Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   warren & annabelle's (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/warren-and-annabelles-574612/)

aliwnec10 Dec 5th, 2005 02:34 PM

warren & annabelle's

The Warren & annebelle show... my future husband and i are thinking about booking this for october 2006. I know they have admission for $45 or you can get food/drinks for more money, $79. Was the food and drinks really worth it? Also, i've heard that the pre-show wasn't interesting... can you show up late or skip that part? What time did you have to be there and when did the show start?

OldSouthernBelle Dec 5th, 2005 03:28 PM

I found the food fantastic, but it is served on your lap in a bar/lounge atmosphere (think Cheers). The pre entertainment is corny, but fun.

The magic show, on the other hand is great!! Informal with interaction between Warren and the audience. Bone up on your Andy Griffith Show trivia (they give a prize and it just adds to the interaction).

Warren & Annabelle have a website and toll free #, so check with them about the specific times for your show.

Belle

JillianinMN Dec 5th, 2005 05:41 PM

We loved it. We must have paid the $79 each becuase I know we had drinks and appetizers. We stopped by the Hard Rock before the show and had a drink. I know we were not hungry or thirsty. I agree... the pre show can be corny... kind of Downtown Disney meets Hawaii. It is nice, because they oddly enough know about some audience members to pick on them and it's a great time with your sweetie to just get in the mood for the show. The show was FANTASTIC! Great magic, and very funny. We've recommended it to everyone we know are visiting Maui. You'll have a blast!

Patty Dec 19th, 2005 02:06 PM

We did the show only last time, so I can't tell you anything about the food. We're going back to see the show next month and were told that they start seating people in the theater around 5:45pm, so I think we're going to show up around that time. The check-in and pre-show starts at 5:00pm and you can show up anytime between then and when Warren's show starts. I'd double check with them for specific times in October.

moldyhotelsaregross Dec 19th, 2005 06:17 PM

Who are Warren and Annebelle?

OldSouthernBelle Dec 19th, 2005 06:22 PM

Warren is a magician/understated comedian ( and great at both!)& Annabelle is his sidekick/ghost.

Belle

bertaron Dec 20th, 2005 08:03 AM

Warren and Annabelle's was a good time. The food is all appetizzers and you can purchase different packages whether you want appetizzer plus desert or just appetizer. The appetizzer plate was not small so you do get full. We saw Warren at the beginning of this month and I want to say we got out after 11pm. You can park in the shopping mall that his place is at and they will validate for 4 hours. Sometimes in Lahaina it is tough to find parking. They also say it can get cold in the theater so bring a sweater. I didn't find it cold but some people did. His magic was excellent and he has a dry sense of humor that does poke fun at people.

Maggi Dec 20th, 2005 08:20 AM

Sorry, am I the only one who was not impressed with this show? I can think of a lot of other great ways outdoors to spend time in Hawaii. The slight-of-hand magic tricks don't lend themselves to an auditorium and I thought the jokes were lame. Just my opinion - I don't want to offend anyone here.

Patty Dec 20th, 2005 10:43 AM

Yes, Maggi I think you're the only one ;)

OldSouthernBelle Dec 20th, 2005 03:28 PM

Maggi: I am not offended...I believe all people have an opinion and should not be chastised for expressing a dissenting vote!

That said, I DO think you are in the minority, judging from past posts I've seen...I have seen your opinion expressed on this before, and I don't recall much support for your opinion...(also not wanting to offend you, just stating what I think I've observed).

I'm usually alittle cynical myself, but this had me laughing to tears!

Belle

Maggi Dec 20th, 2005 06:10 PM

I remember planning our first trip to Hawaii - there were so many things on my list. When we got there all I wanted to do is lie on the beach and drink in that heavenly scented air. Going to the show was an afterthought. When I dream of returning to my beloved Hawaii, it's not Warren and Annabelle's I dream of. I realize there are different strokes for different folks. That's what makes the world go round. In frigid Michigan, I am LONGING for that beach right around now.

OldSouthernBelle Dec 21st, 2005 07:50 AM

Maggi: I don't lie on the beach at night in Hawaii...by that time, I'm looking for some good food, company, &/or entertaiment, which W & A provided very well!

Like you said, different strokes for different folks!:)

Belle

LordBalfor Dec 21st, 2005 08:21 AM

Maggi -

No, you're not the only one, but in general most folks really seem to enjoy this show. I know we did - and I consider it to be the best single thing we did on Maui. My wife's only complaint was that her face hurt from laughing so much.

Ken

Brian_in_Charlotte Dec 21st, 2005 08:27 AM

I must say that the incredibly positive comments re: this show has me considering it for our trip in Feb, though this is exactly the kind of thing I would usually avoid. Let me ask this: does this generally cater to an older crowd? Will a couple of 30-somethings feel a bit out of place? Thanks.

LordBalfor Dec 21st, 2005 08:28 AM

Lots of 30-somethings there.

Ken

LordBalfor Dec 21st, 2005 08:31 AM

PS - I can relate to your longing for warmth. I lived in Battle Creek for a few years as kid - and spent 2 winters in frigid North Dakota as well.

No wonder I'm such a fan of the tropics.

Ken

LordBalfor Dec 21st, 2005 08:32 AM

Opps! that "PS was meant for Maggi.

Ken

Davethecat65 Dec 21st, 2005 09:42 AM

I think Belle had it right in her first post, although I thought the food was good (much better and much more than I expected, but not exactly haute cuisine). We had a lot of fun at the pre-entertainment which is definitely corny. We were amazed by what Warren did in the show. Really simple magic, but we could not begin to figure our how he did it. Maybe its simplicity is what makes it amazing. And he's very personable. I really recommend doing the whole thing.

And have a great time in Maui. I don't see how you can't!

Patty Dec 21st, 2005 11:01 AM

<this is exactly the kind of thing I would usually avoid>

I thought the same thing before I saw the show. We're going back to see it again.

From a 30-something

OldSouthernBelle Dec 21st, 2005 12:21 PM

Patty: ...As did I (thing I'd normally avoid)...but, I'm so glad I did not! When we were there, Warren mentioned the fact that he may be going 'on tour' on the mainland in 2006...anyone got any specifics on this? I'd LOVE to see him again!

Another ? His show is very much based on info from Andy Griffith Show (often mistakenly called Griffin) and his son's name is Griffin. In addition, Warren said he hails from South Carolina, so does anyone know if he is related to Andy??
Brian, if you go, maybe you would be so kind as to ask him for me and then post?

Belle