Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Warmth in December without Zika?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/warmth-in-december-without-zika-1137796/)

acebeer1 Oct 21st, 2016 12:05 PM

Warmth in December without Zika??

My husband has some days off leftover from paternity leave that he has to take this year, so we were thinking of going away this December without or without (if we can get family to watch them) our 2 children, ages 2 and 9 months. Our go-to, Miami, is out because of Zika concerns, as well as the Carribean. Where else can we go that we wont have to pack winter coats and enjoy nice weather in the winter? We are coming from NYC.

Thanks!

ekscrunchy Oct 21st, 2016 12:19 PM

Plenty of Zika-free options in Mexico, from the Pacific Coast resorts to Oaxaca, to San Miguel/Guanajuato. Hve you been to Mexico?

Do you want a beach resort, or a place with beautiful weather where you can sightsee and also relax around a pool?

acebeer1 Oct 21st, 2016 12:21 PM

We've been to Mexico several times, but to the Atlantic coast (cancun etc). I love beach but my husband prefers sight seeing so a combo of both is the ideal.

MmePerdu Oct 21st, 2016 12:44 PM

How many "days off leftover"?

Gardyloo Oct 21st, 2016 12:51 PM

Anywhere in California south of the Bay Area, e.g. Santa Barbara, LA, San Diego, Palm Springs/Joshua Tree... Or Arizona - Phoenix, Tucson...

Hawaii, but it's a long way.

Andalusia in Southern Spain.

mlgb Oct 21st, 2016 02:01 PM

Andy desert area CAN get pretty chilly overnight(even seen frozen puddles of water and frost)Won't be snowing tho..LA and San Diego are springlike year round. Sometimes December is a "little summer" between storms (hoping we get some) The warmest gear you'd likely need would be polyfleece jackets.

acebeer1 Oct 21st, 2016 02:05 PM

A week. We've done LA a few times, but not SF. Thinking maybe Vegas, Tuscon, Bermuda, Charleston/Savannah. Open to other ideas!

Macross Oct 21st, 2016 02:57 PM

Just stay out of Miami. It is only there. Go to Key West.

ekscrunchy Oct 21st, 2016 06:02 PM

Mexico City plus a coastal resort (Pacific side) or plus Puebla (I did that last one in 2014)

Oaxaca plus Huatulco

Morelia/Patzcuaro plus Zihuatanejo

No winter coats but you can't depend on great weather in Charleston/Savannah. But even if you get a cold snap, that is a great combo for a week.

New Orleans/Cajun country

Tucson would be great, too...

Not sure about Bermuda weather in December

Gretchen Oct 22nd, 2016 01:45 AM

Why is zika a concern to you at this point unless you plan to get pregnant on this trip? Maybe I'm missing something, but I think I've stayed "up" on this.

Kathie Oct 22nd, 2016 09:35 AM

Gretchen, if they want to get pregnant within the next year or so, they both need to avoid Zika areas.

MmePerdu Oct 22nd, 2016 09:49 AM

This is virtually the same request as another of the OP's in 2014, substituting zika for chikungunya and I don't see that any decision was made. I should have known better than to post on one of these nebulous efforts to not have to think.

Gretchen Oct 22nd, 2016 10:32 AM

Well, yes, Kathie, as I put in mine. Agree with the Madam.

Christina Oct 23rd, 2016 10:11 AM

I think southern California is a good idea.

Mexico City is not exactly balmy in December, even if a bit warmer than NYC. It will still get quite chilly at night in central Mexico up in those altitudes, though. I mean it may be low 60s in daytime but down to 40 at night.

acebeer1 Nov 9th, 2016 07:47 PM

Mme since you seem concerned we went to Florida and the Keys in 2014.

acebeer1 Nov 9th, 2016 07:53 PM

I think we are leaning towards Savannah and Charleston.