Washington DC July 4th Hotel

Old May 30th, 2006, 07:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Washington DC July 4th Hotel

We are planning to watch the firework at the Mall. Since it's a nightmare to get on the subway afterwards, we'd like to stay as close to the Mall as possible so we can just walk back to our hotel afterwards.

Two possible choices are the Grand Hyatt Washington and JW Marriott. Any comments on either one? We're a family of 4.

Are there better hotel options for this plan?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old May 30th, 2006, 07:41 PM
emd

I have an office right btwn JW and G. Hyatt, and have stayed downtown in that area overnight for a few July 4ths in the 20 yrs Ihave lived in the area. How are you getting a rm. at the JW Marriott to come up? I don't see it coming up on their website for night of 7/4. I do see the Grand Hyatt coming up but not the JW.

Grand Hyatt is a bit further to walk from the Mall. Both are convention hotels, JW more so, but they will both be filed w/people doing what you are doing that night.

If you aare looking for that class of hotel, those are the good ones. The Marriot Metro Center is also a possibility if you can't get into JW.

Many people like the Willard, which is very close to the JW. I am not a fan of the Willard, but you might want to check that out. Probably costs more than the other ones.

I think that Hyatt's rate is very good for that night, BTW.
Old May 30th, 2006, 07:42 PM

I did July 4th at the Willard once... it was AWESOME!!!!
I show the JW Marriott to be sold out. But there are lots of options around the area.
Book soon, so you have a choice.
Old May 30th, 2006, 08:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick replies.

emd, you're right that JWM is sold out. I got confused with the one at Metro Center. Can you tell me how far a walk is it from the Mall to JW Marriott versus G. Hyatt? I understand that the Mall is huge but let's say from around the base of the monument. My kids are 14 and 12 and have done a lot of travelling so they should be OK.

G. Hyatt is $139 and Marriott MC is $159 and it looks like they are next to each other. Is one better than the other?

Normally we're not big chain hotel fans. Prefer boutique hotels (think Rick Steve's) but I don't see a lot of choices for this plan. Hotel Washington and Harrington are sold out. Willard is out of our price range.

If there are other hotels (3 stars) that are within walking distance, please let me know.

Thanks.

Old May 31st, 2006, 03:07 AM
emd

I've put people up at both hotels for business many times(GH and MMC). I would recommend going w/Marriott Metro center. People I have put up like it much better than GH, say service is better, and I stopped putting people up at thte GH after a nasty incident w/that hotel w/a client a year ago. I see that tripadvisor reviews are also very uneven for GH, but are consistently better at MMC. The distance is not a factor, they are essentally the same distance. Both are excellent location, right next to metro, coffee shops, good dining (some is for business people and will be closed 7/4 though), Hechts dept. store.
Old May 31st, 2006, 03:46 AM
emd

There is also the Hotel Monaco (boutique) but it is further down from the mall and where you'll be walking from the fireworks, and it is likley more expensive. Those are very good rates at both MMC and GH! I would book now and not wait- those rates won't go down for 7/4. There is a Hampton Inn close to the convention center, but it is even further...quite a bit further
Old May 31st, 2006, 07:26 AM

You didn't want the Harrington anyway -- thins walls and school groups. Very worn. Hotel Washington can be dark and musty as well. I don't think anyone would use ``boutique'' and ``Harrington'' in the same sentence.

I'd like the Marriott over the Hyatt, although they are fairly similar. Hyatt ``feels'' more like a huge convention hotel.

The difference between staying at the JW and the MC Marriott is about 3 blocks -- add another block for the Hyatt if you are watching from the Wash. Monument area.

Also, the Hilton Garden Inn at Franklin Square is also walkable and reasonable from the Mall.
Old May 31st, 2006, 07:53 AM

Also look into the Loews L'Enfant Plaza Hotel ... Very close walking distance to the Mall, and there is also a subway station (?red line) right below the plaza the hotel is in, which would be convenient for other days since there's not much going on in that area in the evening and you'd want to take the subway to restaurants, other sites, etc. (also getting to/from airport if needed for this trip).

Enjoy and please do a trip report afterwards -- watching the July 4th fireworks in Washington is on my travel list of things I want to do ... maybe next year!