Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Warwick, RI-hotel booked was that wrong choice?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just booked 4 nights at Residence Inn at Warwick. Wanted to be near beaches with my family. Was that a bad choice of cities? Guess I've been thinking so long of where to go and where to stay I just finally did it. Will do some site-seeing but did want to just sit and play at a beach. Wanted a hotel with kitchen and lots of space that is why I went with Residence Inn. Still time to cancel. Going 8/14.
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 11:05 AM

I don't know. My favorite beach is East Beach. We go left at the end of the road and park there and walk the beach if we feel like a snack or a restroom break. It is less congested.
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 11:06 AM

Well, Warwick isn't right near the nicest beaches, but I find it's an economical and central location to stay if you don't mind driving 30-40 minutes. I've done it a couple times when I wanted to spend one day at the beach and other days elsewhere. If you're gong to be "commuting" to the beach everyday, it may be a little less fun, but I think you still get much more bang for the buck at the hotels in Warwick.
The hotels in Newport are much more expensive, and there are few hotels (more inns & motels) in the area called South County.

What are your other choices--outside of Rhode Island completely?
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

Ok, guess our choice wasn't too bad. We will beach it and site-see. Our other choice was Milford, CT! Just couldn't make up or minds. Please any help in the "what to see" category would be great. Also, best places for seafood and pizza. On a beer budget or mid-priced! Thanks!
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 12:16 PM

I think Warwick is a much better choice that Milford.
South County beaches in Rhode Island are much much nicer, and you're within striking distance of Newport, Providence, The eastern bay of Narragansett Bay (towns like Bristol).

Who's traveling? Places that might be fun for your group might not be the same as I'd choose. For example, I don't travel with kids, so the restaurants and sights I like might be really dull for your family. Others here will probably have good suggestions for food places. Have you searched for other Rhode Island postings here? I think there have been a couple of family travel reports here in the past year.
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 12:17 PM

You might consider an early morning trip to the zoo

http://www.rogerwilliamsparkzoo.org/
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 03:06 PM

In Warwick, we have eaten at Bertucci's a couple of times. It is on Post Road, near the airport. The food was good and the prices pretty reasonable:

http://www.bertuccis.com/#
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 03:19 PM

Narragansett beach or Scarborough would be closer to Warwick than East or West Beach. Harder to park at Narragansett Beach.

http://www.visitrhodeisland.com/what...tt-town-beach/

http://www.visitrhodeisland.com/what...borough-beach/
Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 05:15 AM

Although I am a fan of Marriott properties, I think you can do much better than this hotel because of its' location. If you are flying into RI, this property is only a short ride from the airport. It is located very conveniently to Route 95 so you can easily drive to the beaches of South County and Newport. The trip would be about 45 minutes - 1 hour depending on the beach traffic and your ultimate beach destination.

Check out the Residence Inn in Middletown, RI which is just adjacent to Newport. Your trip to the beach will be only minutes from here and you should get the benefit of a less expensive room than staying in Newport itself.
Old Jul 25th, 2010, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Looks like the Middletown Residence Inn is more expensive. Not sure if the higher price is worth it. There will be four traveling, myself, dh, and 20 & 18 yr old sons. Want to site-see and beach it. Is Warwick just too far to take side trip to Cape Code? DH doesn't think so. We are from WI and are driving this trip. Our Warwick location has better room set up. All my guys are well over 6" and need room to stretch.