Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Warning to travelers: Cicadas have killed millions of trees in Mid Atlantic States!

Search

Warning to travelers: Cicadas have killed millions of trees in Mid Atlantic States!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2004, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Were you looking forward to a trip to the Mid Atlantic States visiting parks and other scenic forested attractions? Warning! Warning!

About 1/3 of the trees in the Mid Atlantic States are badly damaged by the Cicadas! Brown leaves are everywhere and the beauty of the typical summer is greatly limited.

Please report in about the Cicada damage to your trees in your home town.
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 10:30 AM

That's a shame about the damage, but OTOH it's not quite the same as the trees being literally killed. Most will recover from this admittedly unattractive situation.
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 10:36 AM

Too alarmist there travdis...99% of the trees will recover,; only the unhealthiest will die from this.

If it bothers you, come on up to Upstate NY. The trees are fine and the weather is great. I is like having air conditioning everywhere you go. AAHHHH!
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 10:38 AM
Blacktie

Can I say bullsh*t on this site, lol, are you hyping the next nature horrow film, "CiCada's ... You can feel The Crunch."

Old Jul 7th, 2004, 10:43 AM
GoTravel

The glass is half full.

Firewood should be quite inexpensive this winter.

Old Jul 7th, 2004, 10:45 AM
jor

The sky is falling, The sky is falling. I'll be sure to "report in"!
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 10:51 AM
emd

I live in Northern VA, outside D.C., and my home is on the edge of a large tree preservation area w/huge old tall trees. I am looking out at them right now, and there are no signs of cicadas being here, although they were so loud for a few wks in late May and early June that you could hear them in the house, sounded like a blender on high speed when you opened the door. But I see no signs they were here. A few brown tips on one type of tree, but nothing I haven't seen in other summers from normal bagworm population, etc.
Where are you getting your info about 1/3 of the trees being badly damaged?
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 10:55 AM
emd

How gullible I am. This is why my father used to play all thos epractical jokes on me, I fell for every one and never saw it coming. And now I see that this is the first and only post by travdis. Well, he/she got me to look out the window. And with that, I am going to tell you the GREAT news about the cicadas. They ate alot of the Japanese beetles, or at least scared them away- I had some for a few days but then they were gone, and usually they are all over the garden for weeks. Cicadas are a good thing! God bless the cicadas, can't wait another 17 yrs for them to come back.
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 12:34 PM

As one who has hiked throughout southeast Pennsylvania, including areas where the cicadas were so loud that I kept looking for where the flying saucer was landing, I find the statement "About 1/3 of the trees in the Mid Atlantic States are badly damaged" both (1) does not fit any thing I have seen where I live and (2) extremely dubious. That's a LOT of trees!

I have been unable to find anything remotely resembling such a statement. So, TravDis, unless you can provide a link to your source, I'm going to view your claim in the same category as the statement "Aliens Are Here For Our Krispy Kremes!"

At least I have a link for THAT story:

http://www.keepmedia.com/ShowItemDet...88&extID=10026
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 12:47 PM
Cassandra

Fiddlesticks. Many trees may have been denuded of leaves, but I was around for the last infestation 17 years ago, and as others have pointed out, only the very ill trees didn't recover. In the meantime, I've been to Baltimore and back and seen almost no evidence of troubled trees.

Old Jul 7th, 2004, 12:52 PM
dcespedes

Fiddlesticks--I LOVE it!!! I was in Maryland last week and saw just the tips of trees dead from the cicadas. In Delaware I saw almost no damage. The piles of dead carcasas looked like something from a creature feature--it's going to be okay, Dorothy, I think we're going to live.

Old Jul 7th, 2004, 02:53 PM

No cicadas in Northern NJ. Trees are all nice & leafy green! Glad they missed us, wherever those buggers are!