having any performances there. I also had hopes that the little museum in the basement and the house across the street might remain open. And besides, mid-June?, maybe we'll get in before they shut it down.<BR><BR>Hirshorn Museum and Nat'l Geographic are not things we were intending to see but after getting many responses suggesting these places we thought we would be remiss in not putting them in. <BR><BR>Thanks Irene for mentioning the IMAX movies, we had considered it but got no input from anyone who had seen them and thought we would just wing it.<BR><BR>Thanks Travellyn for the positive response on the Nat'l Cathedral. I'm the only one who wants to go there. Everybody else thinks it sounds boring but I'm interested.<BR><BR>I knew the archives is closed but supposedly you can still call ahead and get in to see copies of the documents in one room or something. This is why it has ?? by it. My husband says why bother we can find copies on the internet.<BR><BR>The BEP is open for tours you have to call the week ahead to get reservations. The FBI, according to the FBI themselves on the phone, say that they plan to re-open for tours in June but don't have a definite date yet. I am hopefull.<BR><BR>We are going to the Post office pavilion on our first night in town to eat in the food court and wander up into the tower to check out the view. I hear it is better than the Washington Monument but still feel we have to do the Washington Monument as it is just something everyone should do on their first DC visit.<BR><BR>Now, I guess our list is really long and I was not actually expecting to accomplish it all because my husband will want to spend excessive amounts of time in the Smithsonian museums I know. I just put together a list of the things that we would really like to see so that we were not wandering around going..."What should we do now"...I hope to hit alot of it though..if time permits. I am also planning to spend some time relaxing by our hotel pool. We will, after all, be on vacations and want to come home refreshed, not tired.<BR><BR>Thanks for all the great comments. I especially appreciate the what to skip, what to positively do type of comments.<BR><BR>And Ellen, I've been working on this for several months and really do feel like I have done extensive research. But, I appreciate yours (and everybodies) opinions which is why I posted it here. I guess I got a little carried away but I still have hopes to do alot. <BR><BR>Back to my original question.....Am I missing anything that we MUST do besides the IMAX?

x Apr 3rd, 2002 01:17 PM

Sonja, <BR><BR>"Is anything missing?" You must be joking! Your kids are gonna be tired and cranky seeing all these sites in 8 days. How boring for a 6 and 9 yo. Ugh! Take a break and enjoy the pool at the hotel.

Roger Apr 3rd, 2002 01:22 PM

Tour list ma'am-<BR>The Mall-All tourists feel a need to visit the Mall so I suppose you'll have to.<BR>Arlington Cemetary-To pay respects to the military dead and to the farm the US STOLE from Robert E. Lee- yes.<BR>Jefferson Memorial-Yes.<BR>Hirschorn-No. Worthless modern "art".<BR>Lincoln-No. America's greatest mass murderer deserves no respect.<BR>Air & Space- Yes.<BR>Nat. Archives- Not sure what they keep at downtown site. May have little of value.<BR>Mus. of American History- Yes.<BR>Mus. of Natural History- Yes.<BR>Old Post Office Pavilion- Worthless.<BR>FDR Memorial- worth about 20 seconds.<BR>Smithsonian Castle- no.<BR>Vietnam Memorial- Yes.<BR>Washington Monument- Yes but expect LONG lines.<BR>White House- Ditto.<BR>Capitol Hill- a big bore filled with big bores.<BR>Library of Congress- another big bore.<BR>Nat. Post Office- Waste of time.<BR>Union Station- Waste of tiime.<BR>Downtown- no.<BR>FBI- Waste of time.<BR>Ford's- OK.<BR>Nat. Geographic- Worthless.<BR>Upper NW- no.<BR>National Zoo- SPECTACULAR. <BR>Wash. Nat. CAthedral- Waste of time. Church with no soul.<BR>Southeast- A worth learning experience of the American slum.<BR>Wash. Navy Yard- Worked there out of college. Decrepit. Nothing worth seeing.<BR>VA suburbs- unless sitting in a traffic jam is something you enjoy, utterly worthless.<BR>MT. Vernon- SPECTACULAR.<BR>Newseum- I believe it is closed for relocation.<BR>OLD TOWN- just a bunch of high-priced town houses. A big bore.

