Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Washington D.C. & Virginia Countryside. . .Ideas?

Washington D.C. & Virginia Countryside. . .Ideas?

Jun 8th, 1997, 09:01 AM
Melanie Baker

Washington D.C. & Virginia Countryside. . .Ideas?

We will be in D.C. over the Fourth of July and then plan to rent a car to drive into Virginia. We are planning to stay in the Sperryville/Washington, VA area, dine at the Inn at Little Washington and then drive to Charlottesville for a few days. We then will drive to Baltimore to fly home to Nashville. Does anyone have ideas as to how we might make July 4th special in D.C. or do you know of any not to miss places in Virginia. We will be travelling with our two children, ages 8 & 10.

Jun 9th, 1997, 01:30 PM
Neal Sanders

You're choosing a beautiful area of the country for a vacation, but with a caveat: early July in Virginia has two kinds of weather hot, humid and rainy, and just plain hot and humid. If you have a dinner reservation at the Inn at Little Washington, you're in for one of the great dining experiences the region has to offer. The food is wonderful, the surroundings just as grand. Be prepared for sticker shock: the prix fixe dinner (and that's the only kind they have) is $88.00, and I've never noticed a special menu price for children. The Inn also has about 15 rooms, each one decorated to a different theme. I mention the rooms because Little Washington is roughly 30 miles from the nearest anything. We've stayed there night several times and found the Inn delightful. If you do stay the night, have the Inn pack you a picnic lunch for the next day: lunch for two will feed a small army. Other things in the vicinity: first, on your way out I-66, stop in at the Virginia Welcome Center in Manassas and pick up a copy of the Virginia Byways map, which will show you scenic routes across the state. Use that map to navigate the area around Middleburg, Upperville and Flint Hill. This is Virginia horse country, rolling and green; immaculately maintained. Call ahead to Blue Ridge Farms (near Middleburg) and ask if they're taking visitors when you'll be there. It would be a few hours well spent. The most scenic road is, of course, Skyline Drive; and to miss driving at least 50 miles of it would be to miss seeing some of the most inspiring scenery along the east coast. Other sights? The Manassas battlefield is a must-see, and give it plenty of time. The National Park Service has done a thoughtful job of interpreting the site, and it is incongruous how some much blood could have been shed on a site so beautiful. You probably also have Monticello on your itinerary, and it's well worth visiting. Less crowded but just as historic is Montpelier, James Madison's home near Orange. Between Jefferson and Madison, you've pretty well covered the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution, and the two homes provide a glimpse of the lives of the men who authored those documents. If Richmond isn't too far afield for your trip, there are two very fine museums in the city. First, the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, which has a superb collection of 19th century British and American paintings, Tiffany glass, and sculpture. The second is the Museum of the Confederacy. This is not a retrograde "forget, hell" bastion of intolerance. Rather, it's a serious museum dedicated to exploring the impact of the Civil War on the people of the South. It is intelligently curated and has no romantic attachments to the idea of the Confederacy. As to Washington DC on the fourth of July, there are at least ten different discussions on Fodors going back a month or more which detail what to do and where to go in DC on the nation's birthday. They're your tax dollars, enjoy seeing them spent!

Jun 10th, 1997, 12:21 PM
jeanne

I was in Washington DC once for the 4th, when I was
16. It was great fun. They fireworks are really
nice. They put them off along side the washington
Monument. I think your kids will enjoy that. The
museums should all be open on the 4th

Jun 25th, 1997, 10:53 AM
R. Kohout

Williamsburg area. Restored town, Busch gardens, Wet and Wild, Yorktown, Jamestown.

Search this Thread