Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Washington DC hotel - Residence Inn (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/washington-dc-hotel-residence-inn-952414/)

Momddtravel2 Oct 2nd, 2012 08:58 AM

Washington DC hotel - Residence Inn

Greetings,
We will be traveling to the VA area at the end of October for a college visit. We will have one afternoon/evening/morning in DC. I would like to use Marriott Points and can stay at the Residence Inn @ 333 E St. SW - was wondering if there is any input into that general area?
I have only been to DC a few times. There will be four of us, two adutls and two teen girls.
Thanks so much in advance!

bardo1 Oct 2nd, 2012 09:28 AM

The area has it's pros and cons...

PROS
1) Right next to Federal Center SW Metro station
2) A few blocks walks to National Mall, Air&Space. American Indian Museum.
3) Perfectly safe at all hours

CONS
1) Surrounded by behemoth gov't office buildings
2) Scarce to zero restaurant options outside of office hours (M-F 7am-6pm)
3) NO nightlife options in immediate area (restaurants/theaters/shopping/etc.) whatsoever (you would have to take Metro for any of these).

For one day, it's not a bad choice. You might want to go to Barracks Row (Eastern Market Metro), the Gallery Place area, the Dupont area, (or even Georgetown) for your one evening meal/evening out...

obxgirl Oct 2nd, 2012 09:33 AM

Nothing wrong with the area but it's not especially interesting. That part of SW DC is mostly Federal office buildings. Maybe a 10 minute walk to the Air & Space Museum on the mall.

The Residence Inn on P Street is a much more interesting location very close to Dupont Circle, walkable to Foggy Bottom and Georgetown.

Momddtravel2 Oct 2nd, 2012 09:43 AM

Obxgirl & Bardo - thank you so much! I will see if there is availability at the one on P street. (looking for that larger room with the two teen girls)

Momddtravel2 Oct 2nd, 2012 11:23 AM

So let me ask another question - of all the Marriott Properites in the DC area - which do you feel is the best location for a short trip, being able to walk to some of the sites as well as dinner?

vjpblovesitaly Oct 2nd, 2012 11:29 AM

My personal opinion would be Washington Convention Center

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...ention-center/

or the Residence Inn on P St NW

obxgirl Oct 2nd, 2012 11:56 AM

I'd agree with that ^^^.

bardo1 Oct 2nd, 2012 02:00 PM

I'll third that.

Momddtravel2 Oct 2nd, 2012 02:18 PM

Well there you have it. Sold.

Momddtravel2 Oct 3rd, 2012 12:30 PM

Turned into a company event so we are saying at the Hay Adams Hotel. ? ... how is that area?

sf7307 Oct 3rd, 2012 12:45 PM

"That" area is fabulous for sightseeing. Maybe not sooo great for dinner, but so what - you can go elsewhere. The hotel is "historic" -- people in my office love it (I stayed there once and liked it a lot, although it wasn't really my "style").

If the weather is good, have a drink at the rooftop bar at the W nearby (next to the Willard) -- the drinks are pricey (and not that great), but the view is fabulous. Make a reservation.

You can hop over to the Galleria area (straight down H to 7th) for many choices for dinner.

Momddtravel2 Oct 3rd, 2012 12:51 PM

Thanks SF! I am a Marriott gal - but this is now a company evening - the dinner will be at Old Ebbitt Grill?..

NewbE Oct 3rd, 2012 12:57 PM

The Hay Adams and the Old Ebbitt Grill are true DC classics! I would consider myself lucky if I were you, not because they're the best in town (although they are very good), but they are just so historic. Enjoy!

bardo1 Oct 3rd, 2012 01:31 PM

Wow - the Hay Adams is VERY nice. It seems like no one actually parks or Metros there - everyone I've ever seen stay there just has their limo drop them at the front door...

Momddtravel2 Oct 3rd, 2012 03:59 PM

Oh my! Swanky :) I am a stay for free on Marriott points kinda gal :)

obxgirl Oct 3rd, 2012 05:26 PM

NIce for you Momddtravel2!! I agree that the Hay Adams is very much a DC classic -- hope you will enjoy it!

Momddtravel2 Oct 15th, 2012 06:43 AM

We are excited :) The teen girls are like "oh my" :))
Our flights were switched (thank you AA) to later on Sunday (I am using miles and before only had option to take before 11:00 am) now we are on a 3:45 on Sunday so can have another morning in DC :)