Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Warm Winter Vacay in US, but not FL. or CA. (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/warm-winter-vacay-in-us-but-not-fl-or-ca-954720/)

zwho Oct 25th, 2012 02:49 PM

Warm Winter Vacay in US, but not FL. or CA.

Would like suggestions on a warm weather spot for a family vacation during Xmas break. Want to stay in the US, but want something out of the box. Does it exist? No Southern California or Central Florida, (Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, West Palm Beach). How about Southeast coast over Fl.? Anyplace warmish? Thanks in advance.

starrs Oct 25th, 2012 03:13 PM

St. Croix, USVI

Dukey1 Oct 25th, 2012 04:01 PM

Define "warm" first of all; agree that for almost guaranteed good weather the Virgin Islands or Puerto Rico would work if you insist on staying in US territory.

But I suggest you make reservations SOON.

zwho Oct 25th, 2012 04:04 PM

Thank you for your answers. I guess I should have said, just not cold or chance of snow!

nytraveler Oct 25th, 2012 04:15 PM

You can get warmish - 50s perhaps - but can be colder at night - for parts of FL or gulf coast or perhaps SC coast. (Although these areas can get ice storms at times).

What temps do you want - and how much risk are you willing to take?

And - what kind of activities are you looking for?

Wannawander Oct 25th, 2012 05:25 PM

I love the islands off the Georgia coast. Jekyll Island, St. Simon's or Sea Island. They are all beautiful. Jekyll is probably best for a family with young kids, since it is most affordable and has more kid-friendly attractions.

The SC coast would be a close runner up. You can stay somewhere like Pawley's Island and take daytrips to Myrtle Beach (for shopping, the aquarium, amusement park, etc) or Charleston (for actual southern culture).

These places are likely to be warm, though anywhere you go, you can hit a patch of bad weather. That is the nature of travel.

Cranachin Oct 25th, 2012 06:27 PM

Daytime temps might be low 70s along the northern Gulf Coast (or they might be 40). You never know from year to year, although 50s/60s during the day are most likely. Ice storms are rare but not unknown in December.

Just keep in mind that you won't be going in the ocean in places like the upper Gulf Coast or the GA/SC coast (unless you are from somewhere like Maine!).

NewbE Oct 25th, 2012 06:37 PM

zwho, that box you refer to exists for a reason. Do the research and you'll see that the places mentioned above may well be warmish, or they may be cold, or somewhere in between. Even Central Florida can get a cold snap in December, so for guaranteed warmth, south of Sarasota on the Gulf side is your best bet. (Can't comment on SoCal.) Good luck!

InSandy Oct 25th, 2012 08:57 PM

Phoenix/Scottsdale
Houston (where my friends would turn on the air conditioning so they could have a fire for Christmas).

I've had gorgeous weather at Page AZ in January
I'm planning on Monument Valley this coming Jan. Yes it can snow, but chances are it won't.
Sedona. Snow is possible, but again unlikely.

Dukey1 Oct 26th, 2012 02:54 AM

Look, get REAL. SOUTH Florida and that is NOT Orlando is going to be better in terms of so-called guarantees than central Florida or north.

If you want to be certain of really NICE and warm go to Puerto Rico or the VI or nearby since you say NOT Florida; otherwise try Key West

tomfuller Oct 26th, 2012 06:45 AM

Tucson Arizona and Corpus Christi Texas come to mind.

NewbE Oct 26th, 2012 07:04 AM

Phoenix, maybe, but we lived south of Tucson and it was always super cold at Christmas; it's higher elevation than Phoenix.

Marginal Oct 26th, 2012 07:12 AM

Hawaii

cd Oct 26th, 2012 08:53 AM

We spent the last 4 winters in the Florida panhandle and the majority of the time was 50's-60's. Jacket weather. I agree with the above, for guaranteed warm you need to go south Florida or Puerto Rico or St. Croix, USVI or Hawaii. If you want to take a chance, The panhandle has beautiful beaches to walk on, south of Houston to Port Aransas for the beach in Texas. Our son lives in Houston and sometimes they have a cold snap at that time, you just don't know.

JoJoSiestaKey Oct 26th, 2012 09:50 AM

In Georgia/South Carolina it could be Zero degrees or 80 over the holidays. I've experienced both.

jubilada Oct 26th, 2012 11:33 AM

just be aware that it snowed in Tuscon on Valentine's Day last winter. very rare, but it happened.

emalloy Oct 26th, 2012 12:17 PM

Hawaii??

Nelson Oct 26th, 2012 12:33 PM

San Antonio?
http://www.weather2travel.com/climat...antonio-tx.php

bamafam Oct 26th, 2012 02:08 PM

Have you considered New Orleans? Daytime temps rarely drop below the high 50s or low 60s there. I also think Charleston is a good suggestion.