Washington DC-- B&B or Hotel

Old Aug 7th, 2005, 09:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Washington DC-- B&B or Hotel

I will be in DC late November for a meeting at the State Department. Can anyone recommend a nice B&B or hotel under $100 nearby or near a Metro stop?

Bloomingdale Inn was mentioned. Any comments about it? Thanks.
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 04:09 AM

The location at 2417 1st St NW Washington, DC is terrible: You will be a long walk from any Metro, the B&B is in an unsafe area for walking, the cloesest area amenities are on Georgia Ave. across from Howard University (about 9 blocks west). It's pretty far from the State Dept. so you'll need an expensive taxi to get there and back. I would keep looking.
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 04:16 AM

You can't get much in the DC area for under $100. The Gov't per diem rate for lodging is $153, and that's the range most places start.
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 04:19 AM

ttt
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 06:47 PM

Bloomingdale Inn to go to the State Dept? I don't think so. I have a friend who bought a house in that area last year or so, one of those urban pioneer type things and he got punched out by smeone at the local KFC at NY avenue and N Capitol, just standing in line minding his own business.

Washington DC is a major city, you don't find B&B type places in cities, there are hotels. There are only a couple in Washington and most are very expensive, that kind of ritsy upper class type thing. The only modest B&B I know of is up near Kalorama and isn't near a metro stop, although I think they have a facility not too far from Woodley Park metro. You can check that out if you really want a B&B for some reason, but I don't know what it's like personally
http://www.virtualcities.com/ons/dc/n/dcn6501ref.htm

I'd forget the B&B idea myself, there's no advantage to that. I think your budget is too cheap for a nice place in DC, unless they have some special deals, which aren't usual during the week in working season. Why don't you try Priceline.
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 07:45 PM

The one B&B I would suggest is the Aaron Shipman B&B in Logan Circle. A better neighborhood than Bloomingdale and a little more convenient.

My other suggestino would be the Quality Hotel-Arlington near the Court House Metro. It's three stops from Foggy Bottom (and the State Department) and in your price range.
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 09:07 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all. My other options are the Best Western Capital Skyline, Hotel Harrington and one of the Kalorama Guest Houses. Any info on these. Thanks again.
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 09:22 PM
Original Poster

Sorry, need to add that my meeting is at the Annex on 4th St, SW, if that makes a difference. Thanks. MikeT, I have meailed the B&B, thank you.
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 04:14 AM

NOT the Best Western Capital Skyline. South Capitol and I st. is an even worse location than the Bloomingdale B&B. Don't even think about the Best Western Skyline Drive.

The Hotel Harrington & the Kalorama Guest Houses are both safe areas.

The Harrington in the center of downtown is more convenient to Metro (1/2 block to Metro Center station) and getting to your meeting spots. It is a popular budget tourist hotel - not fancy AT ALL but convenient and inexpensive.

The Kalorama B&B Woodley Park is about 4 blocks to Metro. The Kalorama B&B Kalorama is about 7 blocks to Metro. Both are in very nice upscale residential areas.

The Aaron Shipman is not too close to Metro (about 9 blocks to either Dupont or Shaw stations) but is a safe enough area.
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 04:31 AM

Another inexpensive option is the Taft Bridge b&b, a few blocks north of Dupont Circle. Good safe location. It's an old mansion that's seen better days, but it's fairly nice for under $100 a night with breakfast. I'm not sure how close the nearest Metro stop is.