Ellen Apr 3rd, 2002 01:29 PM

Sonya, Ford's Theatre is redoing their electrical system, so I'd be surprised if they're open for tours. The Petersen house, across the street, was closed for renovations a while ago but might be re-opened. Don't miss the gum trees outside where seemingly generations of schoolkids have deposited their treasures before entering these 2 sites.<BR><BR>The food court at the old Post Office tower is small compared to the one at Union Station, which we much preferred.<BR><BR>Please let your husband spend "excessive" time at the Smithsonians if that's what he really wants to do. The goal of the trip, of course, is to have a good time, not to see as many things as possible. On a week-long family vacation, it's a good idea to split up once in a while; maybe you can take the kids somewhere for an afternoon so he can have some quality time alone at the Smithsonian(s) of his choice, and he can do the same for you one day. (Like if you can't convince the others about the National Cathedral.)

RnR Apr 3rd, 2002 01:33 PM

Well, you wouldn't listen to me, so look at what Roger had to say. The Pavillion gives a better view than the WM - the Pavillion? Eating at the food court? Sonja, one of these days, your kids may wish to make a patrol trip to see DC. Please give them that all important good first impression. If it's a food court you need, then try the basement of Union Station (sorry, Roger). Enjoy DC.

sonya Apr 3rd, 2002 01:33 PM

Ok, just to avoid future response to these items, eliminate from my list:<BR>Hirshorn Museum<BR>National Archives<BR>Smitsonian Castle<BR>Library of Congress<BR>Capitol<BR>National Geographic<BR>Newseum<BR><BR>There, is that better?<BR><BR>Also, we will purchase in advance from ticketmaster timed Washington Monument tickets so hopefully the wait will be less. <BR><BR>As for the Washington Navy Yard, my unofficial guidebook gives it 3 1/2 out of 5 stars for gradeschool age kids interest. it is ( supposedly) "three military museums and a US Navy Destroyer" " Hands on fun for kids, informative for adults". Anyone else been there?<BR><BR>Thanks again, keep it coming!

dc Apr 3rd, 2002 01:34 PM

I'm taking exception to calling the zoo spectacular. It's depressing. They obviously spent big bucks on the tamarind monkey area and the panda exhibit (with the help of Animal Planet - who BTW, will take video of you without your permission as you view the exhibit. Apparently the Smithsonian can sell our video images in perpetuity for commercial broadcast for the cost of a panda exhibit.)<BR><BR>But I digress. All of the other animal cages are unkempt and just plain depressing compared with the lavish digs of those two species.

Ellen Apr 3rd, 2002 01:41 PM

dc and I must have gone to different zoos, or perhaps (s)he's the sort of person who finds zoos depressing in principle. The last time I went to DC with my son (who was 13 at the time), we went to the zoo twice!<BR><BR>If you take the Metro to the zoo, get off at the stop AFTER Woodley Park, so the walk to the zoo is downhill. Then walk downhill to Woodley when you leave.

dc Apr 3rd, 2002 02:01 PM

No, I like zoos and aquariums -- done well. I appreciate that most people don't get to Costa Rica or Africa to see these animals in the wild and should get the opportunity to marvel at the species. <BR><BR>Too bad this zoo is being run by a money-grubbing loser who is franchising the hell out of the NZ. It's the inequity that's hard to watch - the big ticket animals get the royal treatment and the rest are basically hanging around until they die.

irene Apr 3rd, 2002 02:09 PM

Sonia, not that you should be adding more things to your list, but you may want to keep these as a back-up: the U.S. Mint (not a ton to see, but you get to walk through the money printing presses, etc. and I enjoyed it both as an adult and a child) and the Holocaust Museum (next door to the US Mint). You may also enjoy going to the fish market which is just a short walk from the Jefferson Memorial. It is nothing like the market in NYC, but lots of fish stalls and you can also purchase prepared foods there - tables provided.