Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Walking in San Francisco at night-safe everywhere? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/walking-in-san-francisco-at-night-safe-everywhere-734814/)

jjgittes Sep 7th, 2007 09:45 AM

Walking in San Francisco at night-safe everywhere?

My wife and I will be visiting San Francisco in the next few months and will be staying near Market/New Montgomery Street. We found out a relative will be there at the same time staying near Folsom/Second Street. SInce neither of us will be renting cars, I was wondering that though it is only about a half-mile distance if walking at night around there is okay OR if we should consider cabs when we meet up? Thank you.

dmlove Sep 7th, 2007 10:24 AM

Your relative is staying at the Courtyard? The only problem is that the streets around the Courtyard are much more deserted at night than are the streets around Market and New Montgomery. It's not in a "bad neighborhood" it's just in a neighborhood that is filled with offices and is more lively during the day.

FainaAgain Sep 7th, 2007 12:23 PM

Second @ Folsom? I would take a taxi.

egret Sep 7th, 2007 04:14 PM

I would NEVER walk at night in San Francisco. Like the above post suggested, take a taxi.

MikeT Sep 7th, 2007 05:57 PM

These nieghborhoods are perfectly safe and so close. I say use your own judgment. If you are uncomfortable in big cities where homeless and random people are on the street lurking around, you will be fine.

cathdav Sep 7th, 2007 06:20 PM

Agree with Mike T. If there are two of you and you feel comfortable the walking is the best way to see the city. I travel on business there and while I don't walk far alone, I do.

elsiemoo Sep 8th, 2007 04:19 PM

While you guys are discussing walking at night in San Fran, how do you feel about walking at night (after nine) from Fisherman's Wharf to Columbus Motor Inn? We did ... but I didn't feel completely comfortable doing it, and might not the next time.

MikeT Sep 9th, 2007 06:12 AM

What did you find uncomfortable? What about it felt unsafe?

jjgittes Jan 16th, 2008 01:29 PM

A belated thanks to you all. You were right on about the area of FOlsom/Second being more lively during the day than night. But the one night we did hoof it back to Market/New Montgomery at about 11:00PM, we ended up chatting with about five people in the Courtyard Lobby who happened to be walking up that way as well. We tagged along so the old "safety in numbers" cliche' kicked in. The area is definitely not too active at night. The (apparently) homeless we encountered lurking might have made us wary of our choice if not for the fact one of the people in our group was a 6'3" former marine! Still, given that those lurking in the streets appeared to be individuals as compared to "groups" per se, I see Mike and Cathy's point that one can feel a bit unpleasant but not sure the word dangerous applies either.