savannah hampton or doubletree on points?

Old May 29th, 2005, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
savannah hampton or doubletree on points?

Hi

My husband and I want to visit Savannah in September using Hilton points. I am trying to decide between the Hampton Inn or the Doubletree. I know that they are both in the historic district, which is where we would like to stay. The Hampton seems to be a favorite here, but the Doubletree sounds nicer. Can anyone help me with an opinion?

Thanks
Old May 29th, 2005, 07:11 AM

They are both very nice and worth the points. The Hampton Inn is NOT a usual Hampton Inn. Very nice decor and good location. I choose to stay at the HI more often because of the free breakfast. In addition to the normal offerings, they usually have something hot - eggs, sausage, biscuits and gravy, french toast, etc. Note - the hot items rotate - not all on the same day. The lobby area is nice - honor bar, fireplace, very helpful conceirge, popcorn in the afternoon. I also choose it because it is steps away from the Pink House - my favorite rest. in Savannah. Self park.

The Doubletree is nice. Those chocolate chip cookies are hard to beat. My last stay included a coupon for breakfast - but that may not come with points. Just steps away from City Market. Valet parking. Both are on Bay street so equidistant from the river. The Pink House sister rest's, Garibaldi and Bistro Savannah are close as is Lady and Sons.

IMO it would be a tossup if they are the same # of points. You can't go wrong with either.
Old May 29th, 2005, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. The tossup IS the dilema as they are both the same in points. My problem is I worry about not picking the best one and then having regrets. Sounds like I'll be OK either way.

Thanks again.
Old May 29th, 2005, 07:24 AM
bonniebroad

Starrsville, when you say "The Hampton Inn is NOT a usual Hampton Inn" that may give an impression that you didn't mean to, about the chain, in general??? I have stayed in many Hampton Inns, and all have been absolutely great, and some a notch above that, which is probably what you meant about the one there in Savannah Historic area.

KPlumm, you hear raves about both hotels; I know DoubleTree Hotel is ranked one notch higher than Hampton Inn when you use Hilton Points, a 5 compared to a 4.

I'd love to be in Savannah in either one right now!

Old May 29th, 2005, 07:26 AM
bonniebroad

Okay, we posted at the same time, KPlumm. When I pull up the Hampton & DoubleTree websites, they indicate a difference in points, one 30,000, one 35,000???? Hmmmmmmmmm...

Old May 29th, 2005, 07:38 AM

Thanks, bonniebroad. I'll clarify.

I LOVE Hampton Inns. They are my 1st choice when I'm traveling. What I like best about Hampton Inns is the consisentcy. I know what the hotel and room will look like no matter where I am. Their 100% guarantee has meant I've never checked into one that I didn't enjoy.

Having said that, the Hampton Inn Historic District takes the normal Hampton Inn up a very big notch. Brick exterior to look like a historic Savannah building. Room decor that is VERY nice. Pretty lobby - as pretty as the Doubletree. Fire always in the fireplace. Pretty public rooms. Rooftop pool overlooking Savannah. VERY nice hotel.

I would imagine that many would think a Doubletree is a step or two nicer than a Hampton Inn. I was trying to say that I don't think this is necessarily the case. I like self park vs. valet. I like rolling my bag vs. waiting for a bellman to bring my bag. I like a breakfast buffet rather than eating in a hotel restaurant. I did have a service issue at the Doubletree but I reported it to management and was given a drink coupon (that I did not use). I would not hold that incident against the Doubletree in any way.

I don't usually stay in Doubletrees because I've found a wide range in quality. Could NOT believe the old hotel I hated in Tampa is now a Doubletree.

But, the two hotel options in Savannah are truly a toss-up. If you want the feel of a full-service hotel, choose the Doubletree I guess. There's construction going on next door at present, but I would imagine it will be completely before your trip.
Old May 29th, 2005, 12:09 PM

Have never stayed at Savannah Doubletree, but have been to Hampton Inn a number of times. Very nice. Continental breakfast included. Parking is easy - either in their underground garage, lot across the street - or if both are full will give you a voucher to city garage also across the street.
Old May 29th, 2005, 03:24 PM

We've booked the Hampton Inn for two nights next week. Have dinner reservations one night at Garibaldi's and one night at The Olde Pink House. Have never been to Savannah and really looking forward to it!
Old May 30th, 2005, 06:23 AM

Make sure you get the Hampton Inn in the historic district and not the one on the outskirts. The historic district one is lovely, much more upscale than your typical chain hotel. The one on the outskirts is a dump, IMO. We made a quick one nt stop there on a drive from MA to FL and didn't need to be downtown. We were incredulous at how old, creepy and rundown it was.