Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

wanted: cool summer trip in July in US for pregnant woman

Mar 24th, 2007, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

I can't believe I'm typing this, but I am the pregnant woman. I will be about 4.5 months pregnant in July, and I live in Florida. We would love to go someplace COOL for a week or so. We like the outdoors, definitely don't want a big city. I love hiking but doubt I'll be doing much of that, but beautiful scenery would definitely be a plus. We just want to hang out, take walks, maybe some cute shopping ... but mainly relax at a COOL location.

Any advice? We will likely try to use our airline points (we have free flights on AA, United, US Air, and Frontier) and free hotel nights (Hilton). But even if we have to pay, that's OK.

Thank you in advance!
Mar 24th, 2007, 09:54 AM

I don't know about COOL, as in chilly, but milder destinations would be the North Georgia Mountains, such as Blue Ridge (try a cabin rental at www.blackbearcabinrentals.com).
You could also try areas outside of Seattle such as Port Townsend, Lake Crescent (absolutly stunning and a great outdoors destination) and the San Juan Islands.
The California coast above San Francisco would also be a good place.
Although the daytime can get warmer, the mornings and evenings are cool enough to require a sweater or jacket.
Mar 24th, 2007, 10:05 AM

Northern CA or Oregon coast would be good, also the Seattle/ Puget Sound area. I think a Monterey/ Carmel trip combined with San Francisco would give you what you are looking for. You could fly into SJC (San Jose which may be hot in July), renting a car to spend 1/2 time in Monterey/ Carmel area and the other 1/2 in San Francisco. Those two areas are on the coast and should be pleasant.
Mar 24th, 2007, 10:08 AM
TheWeasel

Frontier's main (only?) hub is Denver. That would give you access to a bunch of destinations in the CO mountains.

Mar 24th, 2007, 10:10 AM

Does it have to be in the U.S.? What about the Canadian Rockies? We spent a fabulous week on Lake Louise, for example. My companion was recovering from leg surgery, and we found there were many ways to enjoy the beautiful scenery of the area without hiking (e.g. roadside turnoffs in the park, ski lifts, etc.) The scenery in this region is absolutely stunning. Banff and Japer are other possible bases.
Mar 24th, 2007, 10:24 AM

Alaska cruise, out of Seattle or Vancouver. Unpack once, all inclusive, price competitive with hotels+meals+ car rental, interesting excursions, day walks/hikes if you're up for it, 24hr room service...
Mar 24th, 2007, 10:29 AM

Oh, I just saw your "definately don't want a big city". Then forget San Francisco, and still fly into San Jose and drive the 1 1/2 hours to Monterey area.
Mar 24th, 2007, 11:11 AM

I would like to recommend Colorado. We were in Vail last 4th of July and it was lovely. We stayed in Vail Village and thought it was fantastic. Shops, restaurants, gorgeous mountains of Colorado and the best weather we've found anywhere in the summer.
Mar 24th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! We would like to keep air travel down to less than 5 hours, and thus Alaska is out for me. (And a cruise would be too expensive for us, but it sounds wonderful.) All of our air tickets are only good for the US, so Canada is out. I really appreciate all the suggestions, and would appreciate any others that you have!
Mar 24th, 2007, 01:26 PM

Since Vail is at 8,150 ft., I wondered about high altitude and pregnancy and found this link:
http://www.bodyresults.com/E2pregnantalt.asp
It probably isn't an issue at 8,000 feet, though still worth looking into.
Mar 24th, 2007, 01:46 PM
sistahlou

Bar Harbor - Acadia National Park - Maine

Mar 24th, 2007, 02:03 PM

Not trying to be argumentative, but there are numerous Seattle-based or Vancouver-based 7-day round trip Alaska cruises for ca. $1000 per person (outside cabin, a bit more for a veranda.) That includes room, food, entertainment, and of course transportation and sightseeing.

It's not hard to get to $2000+ for a week on a land-based holiday, counting hotels, rental car and fuel, and meals.

Seattle's a bit farther than 5 hours from Florida, but under 6 on most routes. If you wanted to sail from Vancouver BC instead, the train is about $30 per person, so not a deal-breaker.
Mar 24th, 2007, 03:55 PM

Yes and another vote for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park (and congratulations). You can use your US Air miles to Bangor (BGR) and rent a car to Bar Harbor (1 1/4 hrs). There is a Hilton in Bar Harbor. On the water will definitely guarantee cool breezes. You may consider renting a cottage - meal prep options can be nice for a longer stay and there are other parts of Mount Desert Island like Bass Harbor. There will be easy hikes, natural beauty, leisurely strolls - and birding. Have a great vacation.
Mar 24th, 2007, 04:10 PM

Agree that Maine is one of your best bets. No guarantees on temps - but it is rarely really hot - esp on the coast. And there's tons to see/do, along with as much easy walking as you want and lots of discount shopping.

Bar Harbor is adorable, Acadia beautiful - and lots of opportunities for day trips.
Mar 24th, 2007, 04:34 PM

For an area that is within a 5 hour flight, I would recommend Asheville/Boone/Blowing Rock NC. My husband and I went to Grandfather Mountain and stayed the night in a B and B one July and the weather on the mountain was awesome. Asheville is a city but not a big one. The big draw is the Biltmore House and Gardens, but I have heard that the city itself is really neat and filled with culture. I was pregnant last year and I was pretty sensitive to heat, so the Biltmore could be too warm since I don't think it has AC. But I will say that the mountain areas are stunning and get cool depending on the elevation. Good luck on the baby, motherhood is amazing!
Mar 24th, 2007, 06:24 PM

Can you clarify that your needs are restricted to the U.S. only/mainly for reasons of airline points restrictions?

I'm wondering if perhaps you might do well to fly to someplace up near the Canadian border and then drive into Canada, perhaps to the aforementioned Canadian Rockies, where it really should be cool enough for you.

You could shop around for the most suitable scheduling and airlines to get you someplace near, while having many options given no need to land in any particular spot in the U.S.

I can (only) imagine what Florida is like in July, and while the rest of the U.S. could be quite warm just about anywhere, the Canadian Rockies are sure to be suitable to the "cool" stipulation.

Besides, with a little one on the way, when will you next get a chance to travel to such an impressive natural area so far from home?

P.S. - It is quite OK that you have sought advice from this board (believe it)

Mar 24th, 2007, 07:18 PM

The San Diego area!
Mar 24th, 2007, 07:35 PM

Asheville, NC - or Boone or Banner Elk. Look into Hampton Inns with your Hilton points.
Mar 24th, 2007, 07:42 PM

San Diego is a good one also. And if you are on the coast or bay, the weather is usually mild in July. Also La Jolla, Cocronado and Del Mar are good areas close by. Tahititams lives there (I think) and she may pipe in.
www.sandiego.org
Mar 25th, 2007, 04:57 AM

hi birder. another vote for maine. bar harbor is a quaint new england coast town and has good shopping and restaurants. my suggestion, however, is to fly into bangor and go west to the greenville/moosehead lake. about the same drive time as to bar harbor - greenville is a small town with several good restaurants a huge, gorgeous lake, a little shopping and some very nice hiking that i'm sure you could manage at 4.5 months. or perhaps if time allows you could spend a few days in each.
if you choose bar harbor be sure to look at the bar harbor inn.
for either you may need to book rooms asap. july is very popular in maine.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO