Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Washington DC plus Williamsburg in 6 days?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2003, 11:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I (single mom) want to take my 16 year old son to DC next spring. I am considering spending 3 full days in DC then taking the Amtrak to Williamsburg for 2 nights. Back by train to DC for one more night then fly home to Cal the next day. Is this too much moving around? My son is not much of a history buff/museum enthusiast so I plan to just see the major sites and possibly Mt Vernon and of course 1-2 of the Smithsonian museums. I was thinking Williamsburg might be a fun change of pace with the train ride and a smaller town. I'm not sure how much he will like the historical town but I remember Williamsburg being so quaint and loving the College of William and Mary. This will probably be our only trip while he is young since we live in California. We can't spend longer as we have only one week spring break. What do you think?
Old May 24th, 2003, 03:29 AM

That sounds like a great trip to me. I've gone to both places via Amtrak with my kids.

I rented a car in Williamsburg, there was a local company called Colonial right at the Amtrak station. This was a couple of years ago, don't know if they're stil there, and their service wasn't very good (car had broken radio, and they didn't have enough cars for all the Amtrakers with reservations!). But a car rental will greatly simplify your CW visit.

We stayed at the Embassy Suites, which not ony has the obvious advantages like two rooms and a huge free breakfast, but also is in a quieter location than most of the hotels in the CW area.

If he's totally museum-ed out, there's always Busch Gardens and the water park!

In DC, most 16-year-olds would enjoy the Smithsonian's Air and Space Museum and the Museum of Natural History. But at his age, he's capable of doing a lot of the reserach and itinerary on his own, this will get him interested and invested in the trip. Start with a good map that shows the key attractions.

You might want to look at a couple of the colleges in the DC area while you're there -- at least 4 are right on the Metro (American U, Georgetown, George Washington U, and Cahholic U).

One problem that we had in being tourists in DC is that so many places are only open from 9 or 10 AM until 5 or 5:30. But most of the monuments are wonderful to visit after dark, with the exception (IMHO) of the Vietnam Vets', which I feel has more impact in daylight, and Roosevelt.

Hav a great trip!
Old May 24th, 2003, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Anonymous-thank you so much for your input. I love taking trains, especially since I live in California and we have such poor mass transit here. I had not planned on renting a car as I was only going to do CW and maybe look around the college a bit. I will do some more research. I had thought of staying at the Woodlands since it is just across the bridge from CW and it has a pool. There have been good reports on this forum. That is a good point about the evenings-pretty boring sitting around a hotel room with a 16 year old. I had planned on eating dinner late to fill up the time and maybe try to take in a show. We went to London this last spring and between the long daylight hours and a late dinner it wasn't too bad. Another reason for breaking up the trip between 2 places. We are going to stay at the Summerfield suits which at least have more of a living room. Right now they have tix for $218 RT from SF to Reagan on Orbitz that I think I am going to snap up. Unbelievable price. Thanks again, Chris
Old May 24th, 2003, 10:34 AM

Dont forget to allow some time at Union Station, Its full of history and is worth a look around.
Old May 24th, 2003, 01:49 PM

Another activity my teen son enjoyed was an evening performance by the Capitol Steps, a satirical revue. IIRC, their web site is www.cap-steps.com
Old May 24th, 2003, 02:02 PM

ChrisCal - I love Williamsburg, I go several times a year from upstate NY, and I love Amtrak too. That said, I'm not so sure I'd take the train from DC to Williamsburg, especially if your son is not much into history. Busch Gardens and the water park (if open) may be more to his liking, so you'd need a car anyway. The trip from DC takes a considerable bit more time than driving, especially getting around/thru Richmond's CSX yards. You and your son will have to decide, but I also agree in having him help plan an itinerary, as he's more likely to find the trip acceptable if he's had input.

While you are in Williamsburg, consider taking in some of the evening programs. They cost extra, but are a good way to busy up your evenings with much less expense than a meal in the taverns which you would probably enjoy, but not him. "Cry Witch", an audience - participation witch trial, is very popular. On Saturday nights, they usually put on a 2 hour 18th Century Play. Visit www.history.org and find some samplings of the evening programs. All the evening programs sell out early, so you might wish to reserve in advance (phone 1-800-history )The Woodlands should be a good place to stay, especially if you do not get a car. If you drive down, then I'd stay "off-site".

I've rented from Colonial too, but more often I rent from the Enterprise on Merrimac Rd (they'll come to the station).

The Spy Museum in DC seems to be quite popular, although they do charge admission. Some other evening activities in DC might be walking down King St in Alexandria, or touring around Georgetown. Both of you might enjoy seeing "Shear Madness" at the Kennedy Center some night as well.

If your son shows too much resistance to going to Williamsburg, then how about taking Amtrak to Philadelphia? Or NY? Whatever plans you make, have a great vacation!
Old May 24th, 2003, 02:57 PM

I live in the DC area. To each his own, but I think the side trip to Williamsburg is too much time and travel for what you would get out of it. I think Williamsburg is nice, but you can get plenty of colonial feel in the DC area without a side trip to Williamsburg. Granted, Williamsburg shows you what it was like to live in colonial times, but you get a feel for that at Mt. Vernon. (Some of my prejudice showing here - I find the costumes and candle making demonstrations a big snooze.)

