Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Washington D.C.- Jury's and Dupoint Circle Questions (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/washington-d-c-jurys-and-dupoint-circle-questions-668625/)

JJ5 Jan 9th, 2007 07:47 AM

Washington D.C.- Jury's and Dupoint Circle Questions

The hotel availability is not great for our stay in Washington D.C. at the end of February for 7 days. We may have to move 1/2 way through.

Let me know what you think of these hotels or others in the price ranges under $250 a day: Jury's Normandy, Topaz, Hotel Lombardy especially. Tabard Inn sounds wonderful but my SO wants a TV and electronics. Ugh!

Detail all you want about the different areas of Washington D.C. and the pros and cons of each. We are staying IN D.C. and not in Old Town Alexandria, I'm almost sure.

One more question. Is the Old Town Alexandria access to all the public transit as good as it is in Washington D.C. proper. I can't really tell from maps- and also this entire area is a total unknown to me for the most part.

Karina123 Jan 9th, 2007 07:54 AM

i stayed at the hilton in dupont circle in sept and october. i found it to be a great area, close and convenient and safe.

bardo1 Jan 9th, 2007 08:42 AM

Jury's Washington, Topaz, and Jury's Normandy would be my choices - in that order.

I would scratch Hotel Lombardy - it's a bit of a hike to the Farragut West metro stop, it's a bit faded, and it's not in a prime location.

Too bad about Tabard Inn, but you should still consider lunch, dinner, or a weekend brunch there. Reservations required.

Old Town Alexandria is a 10-15 minute walk from the King St. metro station. The area of most interest to tourists is the area closer to the Potomac river. Worth an afternoon (or an evening) for a 7 day DC visit.

youngtom2910 Jan 9th, 2007 10:01 AM

I just went by the Palomar this weekend--looked nice, and very near dupont circle..

JJ5 Jan 9th, 2007 11:00 AM

I really, really appreciate your input as it is helping me tremendously.

I will decide by Friday, but the inputs you are giving me are all coming at the right times. Jury's wouldn't make a deal, as they might have for a 7 day stay. They have a January special that is under 1/2 of what they want to charge me. You would think they would.

youngtom2910, you must have been reading my mind as Washington D.C. Dupont Circ. district bidding area has had only 3 different 4 stars ever given. They are Westin, Omni and Palomar. If I was REALLY a gambler I might bid on 4 star that district and take what they give me. Hey, you only live once and I haven't been there in over 46 years.

If I was going for three days I would just take the Tabard Inn. And Katrina, I agree that it does look like Dupont Circle would fit us perfectly.

And I AM going to go to Old Town Alexandria for a day- for sure. And I am going to go to Tabard Inn for a meal- that is absolute.

All you D.C. experts. Look here for my posts as starting next week I will probably have a lot of specific questions.

THANKS!

malka Jan 10th, 2007 08:53 AM

Jurys right at Dupont Circle is good, but I would not say the Jurys Normandy is in the same league at all. Topaz is a bit trendy, but you might try Hotel Monaco two blocks or so south of Dupont Circle, I think it is managed by same people and it might be much more comfortable. Try for a room with balcony and a view. There is a popular bar/restaurant there called Firefly. Another option would be Swann House, a large and lovely bed and breakfast hotel north of the Circle, and even better would be Inn at the Circle, a beautiful bed and breakfast in the best possible location one block north of the Circle and block from Metro. It's just a block from Jurys, and you are surrounded by restaurants, bookstores, bakeries and shops, and lovely old historic buildings. The rooms should have tvs. Palomar looks good from outside, have not seen the rooms though. Would definitely recommend Dupont Circle over Old Town Alexandria, but it all depends on personal tastes of course. Have a wonderful trip, it's a beautiful city!

kayd Jan 10th, 2007 09:17 AM

A correction to one bit in Malka's otherwise very informative post:

Hotel Monaco is near Gallery Place, not Dupont circle. I think s/he meant Hotel Madera on New Hamplshire Ave NW.

patg Jan 10th, 2007 09:34 AM

Check out
www.washingtonsuiteshotel.com

Click on "Enter Here" to make a direct reservation with the hotel.

They have some very good prices for the last week of February, plus free breakfast. The location is close to George Washington U and Foggy Bottom Metro stop.

malka Jan 10th, 2007 10:08 AM

Whoops, I should have said Hotel Madera not Monaco. Thank you kayd, that could have been confusing. (A she, by the way!)

JJ5 Jan 10th, 2007 10:20 AM

You've all helped tremendously as I'm getting placements and relationships in distances so much better too with your help.

