Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Washington DC (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/washington-dc-1669462/)

danon Jul 15th, 2019 12:18 PM

Washington DC

i have a chance to visit in the third week of August.

i have read that the weather is pretty horrible in August

How bad is it? Thanks.

sf7307 Jul 15th, 2019 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by danon (Post 16953621)
i have a chance to visit in the third week of August.

i have read that the weather is pretty horrible in August

How bad is it? Thanks.

it can be pretty horrible, but I’d still go.

danon Jul 15th, 2019 01:57 PM

Thank you. Hot and humid I assume?
we visited one time in Oct...I loved the city and would gladly return.

sf7307 Jul 15th, 2019 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by danon (Post 16953665)
Thank you. Hot and humid I assume?
we visited one time in Oct...I loved the city and would gladly return.

we go often because our son and DIL and grandkids live there. it is hot and humid, but I’ve always found I can deal with it, as long as there is a/c at the end of a walk (you can always duck into a free Smithsonian museum!). Granted, walking around the monuments and other outdoor activities might be less appealing than they’d be in October!

janisj Jul 15th, 2019 03:02 PM

The second most miserable day I've ever experienced weather-wise on vacation was one August when it really wasn't all that hot. Maybe only 90°-ish - but with afternoon showers the sidewalks were actually steaming -- yikes - I've never experienced such humidity. It felt more like 120°. And I saw people walking around in suits -- poor souls.

But everything is fully air conditioned and as long as you pace yourselves and don't push things you can manage.

fourfortravel Jul 15th, 2019 04:18 PM

We have recently (as in, three weeks ago) returned to the DC area after 7 years overseas.

The weather here is flipping miserable. Hot. Sticky. Gross. Emphasis on the Hot, Sticky, and Gross.

My pronouncement aside, if you pace yourself and remain hydrated you will be just fine. Ditto what everyone else has posted with respect to air-conditioned locales. You'll be just fine. :)

danon Jul 15th, 2019 05:00 PM

Thank you all...
something to think about...

kja Jul 15th, 2019 06:12 PM

I'd rather be in Andalusia. ;-)

danon Jul 15th, 2019 06:31 PM

lol , kja

doug_stallings Jul 16th, 2019 05:28 AM

It's about as hot as hot can be in DC in August. For me, this underscores how important it is to get a hotel in the District that you can escape to if you get overwhelmed, ideally in a shady neighborhood like Dupont Circle rather than in the Downtown/Penn Quarter area. But there are more hotels there. August has an added advantage in that Congress is usually in recess, so hotel prices go down unless there's a big convention. Book a nonrefundable hotel room now even if you think you might change your mind. You can always change or cancel it later.

danon Jul 16th, 2019 06:20 AM

thx, doug

the hotel rates are the big draw...we’ll see

jmoyogi Jul 16th, 2019 07:14 AM

It is forecast to be 99 there this weekend.

TDudette Jul 16th, 2019 07:39 AM

Yes, HHH! But most of the major museums are free and ac'd. Be kind to yourself and take taxis when possible.

Can anyone help with hotels with pools? Always nice at the end of the day.

danon Jul 16th, 2019 07:44 AM

thx..again