So, what to do instead. Daytrip to Annapolis, tour the Naval Academy and look at the colonial era homes. Day trip to Baltimore, go to the Inner Harbor, Poe's grave, have some great crabcakes. Day trip to Gettysburg battlefield. There is some cool hiking around the falls in Great Falls, which is in the McLean, Virginia area. Rent a 4-wheel drive vehicle, and make an overnight trip to Virginia, visit Monticello and Luray Caverns, and then go on this cool and legal 4-wheel drive through a federal park outside of Luray (I can give you more details if interested). Daytrip or overnight via Amtrak to Philadelphia (lots o'history there), or how about spending those two nights in NYC - see a show, walk along Broadway, go to the WTC site (sounds morbid, but it is quite moving).

Old May 24th, 2003, 06:45 PM

I live between Wmsbg and Richmond so here is my recommendation: taking time into consideration, I think it would be best to rent car in DC, drive to Wmsbg (3 to 3 1/2 hours), have car available to use and do Colonial Wmsbg in one day, drive Colonial Parkway to Jamestown and Yorktown to look around, spend a day at Busch Gardens Wmsbg - their website is www.buschgardens.com and check dates you will be coming. BGW times their spring opening around when local schools have spring break week. Terrific coasters - my 15yo loves it, we have season passes this year.
Old May 25th, 2003, 06:33 AM

DC to WBG is 3 1/2 hours on Amtrak, according to their schedule. That's what I am doing this July. Driving is good but if you have the time and patience ($$) Amtrak is relaxing.Also you can move around on a train not like on a plane (where I feel cooped-up and belted-in).To each 'is own...........
Old May 25th, 2003, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info, very helpful. I have planned too many trips when I tried to cram too much in (ie. Maine-NH-Vermont-Connecticut in 3 days) A friend who lived in Baltimore is suggesting I do a day trip to Monticello instead of Williamsburg. I adore gardens. Does anyone know if there is a shuttle from C-ville to Monticello. I could rent a car too which might make it easier to explore. Amtrak runs there so I am still considering doing the train ride rather than renting a car in DC. Thanks
Old May 25th, 2003, 01:59 PM

It is about 150 miles from DC to Williamsburg, and about 115 miles from DC to Charlottesville, not an appreciable difference. Monticello is nice, but small, and kind of similar to Mt. Vernon.

The gardens at Monticello are very nice, but there are several lovely gardens in and around DC to visit, such as Dumbarton Oaks in Georgetown and the William Paca house in Annapolis.

My suggestion would be to keep your plans flexible, and decide whether to tack on the trip into southern Virgina only after you get a feel for how long it is going to take you to see what you want to see in DC. If you decide to go, I would drive. Amtrack is not cheap, you will want to have a vehicle when you get to VA, and you are going to eat up time and money going to and from the train station. (If you were going to Boston or Philly or NY, Amtrak would be the way to go. But to southern VA, you are better off in a car.)
Old May 25th, 2003, 02:45 PM

My daughter and I did a Williamsburg-Washington DC trip when she was 14 and had a really good time. I believe your son would enjoy Yorktown and Jamestown more than a trip to Monticello, especially since you will have seen Mt. Vernon.

If you like dessert, be sure to eat at the Trellis in CW and have the signature Death by Chocolate. It's fun to eat at the tavern, too, all candlelight and colonial decor with period food selections. You should make meal reservations.
Old May 25th, 2003, 06:53 PM

If you want to focus on gardens, you may just want to stay in DC and visit the National Arboretum - here is the url: www.usna.usda.gov/
monticello is nice, but there are more things to see in the Williamsburg/ Jamestown/ Yorktown historic triangle, esp. new info about ongoing excavation of the original Jamestown settlement (archaeologists years ago thought the site had washed away into the river, but they found evidence it hasn't), plus the close proximity of an amusement park would be good for a teen. I agree with other poster that you should concentrate on DC, stay flexible, and if you decide to drive or take train down to Virginia, you should be able to do so without much trouble.
Old May 28th, 2003, 01:41 PM

I guess I chaperoned too many trips for fifth graders to ever want to see Williamsburg again. If your son is not a history buff, I think you would do well to stay nearer to DC. Do Mt. Vernon; take the Metro to Old Town Alexandria (see the Torpedo Factory, now a living art center); or train to Philly (you don't get much more historic than that);go to Baltimore and paddle around the harbor (or shop).
Old May 28th, 2003, 02:23 PM

I am surprised by all the enthusiastic responses that this would be a good plan. IMHO, even if your son Loved history, there would be too much cramed in. Taking into account your son's interest, Williamsburg might not be too appealing and I believe he is already a little old to fully appreciate williamsburg. Ok, so it has busch gardens. You are from Cal where there are surely just as good amusement parks. Second, there are closer amusement parks.
if you get bored of dc, i would head to the aquarium in baltimore or maybe the zoo in washington. the spy museum and the air and space museum should be appealling. after adding in some historical spots and a trip to mt vernon, your trip will be up. wash dc is more spread out than you realize and you could spend a lot of time just walking along the mall.