Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Warm winter retreat in USA (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/warm-winter-retreat-in-usa-426831/)

giannetta Sep 4th, 2008 08:32 AM

Warm winter retreat in USA

We live in Boston and have family in the SF Bay area - also grew up in SF so we know the weather there. We would like to get out of the east from Dec - April to be in a place that is warm, not too far from SF (drivable in 1 - 2 days) and has a few things other than the weather to recommend it.
Any and all ideas are welcome.
Thanks,
Giannetta

milemarker0 Sep 4th, 2008 09:03 AM

San Diego...?

elnap29 Sep 4th, 2008 01:23 PM

You'd have to go South. LA area is mild. And San Diego as mentioned.

We usually head to Southern Utah in March or April - nice and warm in Zion and Bryce National Parks.

RBCal Sep 4th, 2008 01:54 PM

Warm is relative. I don't think of SD as warm. The only places with swimmable weather in Dec. and Jan. would be south FL or the Southern CA desert (i.e. Palm Springs).

dmlove Sep 4th, 2008 02:34 PM

The average daytime temperature in Palm Springs in December-January is about 68-70 degrees F. Personally, I consider that jacket weather, not swimming weather.

MBnancy Sep 4th, 2008 02:47 PM

Lots of snowbirds love the SoCal desert in Jan, Feb and March. Check out VRBO.com for rentals in Palm Desert, Rancho Mirage or LaQuinta areas. Many choices of condos or houses.

We're out there every month or two, year round, and love it in the winter.

SAnParis2 Sep 4th, 2008 03:09 PM

San Diego IS your option.

razzledazzle Sep 4th, 2008 03:36 PM

<i>(drivable 1-2 days)</i>

Tucson !
((H))

R5

jolipka Jan 13th, 2009 06:59 PM

The perfect answer to your research is Rancho Mirage. It is eight hours from San Francisco. The weather today (January 13) is in the eighties in the afternoon. Goes down into the 40's in the evening at bedtime. There is loads to do. January is when they have the Palm Springs Film Festival and many stars come to town to receive their awards. Tickets are available to attend the event or wait outside to see the stars arrive on the red carpet. Every thursday and all weekend their are street fairs to attend. Then there is the fabulous follies to attend or go the Hotel Zuzo for their show. Just loads to do. Then there is always golf and tennis. There is a great condo in Rancho Mirage that whose kitchen is well stocked and luxuriously confortable to stay at.

Good luck and have a good time.

Jo

stricky Feb 3rd, 2009 05:11 PM

I just came back from La Jolla where I rented a comfortable 4 BR house (with pool) in the beach community. It's a very relaxing environment and the weather is terrific there. I found the house on VRBO - if you're interested, you can contact me by email.

latraveljunkey Feb 9th, 2009 01:19 PM

I recommend Palm Springs as well. The weather is fabulous. There are tons of great places to stay which you can easily book off a place like usdestinationguide.com. You can golf, lounge, drink, tan, see the Follies, tour The Coachella Valley. Everything is really beautiful and ideal for a nice, relaxing get away.