Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   washington dc, dupont circle (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/washington-dc-dupont-circle-623584/)

mahobaygirl Jun 14th, 2006 06:20 PM

washington dc, dupont circle

Planning atrip by car from Maine to DC in Sept. Can someone explain the allure of Dupont Circle. Also can someone recommend a hotel (or area) that may be good for us as we are driving down, but most likely using public transportation once we get there. Any nice hotels that are still reasonably priced Thanks so much....

wyatt92 Jun 14th, 2006 06:54 PM

The allure of Dupont Circle is twofold. It's in a great location, easy access to the Metro and to Adams-Morgan (another great neighborhood) and there's lots of restaurants and bars so there's stuff to do at night. For me it gets the slight edge over Georgetown because of the Metro stop.

MikeT Jun 14th, 2006 07:40 PM

People who live in DC spend time in DuPont Circle. They don't spend time in Gtown. DuPont Circle is a great urban neighborhood with great people-watching, good eating, and a Starbucks on every block. <g> The surrounding residential neighborhood is really beautiful.

emd Jun 15th, 2006 06:23 AM

and it has the Phillips Collection museum- where Renoir's wonderful Boating Party painting has recently come home to roost. The Phillips has really wonderful and unique exhibitions and should not be missed when staying in Dupont Circle, IMO.

kaudrey Jun 15th, 2006 06:45 AM

Well, I like it DESPITE the fact of all the Starbucks!

Great restaurants, fun places (the movie theatre shows independent and foreign films, Kramerbooks has a good wine bar), metro is right there...

I'd probably try Priceline for hotels to see what you can get.

hockeymom Jun 15th, 2006 06:47 AM

We stayed at the Carlisle Suites in April 2005 (myself, husband, two kids). It was a great location. They have VERY limited off street parking, but we got there, parked the car, and took public transportation while we were there so we didn't have to worry. Once you get a space, if you leave, you may not get another one. We really had a great time. If you click my name, it will bring up my trip report. We ate at some great restaurants. Have a wonderful trip!

GoAway Jun 15th, 2006 01:16 PM

We stayed one weekend at the Hotel Madera, which is about a block from Dupont Circle. Very modern, funky decor, free wine tasting each day, nice amenities. We didn't get a chance to eat at the attached restaurant Firefly, but I haven't heard anything but good things about it. It is one of the Kimpton chain of hotels; there are several others in the area including one that is just opening. They will charge for parking, but the lot is behind the hotel (they'll park for you) and not on the street. Check their website for special deals.

emd Jun 15th, 2006 05:51 PM

I am going into DC for a night next week, midweek. I live in Norhtern Va but my husband and I are going in for a night to have dinner, see a play, stay the night, and are taking off the next day to enjoy DC. We do this once a year or so.

Just FYI, the Westin Embassey Row has a good deal right now, a summer special w/a room for $175 and that includes two full American breakfasts in the restaurant or via room service, and free parking (valet paid parking at over $20 usually). I think that is a good deal, because I was going to use Priceline but when I checked the winning bids lately for Dupont Circle area they were about $100, and that is without the free parking and two full breakfasts. The Westin Embassy is across the street from Phillips Collection, and I know we will pop in there. Nice tree lined streets in that area. The Westin is located in Al Gore's boyhood home- really. It has gotten reviews on tripadvisor saying it needs some brushing up, but I am going to try it for this summer special deal. I'll post back on how it is.

emd Jun 15th, 2006 05:52 PM

P.S. it is close to the Dupont metro stop.

emd Jun 15th, 2006 05:55 PM

fyi, here is the page from starwood's website w/the summer special at that location:

http://specialoffers.starwoodhotels....SOP_WI_245_WDC