Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Walt Disney World with a 19 Month Old Child this April

Sep 17th, 1999, 08:07 AM
p thompson

According to a representative of Walt Disney World there are activities/rides that my daughter will be able to enjooy and participate in. Has anyone taken their infant to Disney and if so were there enough activities for you to participate in at the different parks?

Any suggestions on hotels that may cater to young children would also be appreciated.

Your feedback would be appreciated.

Sep 17th, 1999, 08:29 AM
ilisa

Actually, there are quite a lot of activities for young children to participate in. The MK and Animal Kingdom have sections designed especially for young children. My first visit to WDW was when I was two, and I apparently loved every minute of it, so don't let anyone tell you that you have no business taking an infant there. The key to your trip is flexibility. You know your child best, so you can adapt to her needs. Don't try to cram too much into one day. Make sure you schedule nap and pool time. If your child is afraid of something (i.e. characters), or scared of a ride, don't force her to do it. Your best bet would be to stay at a budget resort (the All Star resorts) or moderate, such as Port Orleans or Carribean Beach, though all resorts are child friendly, even the Grand Floridian. This is Disney, after all. Have a great time!

Sep 17th, 1999, 09:43 AM
Diane

One of our best Disney trips (well maybe because it was our first with our first!) was with our daughter when she was about that age. The Magic Kingdom has wonderful rides for little ones, like the flying Dumbos, Peter Pan, even the Haunted House! (You will easily see which attractions won't work -- like the coasters.) She'll probably also get a kick out of the Bird Room (autoanimtronic parrots, put on a funny show with songs,etc.) and maybe some of the other shows (Do they still have Country Jamboree?) if she likes singing and laughing. My daughter loved the characters. Two of my favorite photos showed her with the characters Chip n' Dale, and Goofy. Hopefully you won't be there during Easter vacation week -- standing in endless lines is awfully hard for toddlers. I hope you end up with as many wonderful memories as we've got. (And my daughter is now 21 years old!)

Sep 17th, 1999, 09:49 AM
ilisa

Country Bear Jamboree is still there! Also, a new Winnie the Pooh ride just opened. Oh, regarding the Dumbo ride, that is considered the most popular ride for children, and the lines get really long. You may want to consider heading to that first thing. Going back next month and can't wait!

Sep 17th, 1999, 12:09 PM
doug

I wasn't sold on going to Disney when my son was 17 months old. I thought it would be a waste of time/money, but my wife won the argument. I'm glad she did. We only stayed a couple of days, but we all had a good time. We stayed at the All-Star resorts - inexpensive but very functional for families - but service can be unbelievably slow (getting a crib, checking out).

Definitely head straight for Dumbo when the park opens. The line gets long in a hurry and the little ones really like it. My son also liked driving the cars near the entrance to ToonTown (okay, I actually drove).

He was afraid to get close to characters, but loved seeing them, even if he didn't know them. A character breakfast is another must do.

The smiles on his face was the best part of the trip.