Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Washington DC budget hotels near Metro? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/washington-dc-budget-hotels-near-metro-328771/)

Hiroshi Jun 18th, 2003 12:43 PM

Washington DC budget hotels near Metro?

I will be in Washington, DC for a few days. However, I will not be on an expense account so I cannot stay at the expensive hotels. Does anyone know of budget hotels near a metro station?

I am willing to stay in suburbs like Rockville or College Park. Closeness to a metro is very helpful.

rb_travelerxATyahoo Jun 18th, 2003 01:22 PM

Days Inn Camp Springs MD often has good prices, and is about 3 blocks from the Branch Ave Metro station. It's a desolate area, however, without a car.

Will you be driving? If so, we stayed at Red Roof Inn, Laurel MD and drove about 12 minutes to Greenbelt Metro station. We liked the location fine. There is some weekday bus service by that hotel, see www.wmata.com -- I think it was bus #88 or #89 which went to the Metro station.

There are some hotels in Alexandria, OTHER than the King St area, but served by DASH, http://www.dashbus.com/ and going to the various Metro stations.

I've not been there, but had booked it until a trip was cancelled, but Alexandria's Red Roof Inn looks to be walking distance to the Huntington Ave Metro station, and often have decent rates ... and don't forget the Red Roof right in DC, near Gallery Place/Chinatown Metro. Hope this helps.

I've stayed at Quality Inn Iwo Jima in Arlington, about 1/3 mile to Rosslyn Metro station. Prices right now not "budget", but next door was the Motel 50, which looked ok. The same owners operate the Americana in/near Crystal City, but I can't say anything else about it.

carte005 Jun 18th, 2003 01:58 PM

Go to www.biddingfortravel.com to find out what others are getting through Priceline.

Last summer I was able to get the Arlington Hilton, which is on top of the Ballston metro (about a 15-20 minutes trip to downtown) for $45 per night. Beats a Red Roof Inn, IMHO.

rb_travelerxATyahoo Jun 18th, 2003 02:12 PM

Hilton DEFINATELY beats a Roof! Sometimes tho, you gotta know FOR SURE what hotel you're gonna be dealing with. It would seem you'd want to zero in on the best hotels but in the smallest geographical area ... the "Alexandria" area seems huge, while Dupont Circle area it wouldn't much matter what better quality hotel you got. The DC "Roof" was a Comfort Inn, a high-rise, but the others I listed are your typical roadside Red Roof Inn. Minimum amenties & furnishings in all of them, but I did like staying in the DC roof.

LN Jun 18th, 2003 03:35 PM

I try not to talk against anything but PLEASE DO NOT stay at ANY hotel in the Camp Springs area. I've worked very close to the area and, frankly, it's not a safe area for travellers.

Generally you can check the hotel internet sites and find good deals downtown, or Alexandria, Arlington, Rockville, etc. Even Priceline will give you decent rates.

Pumpy Jun 18th, 2003 06:07 PM

I was able to get the Hyatt on Capital Hill for $69 a night via Expedia.com. The hotel is approximately 3 blocks from Union Station and an easy walk to the the Mall (View of Capital outside our hotel window).

bardo Jun 19th, 2003 04:36 AM

What price range defines "budget" for you? There are plenty of nice, convenient hotels for under $100 in DC within few blocks of metro.

Hiroshi Jun 19th, 2003 07:07 AM

Thanks for the replies. Feel free to reply for another day. Bardo asks what I mean by "budget". This is hard to define. In Washington, I would think $70 or less, much less if possible (but maybe not possible).

If I were driving across America, it would be much less. A less than $49 hotel is easy to find on the interstate highways.

rb_travelerxATyahoo Jun 19th, 2003 07:14 AM

Re: Camp Springs (& LN)

I've stayed at that Days Inn, and walked to the Metro. I didn't feel in the least bit unsafe. I doubt the walk was anymore than 1/3 mile on a suburban street (Auth Rd). The area is not one that anyone would "hang out" in, mostly people going to/from the Metro. Why do you feel it to be unsafe?

gail Jun 19th, 2003 03:48 PM

If you go to washingtondchotels.com you can get a fair overview of hotels and rates in Washington. Option on each listing to check amenities. I might start checking hotels there and then pursue lower rates at various on-line sites for those that seemed within your budget. Don't know when you are going, but there were several hotels listed for under $100

Ann41 Jun 20th, 2003 05:26 PM

I used to live in Alexandria, and occasionally my husband and I would get a hotel room in DC through Priceline for the weekend. Never paid more than $70 a night. The best was the Melrose for $53. It's on PA Avenue in between Foggy Bottom and Georgetown, and easy walking distance to Foggy Bottom metro stop.

rdj Jun 21st, 2003 02:01 PM

I am looking for a reasonable hotel that is walking distant to the National Mall and Monuments. My father is in a wheel chair so it is easier to walk everywhere.

mrsbu Jun 21st, 2003 07:55 PM

I have stayed at the Capital Hyatt and it is lovely, if you can get it from Priceline I would jump on it. Will be in Dc next montha dnstaying at the Hilton near Dupont Circle anyone ahve any experience there ?