Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

WANTED: your suggestions- Maui lodging, not big hotels

Apr 27th, 2006, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

We are going to Maui in early October 2006. We do not like to stay in large and impersonal places to stay, preferring charm over all the pros [and cons] of larger hotels. We thought of taking advantage of a timeshare promotion we saw on here, but are having second thoughts about doing that.

We really would like to rent a cottage, condo or stay in a B & B. We like the idea of having a kitchen to use for times we don't want to go out to eat. While it doesn't have to be ON the beach, that would be a bonus. We will be renting a car, so that shouldn't be too much of a deal breaker.

Areas we are considering are: Kaamapalli, Napilli Bay, Kihei but are open to other areas where you may have had good experiences.

So, please, share with us those secret places you've stayed...and we won't tell a soul

Debi
Apr 27th, 2006, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

I don't know if its me or the site. It says there are 2 responses to my posting but I can't see them! Can you?

I have been having trouble all day with Fodor's site..."page not found" message when I try to post reply or "time outs" Anyone else?
Apr 27th, 2006, 12:30 PM

condo! Our preference is south Maui (south Kihei and beyond, not north or right in the middle). We love the freedom to come and go as we please, eat and drink what/when we want (so much less $$, too), the comfort of spreading out, being able to throw my clothes in the laundry, the privacy, the (usual) lack of people at the pools, the outdoor grills (every one we ever stayed at), etc. Take my cocktail to the beach for the sunset every night! There are many, for example, right across the street from Kamaole Beach, not too much $$: Kamaole Sands, Maui Kamaole; on the beach: Kihei Surfside; then move to Wailea for more $$.
Apr 27th, 2006, 02:59 PM

We enjoyed our stay at Kihei Surfside, #604. EXCELLENT view and loved the location. Recently wrote about it in (unfinished) trip report entitled "Mahalo Maui."

Link to condo:
http://tinyurl.com/mjagv
Apr 27th, 2006, 07:56 PM

We have stayed twice now at the Noelani north of Lahaina. We got #116 which is a studio deluxe about 100 feet or maybe 200 feet from the ocean. I am not a good judge of distance. Anyway we love it.
Apr 27th, 2006, 08:23 PM
trippinkpj

B&B's in the Upcountry area are great. Haiku, Kula. Makawao are great spots. I've stayed at the Tropohouse in Haiku. Rustic but clean. I think there are also well rated B&Bs in the Kihei/ Wailea area. check on tripadvisor.com also.

Apr 27th, 2006, 08:45 PM

We loved the Hale Kai - www.halekai.com. I think there are only about 40 units and they're right next to the water. There were laundry fascilities and the salt water pool was super-clean; cleaned every nigh, in fact. There is a gas grill down by the pool. They don't have a beach - they have a little sea wall. But the park right next to them has a beach. It was heavenly.
Apr 27th, 2006, 10:55 PM

Hi again
I'll second Noelani, it's great, have stayed there twice (dlx studio units). No a/c but at the times we stayed that didn't matter (Late May and mid October).

Other favourite is Maui Kai, especially #402 see www.paradiseinmaui.com , have stayed there twice too, nice (studio) unit and owners easy to deal with.
Have a great trip.
Apr 28th, 2006, 06:59 AM

Also recommend Kihei Surfside. Loved the quiet and location. In August we're trying the Maui Sunset, because even tho we loved Surfside, there was no A/C and we found we could have used a touch in the afternoon. Maui Sunset does have A/C and W/D in the unit, instead of having to use common area. http://www.vrbo.com/17278
Owner has been great to work with, quick responses to emails, etc.
Apr 28th, 2006, 07:41 AM

You might also want to check out the Hale Hui Kai which is a bit south of the Kihei Surfside. It's the last condo on Keawakapu Beach before Wailea.

http://www.halehuikaimaui.com/

We spent 2 1/2 weeks in one of the ocean front units and it was pure heaven!

Kim
Apr 28th, 2006, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

I am checking out all of your suggestions..thanks and KEEP 'EM COMING!!
Apr 30th, 2006, 06:45 AM

Aloha, Debi

We stayed in a cottage type unit just outside of the town of Paia on the north shore. LOVED IT!!! So close to all the beauty & splendor of upcountry...a really lovely, non-touristy area. We enjoyed Paia town, lots of good eats, an awesome health food store, and tons of shops.

The place itself was dreamy. Very simple, natural architecture & decor. Clean. Ocean views, or ocean front, salt-purified swimming pool, plumeria trees, outdoor shower, short walk to the beach, close to Hookipa and Mama's Fish House. We saw rainbows (doubles & moonbows!) and whales almost daily. The caretaker was very friendly and helpful.

The property is called Kilohana and has 4 lovely units. We stayed in the oceanview cottage, which I thought was the nicest. My folks stayed in the oceanfront which was also nice.

More info & pics:

http://www.donnachameleon.com/kilohanaOF.html

Apr 30th, 2006, 07:15 AM

There are several interesting looking rentals in Makena.

-Bill
Apr 30th, 2006, 07:44 AM

If you are into being near a beach, save the (fabulous, but very different) upcountry for another visit. Be sure to check it our for your next time while you're visiting, though. The desire for a kitchen (very sensible) and proximity to water pretty much puts you into condo territory.
Apr 30th, 2006, 10:08 AM

Last June, we stayed at the Kamaole Sands in Kihei. It's across from the Kamaole Sands beach park. We had a nice fully furnished unit, that was primarily owner occupied (full kitchen, w/d, AC, two full bathrooms, on site BBQ's). There was a unit guest book to sign! The grounds were gorgeous. Very affordable for the little $$ we spent to be away from the big resorts. The drive is scenic too!
Apr 30th, 2006, 08:32 PM

Kanapali Ali'i would be a good one.
Apr 30th, 2006, 09:18 PM
trippinkpj

Back in the 90's, the DH and I stayed at the Pioneer Inn in Lahaina. It was great to be close to the action, and not as noisy as I was concerned it could be. It's now a BestWestern and rated well on TripAdvisor. See below:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...ui_Hawaii.html
The rates seem to run around $120 to 125.- a night in September.

Apr 30th, 2006, 09:24 PM
trippinkpj

Oh, they have mini fridges but not kitchens.

May 5th, 2006, 07:56 AM

In Kihei, check out Koa Lagoon www.koalagoon.com At the time you're going they still are on off season rates. We stayed there in 2001 and loved it!