Reload this Page >

Washington D.C. on the Fourth of July

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 1998, 10:58 PM
SD

My nephew and I will be arriving in Washington D.C. on July 4th. Where is the best place to be at to see the fireworks? This will be my first time there, and I am unfamilliar with the scope/size of the crowds, and where the best viewing of the fireworks are. I will be staying in Alexandria, VA (Eisenhower Ave. Metro stop). Any information apreciated.

BTW, as far as the biggest fireworks display I've seen, is Columbus, Ohio.

Old Jun 24th, 1998, 12:52 PM
Larry

SD:

I do not live in DC anymore but spent 20+ years in the area and believe I can be of some help. Even though it is crowded you should be on the mall to watch the fireworks. I would not suggest a specific spot on the mall but rather a station on the metro rail system to alight. Since you are staying on the Yellow Line I suggest you get off at the L'Enfant Plaza Station or National Archives and walk 3-4 short blocks to the mall. You won't have to worry about which way - just follow the crowds. If at all possible, stay away from the Smithsonian station on the Blue/Orange Lines. After the fireworks make your way back to the station you came from and remember to catch a Yellow Line train going to Huntington - Not a Green Line Train. The Metro is very easy to use and the station managers are very fiendly and helpful.

Have fun in D.C.

Larry

Old Jun 25th, 1998, 04:42 AM
Neal Sanders

Larry offers good advice; I'll add to it as best I can. The Fourth of July in Washington is a great place to be; the Mall fairly rocks all day long with music, demonstrations (the kind where you see baskets being woven, not the political kind), and the like. Go for as much of the day as you can... recent years have seen crowds of 300-400,000. The fireworks usually start about 9:30, but the crowds spread their blankets at dusk. The best viewing spot is from the Washington Monument (it sits on what passes for a hill in D.C.). But, like Larry said, follow the crowds. You, your nephew, and half a million people are all looking for that "right" spot.

A word about where you're staying. If you're at the Eisenhower Metro, you're likely at the Holiday Inn. The biggest disappointment you'll find there is that you've chosen to stay in the middle of a suburban office park with nary a restaurant or a tourist attraction around. One stop up from you is King Street, which places you at the west end of Old Town Alexandria. That's where the action is; start walking east from the station and you'll encounter all the stuff you won't see in Columbus.

Old Jul 2nd, 2001, 10:15 AM
XXX

Howdy:

Any last-minute words of advice for two people in town for the 4th? What about the threatened weather? What would you all suggest we do if it rains? We have accomodation, etc., set up, and are just trying to get a feel for what we should do in our limited time!

Thanks...

Old Jul 2nd, 2001, 11:48 AM
Linda

Don't know how old your nephew is, but make sure you have cell phones and addresses to meet up if you get separated. And don't let the crowds keep you away from the mall. It is magical!

Concert on the west lawn of the capitol starts at 8 pm. You would probably need to be there by 5 to get a spot large enought to sit on! But there always seems to be room for all. Fireworks are scheduled to begin at 9:10. DON'T drive anywhere. And expect the metro to take forever. It will be a late night - but one you'll remember forever!

Old Jul 2nd, 2001, 11:52 AM
L

Be sure to check the Metro website ... the subway will make some changes in its runs for the 4th, such as on the yellow line from Huntington. Ciao

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 11:44 AM
Ann

The Holiday Inn isn't really in an office park--it's across the street from two large office buildings. If you're at the Courtyard, you're about a quarter-to-half a mile away from the metro. There is a new movie theater right across the street from the metro.

Also, Old Town is a very easy jaunt from Eisenhower. It's only about 1 mile. I walk home from my office in Old Town to my house 1 mile farther down on Eisenhower everyday, and it only takes me 30 minutes. As mentioned above, you can metro to the King Street metro, or if you really like to walk, just walk into Old Town. Alternatively, hop on the Dash bus at Eisenhower. The AT7 Old Town will take you to the King Street Metro stop, or you can keep going on down King Street. It's only $1. To get back, look for the AT7 Landmark. There are other buses that will take you into Old Town--I'm just not familiar with which ones.

I've been on the Mall for the 4th when thunderstorms have hit, and we usually end up at the Dubliner bar, or you can go into Union Station (depending on where you are). Usually, the weather will clear up, and you can go back out. Right now, it's cool, but overcast. I've heard thunderstorms are expected tomorrow, but we have the worst forecasters in the universe here. It will probably snow.