Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Warm clothes for Hawaii? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/warm-clothes-for-hawaii-276051/)

Debbie Nov 26th, 2002 10:30 AM

Warm clothes for Hawaii?

We are leaving for Big Island, Kauai and Oahu in three days. <BR>Do we need any warm jackets, raincoat or windbreakers?<BR>We will be there for two weeks.<BR><BR>The most essential things to bring to Hawaii with you were....? Please list them

kal Nov 26th, 2002 10:44 AM

Debbie, Suntan lotion!!! Nothing lower than spf 30. Take it from the scarred voice of experience!<BR><BR>We usually take over a light water resistant windbreaker (waterproof fleece has worked for me the past few trips) and Mrs Kal has been known to take along 1-2 (translation 4-5) long sleeve t-shirts for sitting around the pool bar at night or going to restaurants for dinner.<BR><BR>You must also bring along a sense of adventure, respect and your good spirits!<BR>Mucho mahalos,<BR>Kal<BR>

Suzie Nov 26th, 2002 11:24 AM

Just got back from Maui on Friday night. When we left Maui on Friday around 3:00 it was blazing hot! My DD was hilarious when she said she could never live there because it's so hot. Guess she forgot about the summer that just passed in the Sac Valley!!!!<BR><BR>We wore sleeveless the entire time, day and night. I did have a cotton sweater I used on the plane and at the airport in CA. Never used it in Hawaii. Just for the record, Thursday November 21st was the most perfect weather I have ever had in Maui, morning to night. Just amazing right past the sunset.<BR><BR>We used:<BR><BR>Snorkel gear<BR>Sunscreen<BR>Hat<BR>Our own towels for far off beaches (hotel towels are good for pool but not sturdy for the beach)<BR>Could have used our ice chest which we brought to Kauai last Sept.<BR>Sunglasses<BR><BR>Have a great time Debbie!

inchy Nov 26th, 2002 01:43 PM

No heavy stuff EXCEPT if you plan to go see the Volcano Park on the big island. It is pretty cool there because of the altitude I guess. I wore light pants, Tshirt and a light fleece zip up. But then if you go down to see the lava, it's hot again. I would bring a light windbreaker instead if I were to do it again.<BR>Other than that, it's pretty hot.<BR>Most important in Hawaii: (aside from the obvious)<BR>Sunscreen (burns are a sure thing)I use SPF 15 to tan there.<BR>Lip Balm (with sunscreen)<BR>Hair ties<BR>Beach Towels<BR>Flip flops<BR>Snorkel gear<BR>Beach bag or similar tote to carry your towels, drinks, etc.<BR>Hat with brim (I bought a Hawaii hat at ABC store for $7.00 - still my favorite).<BR>A light overshirt for when you've had too much sun.<BR><BR><BR>

jj Nov 26th, 2002 02:40 PM

I only brought summer clothes when I was in Hawaii, and I ended up having to buy a light zip-up sweatshirt jacket at Crazy Shirts.<BR><BR>I got cold when:<BR>a. I was in Air conditioned buildings.<BR>b. Drinking lots of Chi-Chis.

KT Nov 26th, 2002 02:51 PM

I've needed a sweatshirt at the higher elevations above the Waimea Canyon on Kauai. It can get foggy and drizzly up there.

Debbie Nov 26th, 2002 03:29 PM

Thank you all for a great packing list.<BR><BR>One more question:<BR>Should we bring our hiking boots? We are planning to hike on Kauai and Big Island.

kal Nov 26th, 2002 03:49 PM

Alooohaaaa,<BR>I bought some Teva Vector's last year and Mrs Kal bought some Chaco's with a large lug sole for our hikes up the NaPali and Sleeping Giant, etc and they were fine. Plus since they are sandals it saved us some packing room with a <BR>&quot;2-fer&quot;.<BR><BR>But if you need ankle support you may wish to get some boots. All in all, not really needed on Kauai unless you go right after a very common rain as it gets slick. But then even a boot may not help! We've seen hikers wearing everything from bare feet to Polo tennies!<BR>Good luck and have funnnn!<BR>Kal <BR>33.5!