Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Washington crossing the Delaware reenactment,Christmas Day, lunch nearby

Washington crossing the Delaware reenactment,Christmas Day, lunch nearby

Nov 30th, 2012, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Washington crossing the Delaware reenactment,Christmas Day, lunch nearby

This is something I've thought about doing, but never have. Maybe this year, weather permitting?
Has anyone gone? I'd be driving from NYC so while it's suitable for a day trip, I don't want to waste hours if it's not that interesting.

I'm also looking for some place on the way back for a casual non-holiday late lunch.
In NYC, there are many choices of Asian or Indian restaurants that would be open as well as some local casual restaurants that have their regular menus that day. I assume the choices in suburban NJ/PA are fewer? If you know of anything (even an odd sandwich place) that might be open, please let me know.
Nov 30th, 2012, 11:25 AM

You might want to see if this place will be open

It's Nutts
1382 River Road (Route 29)
Titusville, NJ 08560

Telephone: 609-737-0505
Fax: 609-737-0509

Open 7 Days a week! 7am - 9pm
serving Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner

We accept cash only. ATM available inside.

We take reservations for parties of 6 or more.
We are a BYO establishment!
http://www.itsnuttsrestaurant.com/index2.php#/home/
Nov 30th, 2012, 11:31 AM

Here is another nearby place
http://www.patriots-crossing.com/

I've passed it a million times but never ate there. I think it recently changed names or something.
Nov 30th, 2012, 11:33 AM

I did some more research and I guess the restaurant is under new ownership. What was there before was Faharty's and this is a branc new restaurant apparently.
Nov 30th, 2012, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, vjpblovesitaly . I'll check them out.
Have you ever been to the reenactment?
Nov 30th, 2012, 11:38 AM

I think about 30+ years ago when I lived in the area.
Nov 30th, 2012, 12:44 PM

I do know that It's Nutts (great fried chicken and "tomato pies" by the way) was closed last year on Christmas. We hoped to do breakfast there on our way to our usual Christmas morning movie.

And although I haven't been to the "new" Patriot's -- friends said they walked out when no one would seat them and the place reeked of "old beer". I have noticed they often stack their trash and old liquor boxes right outside the main entrance -- rather than take them around to the trash area. That seemed reason enough to think it wasn't a place I'd want to go.

I don't have any other suggestions -- are you going via 202 through Flemington?
Nov 30th, 2012, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

I haven't decided on a route yet, NeoPatrick. Detours are also fine if there's something else open on Xmas day or place to eat that's worth it. Fried chicken sounds great, so if they are open, that may be it!

Just to clarify though, I also didn't realize initially that the reenactment is at PAs WC Historic park, right? I'm familiar with the one in NJ and also similarly named NJs WC STATE park.
Dec 1st, 2012, 05:32 AM

I have not been, but many friends have. And because we are on the NJ side, that's where they've seen it from. Clearly the crossing is from PA to NJ across the river, so I'm guessing it doesn't make much difference which side you're on. I've not heard of a big difference in ceremonies on either side. But some report a few years ago the river was very low, and the "soldiers" had to get out of the boats and drag or push them across -- which severly took away from the seriousness of the reenactment.

If the weather is good this year, you just might see me there -- it's about 10 minutes from me -- and if it fits between our movie (Les Miz, this year), and our afternoon dinner -- it would be fun to see.

Search this Thread