Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Walking Shoes ----> Hiking Boots (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/walking-shoes-hiking-boots-683633/)

Myer Feb 28th, 2007 04:39 AM

Walking Shoes ----> Hiking Boots

I'm thinking of spending 2-3 days visiting Zion and Bryce NP.

I have good walking shoes that I've used on European trips that involved all day walking.

At what point do you decide that these aren't good enough a buy hiking boots.

I don't intend to do strenuous hiking. Just the relatively easy/beginner trails such as Queen's Garden and possibly a combination Navajo Loop/Queen's Garden.

Thanks.

OO Feb 28th, 2007 04:59 AM

Hiking boots are great, even on the easier loop trail you've mentioned. The tread on the bottom of the boot gives great traction and the slightly higher boot provides foot and ankle stability. If you run into mud or wet conditions you don't care. You could get by in running shoes or the like, but I wouldn't wear anything (walking shoes) I valued.

Hiking boots need not be terribly expensive...their biggest drawback for me is their bulk in packing. We bought ours initially for Grand Canyon and have drug them out once a year since for Bryce/Zion (several trips), Sedona, Flagstaff etc. Very definitely money well spent.

starrsville Feb 28th, 2007 05:11 AM

The hybrid walking/ hiking shoes or light hikers are a good compromise if aren't backpacking. Take a glance at LLBean's website for ideas.

happytourist Feb 28th, 2007 06:25 AM

I like the Propet Wash 'n Wear Walker slipons available at footsmart.com. The cushioned sole is more comfortable for me than most athletic shoes.

I also have the Propet Ravine Walkers but prefer the Wash 'n Wear as the fit is a little snug on the Ravines (with an orthotic inserted). I wore the W&Ws on a month-long trip to western national parks last year--never took my hiking boots out as these worked perfectly.

dfrostnh Feb 28th, 2007 06:36 AM

I love my LL Bean low-cuts purchased several years ago before a trip to Alaska. Although a little bulky they don't take up too much room and they are so comfortable (and waterproof) that they are my footwear of choice all winter. Just make sure you don't have a slippery sole which some walking shoes have esp if well-worn.

AnnMarie_C Feb 28th, 2007 06:38 AM

I prefer Lowa hiking boots in favor of my european walking shoes which I would never take on a trail.

http://www.lowaboots.com/catalog/cat...y=3&Type=M

kureiff Feb 28th, 2007 06:40 AM

I hike quite a bit, but I really prefer to hike in trail running shoes because they're lighter and more comfortable.

If you want hiking boots, I'd look at some light weight hiking boots as mentioned above. Lowa, Merrill, and Asolo are some of my favorite brands for light weight hiking shoes.

LLindaC Feb 28th, 2007 07:10 AM

Did lots of hiking in Switzerland last year and year before and am hiking in Austria this summer. I don't like anything bulky. I made a mistake by buying "water resistant" shoes instead of waterproof...bad mistake! A good pair of shoes with a great tread and support is an investment! Shouls last a while, too. Also, buy them with a little room and put a pair of good orthotics for extra cushioning. I like Power Steps. This will save your knees, especially on downhills. Shoes can be pricey- that's silly! I got great ones at www.sierratradingpost.com
Just got a new pair of Keen Targhee for 65 bucks!!

OO Feb 28th, 2007 07:29 AM

AM, my husband has Lowas too and loves them. His are the kerano...we've evidently had some long hard hikes as he finally blew out his sole, on Enchanted Rock of all places!! I was so worried about him tripping on it and falling then rolling all the way to the bottom! LOL Then me having to drive his humongous car home! (Important stuff dontchaknow :D)

Birdie Feb 28th, 2007 08:00 AM

The trails that you will find in Zion and Bryce will have a lot of scree, loose pebbles, and small rocks. It is on trails like that I find I have a problem with traction when I wear my walking shoes rather than my hiking boots.

Fodorite018 Feb 28th, 2007 08:15 AM

Another fan of Lowa's. We have the Renegades. They are a bit bulky, but are worth it.

anneryan Feb 28th, 2007 08:52 AM

My husband and I both have New Balance hiking shoes that we got for our trip to Zion last year. We both LOVE them and found them to be very comfortable.

AnnMarie_C Feb 28th, 2007 10:11 AM

OO,

Was he headed up, down, or, over, lol. There are some pretty tricky, challenging places out there so I'm not completely surprised but still--wow!

mms, that's what I have though I would never know their name if I hadn't saved the box to store them in! They are my favorite hikers of all time.

Fodorite018 Feb 28th, 2007 10:32 AM

AnnMarie--Aren't they great?! A friend told me about them years ago, and after I bought mine I convinced DH. Then the kids each got them. Then other friends. It has become a joke with our hiking friends that I am salesman for Lowa, lol!

AnnMarie_C Feb 28th, 2007 12:08 PM

lol, mms, it's like a scene from that old Fabrege shampoo commercial...<i>then they told two friends and so on and so on</i>... :-)

Fodorite018 Feb 28th, 2007 12:17 PM

LOL AnnMarie!!! So true!

jnabring Mar 3rd, 2007 06:06 AM

My truly outdoorsy husband mentioned that once you are on a dirt trail, hiking boots make it much easier overall to hike.

Looking for a great bargain? I shop www.sierratradingpost.com and www.campmor.com for deals on outdoor gear.

Got a great pair of Lowa's for $50!! Normally $150+ - if you don't have issues buying shoes online, this is the way to go!!

OO Mar 3rd, 2007 06:58 AM

If you have an REI near you, that's where I'd get my hiking boots. That's a very hard purchase to make online because utmost comfort and proper fit are so important!

Mine were fitted at the Dallas REI. Salesman had me walk down a small ramp with them to ensure that my toes would not hit the tip, even on a steep downhill. The pair I ended up with, after trying several, were great and comfortable right out of the box.

My DH got his Lowas from REI online as there was no store near us at the time, (living in FL). He purchased his normal size, and after my experience being fit at the store, we found a little incline to walk down to ensure his were perfect. Unfortunately, his toes did hit, but fortunately REI has an easy and generous return policy. He shipped them back, ordered the next larger size, and voil&agrave;, perfect. I think his experience, buying his normal size and having to return for a larger one speaks to the value of actually going to a store and being fitted by a sales person who knows what he's doing. There's nothing worse than discovering you have a pair of ill fitting boots midway through a long hike! :)

HonestAbe Mar 3rd, 2007 09:51 AM

More and more hiking boots are nearly as lightweight and comfortable as a shoe. That is what I would go with.

I've never thought of using trail running shoes, as another poster suggested, but am intrigued by that idea.

mlw May 2nd, 2007 04:05 AM

Will be leaving in a week for Zion, Bryce, North Rim, etc. and am starting to obsess about shoes for hiking, especially after reading several threads addressing that issue.
We are trying to pack lite,will be doing just light to moderate hiking. We have LL Bean light hikers that we bought and wore in Alaska, but also have very comfortable, well broken in New Balance walking shoes. Always have worn cotton athletic socks with both, with no problems, but now thinking maybe we should get some of the special socks mentioned for hiking. Any more thoughts or suggestions???