Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Want to combine Nascar event with regular vacation plans- where to go? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/want-to-combine-nascar-event-with-regular-vacation-plans-where-to-go-594238/)

HotWheels Feb 25th, 2006 12:49 PM

Want to combine Nascar event with regular vacation plans- where to go?

We like to combine vacation travel with a combination of sightseeing,local culture/
history,regional cuisine and...Nascar events!
We greatly enjoyed the combination in visiting NC/SC for two weeks last May; also have done so with Las Vegas. Any suggestions for our race-related trip, whether weekend get-away or longer adventure?

AnnMarie_C Feb 25th, 2006 01:16 PM

Although I haven't been have heard from friends that Daytona is a lot of fun. We have been to Dover and Talladega--Dover is close to the Delaware beaches but not sure that's what you're looking for. Not sure what all there is to do in Birmingham (Talladega) since we didn't spend any time there. The drive to the track is beautiful. The International Motorsports Hall of Fame and Museum, located adjacent to the track, is fantastic.

MerryTravel Feb 25th, 2006 01:41 PM

I grew up very close to Michigan International Speedway, and if you're willing to drive a bit there's a lot to do. Ann Arbor is a beautiful town, and Greenfield Village in Detroit is worth a visit, too. A week after the August race in Jackson itself is a pretty big Civil War muster. There are probably better options around other tracks, but just to let you know the options.

vegasnative Feb 25th, 2006 04:19 PM

I would second Daytona. First, you are a Nascar fan and never been to Daytona then you need to go just to see the track in person. We were in Orlando Dec. 04 and we drove out to Daytona just to look. Plus, you can always find things to do in Florida!!
signed, a #38 fan...go Sadler!!!

vegasnative Feb 25th, 2006 04:22 PM

Hotwheels, that should say "if" you are a fan and have never been...wasn't implying that you had never been.
just more of my two cents...come back to Vegas, we love Nascar fans here!! single day tickets are sold out for Sunday, have to buy the weekend package (oh what a shame :) )

rkkwan Feb 25th, 2006 09:00 PM

I think the prettiest areas NASCAR Nextel Cup visit are Watkins Glen, New Hampshire, and Infineon. But yeah, they're outside the traditional NASCAR domain of SE USA.

HotWheels Feb 26th, 2006 07:51 AM

vegasnative - We WILL be back - in fact, we were just there the end of January for business (too bad the race wasn't then!) #88 fan...go Jarrett!!!

AnnMarie_C Feb 26th, 2006 08:00 AM

I love Jarrett, too! My brother has met him a few times while working the track at Dover and said he is the NICEST guy! But will he ever race the truck?!? ;-)

HotWheels Feb 26th, 2006 08:17 AM

AnnMarie C - Haven't you heard? (From the commercials) He's changed his mind & WILL race the truck! LOL! Seriously, I think he'll race trucks (like Mark Martin) when he wants to start slowing down his race schedule. On another note...my sister-in-law is from down the road in Smyrna, DE; we visited Dover Speedway & got to see cars testing (including #3!).

AnnMarie_C Feb 26th, 2006 08:38 AM

I am always the last to know! Seriously, that is way cool. The first time we went to Talladega (1999) #3 won; the second time (2001) it was Junior. Music to my ears hearing the cars race on that track! Would love to know what you decide!

Cher Feb 26th, 2006 12:43 PM

Phoenix -- Then you can plan a vacation around areas to visit in Arizona.

HotWheels Apr 22nd, 2006 12:58 PM

I'm considering Bristol TN, Atlanta, GA or Martinsville, VA for this Fall's trip. Any suggestions on what area to visit along the way?

xrae Apr 22nd, 2006 03:50 PM

Where are you coming from, Hot Wheels? What's between you and Martinsville, Bristol, and Atlanta?

As you probably know, Bristol night race tickets are notoriously difficult to get, but they are always for sale either on eBay or other ticket boards, or at the speedway on race weekend. It just depends on how much you want to spend.

Of the three places you listed, Martinsville probably has the fewest nearby attractions, natural or otherwise. But it's in a beautiful area of the state. If you're not camping, then there may be hotels available in Roanoke on race weekend. But the track is near the Blue Ridge Parkway, which means sightseeing and the possibility of hiking, if that's your thing.

If you want an *experience*, rent a motorhome and stay at Bristol for the week leading up to the race. Stay at the Earhart Campground across from the track and look for Art and Bubba. You will be entertained for days. Bristol's within two hours of both Asheville and the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, and there are other great things to see and do in the immediate Tri-Cities area.

Tickets to Atlanta are easy to get and they can be inexpensive depending on where you prefer to sit at the track. Atlanta has a lot to offer tourists, being a major city.

In addition to what's been previously mentioned, there's Homestead-Miami Speedway with the Everglades and the Keys and Miami itself. Or California Speedway, which is about 60 miles from the LA area. The Mother's Day weekend race at Darlington can be combined with a trip to the Myrtle Beach area. Or there's the race at Infineon Raceway in the Napa Valley.

mrsd2fan Apr 23rd, 2006 05:50 AM

We used to go to the fall and spring races of Martinsville and Loudon (New Hampshire) have always wanted to go to Bristol. The New Hampshire track is a beautiful area, lakes and mountains w/in driving distance. The race itself, to me was pretty boring..alot of "follow the leader", but like I said, the area is breathtakingly beautiful. Martinsville area is near the Blue Ridge Mountains so yu may want to research what there is to do in the area. We go to Talladega every year for the fall race. We stay just south of Birmingham at Oak Mountain State Park. They have fully furnished cabins, and they also have a campground area. The park is beautiful. alapark.com

HotWheels Apr 30th, 2006 07:41 AM

Xrae - For most races, we'd fly in from Minneapolis, rent a car & stay within the general area. We're considering doing both Charlotte & Martinsville in the Fall trip (take 2 wks). When possible, we try to avoid heavy city traffic, but generally like driving.
Concerning Bristol tickets - I know they're hard to get, but are all seats generally good? What do you look for to avoid getting ripped off? We've found a reputable ticket/rooms package - just deciding if it's worth the price!
mrsd2fan - Talladega is also on my future list; thanks for the info! I've heard traffic is terrible around Atlanta- any comments?

corwin Apr 30th, 2006 11:19 AM

what about the nascar racetrack in new hampshire -- is it seabrook, or hampton falls?
corwin

mrsd2fan Apr 30th, 2006 02:32 PM

The track in NH is in Loudon.
As far as traffic in Atlanta..yes, the traffic can be awful!,however, the track is in Hampton9I think that's the name of the town) which is about 30 minutes south of Atlanta, so if you were to stay somewhere, I'd stay in McDonough or Conyers and take the back way to the track. We went to one race at Atlanta when we moved here and thought it was a pretty boring race, also.Just my opinion.

mrsd2fan Apr 30th, 2006 02:35 PM

You really must go to Talladega...great track and great race..

xrae Apr 30th, 2006 03:25 PM

Neither Talladega nor Daytona are my idea of a great race or a great track. But then my favorite tracks are Bristol, Martinsville, and Darlington. Give me a short track over a superspeedway any time.

HotWheels -- Bristol Speedway officials told me last year they had more problems with counterfeit truck series tickets than anything else, strangely enough. If you're buying from someone in person, I was told to make sure the tickets have a hologram on them. There are plenty of tickets available on eBay or at the track the week of the race (not from the ticket office, but from individuals in the campground). I haven't sat in every seat at Bristol ;) but word is that there are no bad seats. Low seats, high seats, they're all good. Our seats are high above Turn 2 and they are wonderful.

A Charlotte to Martinsville trip would be great! There is so much to do around the Charlotte area -- you can take one or two days and tour race shops. There is the Reed Gold Mine near the speedway, which I belive was the first place gold was discovered in the Eastern US. You can visit the mountains of NC, Winston-Salem, drive up the Blue Ridge Parkway.

mrsd2fan May 1st, 2006 04:11 AM

I love the superspeedways..the thrill of the speeds is wonderful! I loved Martinsville, don't get me wrong, I LOVE short track racing...used to watch the supermodifieds in Oswego, so my heart is with the short tracks.
And I agree about Charlotte..you can go to the team garages for a little look see and the Charlotte area is very nice.