I tried the Washington Suites, patg, but they don't have availability for my entire stay. I'm getting that a lot because I'm staying a whole week.

But I'm not worried. With your help and all I've found I have a pretty good idea about area now and I'll make reservations by Friday.

I'm definitely staying near Dupont Circle/surrounding district and not in Alexandria.

I've already sent letter to my congressman to get W.House tour etc. and have a bunch more in the works.
It's going to be OUTSTANDING.

Thanks!

patg Jan 10th, 2007 10:44 AM

JJ5 -
Be sure to use the "Enter Here" link, NOT the reservation link with a phone pictured. They are showing availabilty for the last two weeks of February at 129 and 209 a night for a suite.

JJ5 Jan 10th, 2007 12:14 PM

Then all I get is a circular number of screens that do not allow me pricing. They want an email member number etc. I think. I think I would have to join some members group to get into this. They just end with a no availability screen.

I can mess with it somewhat at home tonight. I do think it would be good choice. Especially true if Priceline fails on a 7 day and it probably will.

JJ5 Jan 10th, 2007 12:45 PM

Thanks, patg, as I can get it for less through Bestfares link anyway. So it is a real possibly if the Priceline and others fall through for the 7 day period. Thanks!

It looks nice- did you like the Georgetown area? Have you stayed at this location yourself? Thanks for your help.

Ann41 Jan 16th, 2007 05:38 AM

King Street metro brings you into Old Town Alexandria. There's no "walking to" Old Town. You're there. If you were to walk straight down King Street to the water without stopping, it would take 22 minutes. But of course you'll want to stop. I'd also wander off King Street to look at houses, but wait until you get below Washington.

If it's cold, or even if it's not, stop at Misha's for coffee. It's just off King Street, and you'll smell the coffee before you see the building.

JJ5 Jan 16th, 2007 05:51 AM

Thanks, Ann41, that's exactly what we will do- walk to the water. We are older but we still walk distances.

I hope we hit better weather for the 3 days, at least, that we will be outside. I will definitely hit Misha's as I am a real coffee person.

We ended up making a kitchenette reservation at the Quincy (used to be Lincoln Suites) on L Street. What do you think of the location, truthfully.
We don't mind quieter at night, and do not need to be in the midst of a "happening" area. Also, if you know D.C. well- would you stay in that area?

MoonGirl Jan 16th, 2007 04:17 PM

I live in D.C. That would not be my favorite area to stay in because, as other posters have indicated, much of it (except the Borders) shuts down at the end of the work day and feels a little empty. However, that's not to say that I _wouldn't_ stay there, just that it wouldn't be one of my personal top choices, unless the price is unbeatable. I would certainly feel safe staying there, as there are still plenty of people and cars on the streets there at night. You might encounter a couple of homeless people here or there, but they are largely not a threat to your safety. And it is close to public transport options.

If you are after a kitchenette, my own favorite (which I've recently recommended on a couple of other posts) is the Capitol Hill Suites, which is next to the Library of Congress and within walking distance of the Capitol, Supreme Court, and the Mall.

JJ5 Jan 17th, 2007 05:47 AM

Thanks, MoonGirl. They did give me a good, but not unbeatable, rate for the space and a kitchenette set up. I appreciate your truthful answer. I'm still tempted to procure 4 star on Priceline but I know we would probably be happier at the Quincy for how we are doing this trip. We will be too walked out by nighttime to do much of anything considered nightlife anyway.

I will look up Capitol suggestion. I think they were on one of my lists that didn't have availability or where much more $$. I notice all the rates everywhere change for the last week of Feb. & the first week of March upwards, by the way. Even with Priceline nothing for any straight 7 day period is what I would call an unbeatable rate, as Priceline and vrbo can sometimes be.

Thanks!

JJ5 Jan 17th, 2007 05:59 AM

I just looked it up. Regularly it is under the price of the Quincy but for those two weeks I've mentioned it is nearly twice as much. And much more $$ than the price the Quincy gave me.

It just must be availability of hotel rooms in town at that time.

MoonGirl Jan 18th, 2007 06:28 PM

Well, I think you'll be fine JJ5 -- as I said you are close to the metro (both orange/blue and red lines, which is convenient) and are within walking distance of the Dupont Circle area, which is always lively. I'm sure you'll have fun!

MoonGirl Jan 18th, 2007 07:17 PM

P.S. In thinking about your location, I am reminded that right around the corner, at 1827 M Street NW, is a restaurant called Malaysia Kopitiam that consistently gets written up as one of the best "bargain" restaurants in the city: http://www.malaysiakopitiam.com/
I have not been there myself, but it gets raves from everyone I know who has.