Washington DC to Boston

May 28th, 2005, 08:16 PM
Original Poster

Washington DC to Boston

I am driving from Washington DC area up to Boston around the 22nd of June and was looking for a nice place to stay somewhere maybe halfway between the two. I've done NYC before so looking for someplace maybe quiet/scenic if possible. Any suggestions out there? Can only spend one night before getting to Boston.
May 29th, 2005, 03:20 AM

it's a trip i'd probably do in a day, (10 hours with some traffic) you might i am guessing you might take 95 the whole way, I just got back from boston on tues,

(i'm in NJ) and you can take 95/NJTP to the garden state parkway to NY THRUWAY towards Nyack, take Tappanzee Bridge (287) across Hudson (WAY better than going across the gwb and the city) take this to 684, to 84 to 90 and into boston.

this way you really only skirt ny, and only have to go thru Hartford

You can choose a stop in Conn. or push to Sturbridge Mass (cute town) and just have a quick ride (1-2hours) into Boston the next day. (sturbridge will take 6-8 hours depending on traffic)
May 29th, 2005, 04:48 AM

The route suggested below is, in my opinion, the best way to go. Do not stay on Rte 95 the whole way. Do not go thru NYC. However, I have yet to find a mapping program that sends you over the Tappanzee Bridge - so if you need more detailed directions, repost.

The trip will take 8-12 hours, depending on traffic, accidents, etc. We make the trip several times/year as part of Boston-Savannah drive. We do that portion in one day, timing departure to avoid rush hour in Washington, Northern NJ area, Hartford and Boston (timing can be a real challenge).

The one problem with this route is that there is very little scenic along the way. Westchester County, NY is about halfway, but that area is largely suburban sprawl from NYC. About 2 hours from Boston is Hartford, and I imagine there might be something near there, but I have never found it. 60-90 minutes from Boston is Sturbridge, but if you go that far, you might want to just complete the trip - depending on your driving tolerance, time of desired arrival in Boston.
May 29th, 2005, 06:47 PM

In April we did Boston to DC and back and went the way justme22 suggested, and these are directions we got through AAA. On the way down, it took about 11 hours w/traffic, and on the way back it was just under 8. It's certainly doable in a day, but I don't know where the best place for an overnight would be.

Search this Thread