Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Walt Disney World (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/walt-disney-world-602285/)

z3fan123 Mar 25th, 2006 11:49 AM

Walt Disney World

I noticed that the Animal Kingdom lodge is one of the resorts that does not have a Beach area. Is this a big deal? Can guests snorkel in the beach area? Also, is upgading to a savannah view worth the money? Thanks!

ajcolorado Mar 25th, 2006 08:01 PM

No - you can't swim in any of the lake areas. Swimming is restricted to pools or waterparks. You can rent kayaks, canoes, and motorized boats to use on the channels & lakes. Orlando is in the center of the state so the beaches are on man-made lakes.

z3fan123 Mar 28th, 2006 11:21 AM

Are 3 yr olds allowed on the watercrafts? Thanks!

z3fan123 Mar 28th, 2006 10:20 PM

Also, what do you think about the upgrade...is it worth the price to get a savannah view? Thanks!

padams421 Mar 29th, 2006 03:23 AM

IMHO, the reason to stay at the AKL is to see the animals from your room. I say either go for the savannah view, or stay elsewhere. AKL is the farthest resort from the parks, except for AK.

cjindc Mar 31st, 2006 09:20 PM

I agree > get a savanagh room and ideally the top floor. Overlooking the AK pool is VERY NOISY, while seeing the giraffes and zebras eat early in the morning or evening from your balcony is wonderful! Make sure you schedule your time for one of the nights AK is open late, so you can just walk back for an afternoon break and then go back in just minutes. If you decide not to stay at AK, look for on site resort access to the other parks you are interested in.

jcepk1 Apr 10th, 2006 06:43 PM

As a frequent visitor to Disney and many Disney related sites, you will often hear of people receiving upgrades to the Savannah rooms. I wasn't sure if this was really true until it happened to us awhile back. We picked AKL because I received an amazing rate of like $119 a night and for a Deluxe hotel at Disney that was incredible. I didn't especially need to see the animals at all times. Plus, there are plenty of viewing areas. I would definitely stay at AKL again. The lobby is just so tranquil and beautiful. The downside is the time it takes to get to other parks other than Animal Kingdom.

tuccelli Apr 10th, 2006 09:25 PM

There are no beaches. They are lakes or man-made lakes. If swimming is important go for the best pool or visit a water park.

Ryan Apr 11th, 2006 05:17 AM

3 year olds are allowed in the watercraft. As mentioned, you can't swim in any of the Disney lakes.

I like the AK. We think the Savannah view is worth it as is the extra cost for the conceirge lounge.

Intrepid1 Apr 11th, 2006 05:49 AM

If you are looking for the "best pool" then you need to be at the Yacht and Beach IMO.

z3fan123 Apr 11th, 2006 12:59 PM

Thank you to all! I realize now that with a 3 yr old, I want to have the best pool and be closer to the parks. we are going to stay at yacht or beach club. now I just have to figure which one!!