Neighborhoods to Avoid in Washington DC

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2013, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband, my 5 and 7 year olds and I are vacationing in DC next April. I'm trying to hone in on the best hotel for us but want to feel comfortable in the DC neighborhood we choose. Are there neighborhoods you wouldn't feel comfortable leaving your hotel at 7pm?

My idea, albeit early in the planning stage, is to find a hotel within walking distance or short Metro to the White House (we are on list for tour and could be as early as 7:30am). We're looking for a family-friendly neighborhood and have a budget of $200-250 per night.
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 07:33 AM

I really can't think of any bad neighborhoods that have hotels that one would choose. There are some along New York Ave NE that are not in a nice place, but not too many are there to begin with.

It would be easier to just narrow down your choices (and if you need help, your EXACT dates and number of people and beds will be needed) and people can let you know what they think.

Dupont Circle and the Penn Quarter and two good neighborhood choices.
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 07:41 AM

Dupont Circle and Penn Quarter are both terrific neighborhoods, but you also might consider the Hilton Garden Inn, which is within spitting distance of the White House and right across the street from the McPherson Square metro station. It's very nice (large comfortable rooms).
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks you two! I had my eye on that Hilton. I'm a little nervous that we'll be in DC the same weekend as the cherry blossom parade. Crowds and small children are a challenge.

We'll be in DC 4/11-4/15. We fly out of BMI 4/16 and are also looking for an airport hotel for easy morning travel for 8am flight. I hope, one that has a shuttle.
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 09:18 AM

Yikes! That is a tough time to be in DC. Many private & public schools send their middle school age kids on their respective school's annual DC trip around that time.

We've only stayed in Dupont Circle and loved it because it is close to the metro system and there are a ton a great restaurants. It is also a very walkable area.
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 11:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
>>Are there neighborhoods you wouldn't feel comfortable leaving your hotel at 7pm?>We fly out of BMI 4/16>Many private & public schools send their middle school age kids on their respective school's annual DC trip around that time.
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 01:19 PM

For the last year, I've stayed at various DC area hotels each week on business and can give you two recomendations that are pretty different from each other. First, near DuPont Circle, I would look at The Fairfax at Embassy Row. It is close to the Metro (2 blocks), close to Connecticut Avenue shops and restaurants and not to far from Georgetown. It is a classic old school DC hotel (Al Gore lived there with his family as a child), has a great lounge (JFK and Jackie supposedly frequented) but the hotel itself is not exactly what I would call "family friendly." They have small suites, the X01 room numbers on each floor have adjacent rooms that can be added/linked if you want to blow the budget. A standard room is about $250. Secondly, I would look at Marriott's Residence Inn Courthouse in Arlington, VA. It is right on the Metro, has lots of restaurants and a movie theater next door. The rooms are about $300, but are large with a kitchenette and sitting area. Rate includes breakfast buffet and dinner buffett on weekdays. This place has a small indoor pool. I agree with the previous comment, in April, things can get a little nutty on The Mall with school groups and Cherry Blossom festival. Book early and have fun!
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 01:28 PM

With children 5 and 7, I would definitely NOT choose the Fairfax at Embassy Row!
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 09:42 PM

.....well, if it was good enough for a young Al Gore....but, seriously, before you book any room I would check this site: http://www.bedbugregistry.com/....Hilton Garden Inn has a few incidents reported there.
Old Jan 5th, 2013, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

The photos of the Fairfax are stunning in a classic way. Lot's of glass decorations which could be trouble.

Bedbugs! Oh my gosh!! Thanks for the web site.

Has anyone had experience with the Capital Hilton, Hamilton Crowne Plaza, Sofitel DC Lafayette Square, or the St. Regis...the name alone sounds spendy?
Old Jan 5th, 2013, 08:43 AM

>>Has anyone had experience with the Capital Hilton, Hamilton Crowne Plaza, Sofitel DC Lafayette Square, or the St. Regis
Old Jan 5th, 2013, 11:21 AM

I have no idea either.

NO tourist would likely stay in a hotel in a neighborhood that might be undesirable, it just wouldn't cross their radar screen when looking for hotels, they'd be pretty far out and inconvenient.

I personally wouldn't choose a hotel in Columbia Heights but I don't even know if there are that many. I hate the Chinatown area, also and wouldn't choose there. Both areas are rather hectic, which is one reason, but there can be more crime around those metro stations and streets than some other parts of town.
Old Jan 5th, 2013, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

I'm only looking at a Google map when coming up with these hotels (St. Regis, etc.) as I want to be near the White House.

I've just heard from my father, who lived in DC in the 60's, and his work (FBI) told him of areas just north of the capitol that weren't safe. I don't picture us staying towards the Union Station area, so we should be good.
Old Jan 5th, 2013, 01:38 PM

The reason I recommended against the Fairfax for a family with young children is that we once stayed in DC at a very posh hotel (it was then the ANA in or near Foggy Bottom). Every time my kids opened their mouths in something more than a whisper, we got dirty looks. Just not what I'd call kid-friendly.
Old Jan 5th, 2013, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

A good point sf. I'd like to relax while on vaca. Same reason why I won't stay at the Grand Floridian in Lake Buena Vista.

I've just begun to explain to the kids that all hotels don't have pools. Now I'm in the clear with that topic.

I'm so afraid to look at the bed bug site...
Old Jan 5th, 2013, 04:04 PM

>>Every time my kids opened their mouths in something more than a whisper, we got dirty looks. Just not what I'd call kid-friendly.
Old Jan 5th, 2013, 04:12 PM

Things have changed a lot in D.C. since your father lived here in the 1960's. The area north of the Capitol has lots of good houses and trendy restaurants. My DS lived there last semester and enjoyed it very much.

As previously mentioned, you aren't likely to find a hotel in your price range in an undesirable part of D.C. And don't restrict yourself to the White House area. With Metro, there's lots of places you can stay (even the "wilds" of suburban Virginia and Maryland) and still be close to the D.C. attractions.
Old Jan 6th, 2013, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

The "wilds"...hahaha.
Old Jan 6th, 2013, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

90% of the hotels I am looking into are on the bed bug registry. Ugh! I feel itchy.
Old Jan 6th, 2013, 03:11 PM

Bed bugs can be anywhere - the question isn't whether they were found, but what the hotel did about it once they were. If you're that worried about bedbugs, I'd suggest you stay home.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -