Reload this Page >

Want Four-Star Small Waikiki Hotel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 07:56 PM
R.Parker

Please help. I've spent more than eight hours on-line and reading Frommer's Honolulu Guide looking for the best place to stay near Waikiki. I'd like a small four-star hotel with charm but have not found one. I stayed at the Hilton Village last year, beautiful but too big.

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 09:16 PM
Jeff

THe Royal Hawaiian and the Sheraton Moana Surfirder are both much smaller than the HHV.

Don't know if it's 4-star but the New Otani Kaimana may fit the bill.
Right near it is also the Diamond Head Beach Hotel and the Colony Surf, these are all relatively small and in a far quieter area. (at the foot of Diamond Head)

If you don't have to be right on the beach, then perhaps one of the 'boutique hotels' would be for you.

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 09:25 PM
lcuy

I'd second the Kaimana New Ohtani, as it is right on a nice beach in kapiolani park.

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 05:55 AM
R.Parker

Thanks for your help.....I did read last night on another post that the New Otani did not designate between smoking and non-smoking rooms. Do you know if this is true? I'm taking my sister on this trip, non-smoking is critical for her.

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 06:05 AM
Jeff

Afraid so. I just asked the New Otani about that a few weeks ago and was told that there are no designated non-smoking rooms but that they ventilate the rooms well between occupants.

I also loathe and detest cigarette smoke and you should probably keep in mind what I saw in a different past post here- that the N.O. is Japanese and they smoke a lot.

Look into Diamond Head Beach hotel or Colony Surf, both in the same area.

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 07:54 AM
Sarah

The Ocean front rooms at the Colony surf are breath-taking just make sure they are ocean front. The new name and ownership of this hotel is the W hotel. I am not sure if the W hotel is a four store but I wonder if you will care once you get a gander at the view. Looks like the wall opens up onto the water, like you are on a ship at sea. Friend owned a condo here, incredible but must have Ocean front.

I love the Sheraton Moana, some posters will only book ocean front rooms. I did not have a problem with noise at city view but requested a double bed (Queen size, corner room, spacious and comfortable. The staff there is wonderfully accommodating.

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 08:23 AM
scigirl

You may want to consider the 'W' hotel. It is at the opposite end of Waikiki from HHV. I think it has only 19 rooms - very small, very nice, happening restaurant and bar scene. Quite area bordered by residential streets - but within walking distance of Waikiki, parks, on the ocean, etc.

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 08:25 AM
sss

Are you sure about the 19 rooms sci girl because it is about 15-20 floors high, I thought.

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 11:06 AM
Melissa

I second the W......it's very chic and a smallish hotel.

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 03:09 PM
bob

how about the waikiki parc? it is behind and is the sister hotel to the halekulani. i have not been there but i understand it is very nice and quiet. they have a great deal "parc sunrise" a deluxe ov room, with breakfast for 2 and a rental car with free parking for 203 a night. i am going in april and was going to stay there but i decided to stay at the kahala mandarin outside of waikiki instead. good luck

Old Jan 29th, 2002, 03:04 AM
Jeff

I had forgotten that the Colony Surf became the 'W'. (Starwood)

Can't wait to book there...as soon as I hit the lotto jackpot!

Old Jan 29th, 2002, 03:06 AM
Jeff

By the way, the oceanviews from the Diamond Head Beach Hotel are also quite spectacular and you can get one for around 150-160 a night w/ the Entertainment card (possibly less off-season)