Wash.DC: Budget Hotel Near Holocaust Memorial Museum

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2003, 10:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am unfamiliar with Washington. I need a clean quiet budget hotel within walking distance of the Holocaust Memorial Museum at 14th Street between Independence Ave. and C Street for one night in the beginning of June. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old May 12th, 2003, 03:18 AM

I doubt that you will find such a place. That museum's neighbors are government buildings. The museum is walking distance from the Smithsonian Metro stop (subway).

I'm pretty sure that you will need a reservation to visit the museum.
Old May 12th, 2003, 04:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not sure what you consider walking distance but while at a conference at the Four Points Sheraton, I walked to the Holocaust Museum (took about 25-30 minutes). Also, I did not have a reservation but it was midweek so I don't know about a weekend visit. It was a very memorable experience.
Old May 12th, 2003, 04:39 AM

The closest place that might be considered budget is the Hotel Harrington (11th & E st NW). Here's the info: http://www.hotel-harrington.com/index.htm

The are 3 places that are closer to museum but thay are not budget:
1) JW Marriot on Penn. ave.
2) Hotel Washington
3) Willard Hotel (super pricy!)
Old May 12th, 2003, 05:46 AM

I've found the L'Enfant Plaza Metro stop just about as convenient for visiting the Holocaust Museum as the Smithsonian, especially if your travels mean transfering at that stop anyway.

You can get reserved tickets online for the museum -- for a fee of course, or just get in line where passes for admission at various timed intervals are handed out free.

Harrington was the hotel that I first thought of, but I have seen rooms at the Red Roof Inn for less from time to time. Go to redroof.com and click on "Reds Deals", or something to that nature. Holiday Inns also list good deals on hotels for the upcoming weekend with some good prices. Two weeks ago I stayed at Days Inn Camp Springs, which was about a 10 minute walk from the Branch Ave Metro station, at the SE end of the Green Line, paying about $50 for a Monday night.

Basically, don't worry about staying at facilities within walking distance to the museums ... instead, look into being walking distance to a Metro, and use that clean, safe, efficient system for getting around. The website stationmasters.com (or .org?) lists various hotels within 1/2 mile of Metro stations. Enjoy your trip.
Old May 12th, 2003, 06:42 PM

I think the L'Enfant Plaza is the closest hotel. It really depends what your idea of budget is, but if you can get some good deal or quikbook or Priceline discounts, you might get something reasonable within a mile walk -- there are a couple Holiday Inns not too far, for example, as well as that Four Points Hotel and there is the one near Union Station that is pretty reasonable (the Park Phoenix, I think). I wouldn't worry about walking to it, though, that's not that possible, as noted. The Harrington probably is the most budget within a mile.