Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Walking to Whaler's Village from Sheraton Maui

Old Dec 26th, 2006, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DH and I will be at Sheraton Maui 2/16 - 2/23. I'm in the final stages of nailing down our itinerary and sifting through all the restaurant recommendations has been challenging. That said, we will spend most of our mornings and afternoons enjoying the beach at the Sheraton. Is is possible to walk from the beach to Whaler's Village for lunch? Or, should we plan on staying at the Sheraton for lunch? Another option is to take a cooler (rented) with sandwich fixings, soda, etc. to maximize our beach time. Any advice from an experienced traveler in this area would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old Dec 26th, 2006, 08:04 AM

It's a short, easy walk to Whaler's Village from the Sheraton. The Ka'anapali Beach area is one of my favorites on Maui. I'm been to Maui about 16 times, and will happily share any info you'd like. My direct email is [email protected], if you'd like to contact me.

I don't know if this is your first time to Maui or not, but Feb is my favorite time to go, as you can see the awesome humpback whales.
Aloha - Dianne
Old Dec 26th, 2006, 10:07 AM

I am not sure where or why you would rent a cooler. I bought an insulated bag from home to use for our picnic/beach lunches when we were in HI. If it doesn't fold up flat like ours did, just set it in your suitcase and fill it with clothes or whatever that would normally be in your suitcase. It would be good to pack some of those "blue ice" things in it, or other basics you don't want to buy big amounts of in HI[get condiment packages when at fast food places etc]. We also brought dry cereal, some paper plates, bowls, spoons with us so we could have breakfast in our room on the balacony.

IF you really want to have a larger cooler, there is a Safeway just before you get to the turnoff for Ka'anapali that you can buy one for a reasonable price and just leave when you go home. They have everything you need for fixing lunch, or sunset cocktails. There is also an ABC store in Whaler's Village where you can get similar things.

Hope this helps...
Debi
Old Dec 26th, 2006, 10:39 AM

We walked to Whaler's Village for lunch quite a bit while we were at the Sheraton. We ate a lot at Hula Grill! The walk is less than 10 min.
Old Dec 26th, 2006, 12:26 PM

Whaler's Village is a super short walk. If I remember correctly there are a few fast-food options there as well as sit-down restaurants. If you don't feel like hauling a cooler to the beach, ask the Sheraton if they have mini-fridges available. You can store your food in that and have lunch in your room on the balcony.
Old Dec 26th, 2006, 04:14 PM

I think the Sheraton will also provide "box lunches" through their restaurants. We did this a couple years ago when we took off in the rental car. It included a sandwich, apple, dessert, chips and drink. I'm sure they would do the same for you, can't remember the price but it wasn't outrageous (by Hawaii standards anyway). Just another option