Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Walking between Union Square & Nob Hill? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/walking-between-union-square-and-nob-hill-618757/)

ScarlyAngel May 26th, 2006 03:22 PM

Walking between Union Square & Nob Hill?

Hi! My husband and I are traveling with my parents to SF in July. We're staying at the Warwick Regis in Union Square (is it a nice hotel? Looked cute!) Anyway, we'll only have one night to ourselves there and were thinking of going to the Top of the Mark for drinks . . . do you think that's a good choice? Also, is it walkable from our hotel? (Uphill or down?) If not, would you recommend a taxi, esp. since we'd go late on a Sat.? (We live in DC, so we're not afraid of big cities. Just curious!) Thanks!

FainaAgain May 26th, 2006 03:35 PM

They don't call it a hill for nothin'. Very steep. I don't think it's not safe, just a difficult walk. But it depends on the health of your parents.

Also down, after the drinks it may seem more difficult, you need good knees :)

I don't know of any buses running that route, #27 stops won't be safe, cable car is the best, but will be packed.

janisj May 26th, 2006 03:41 PM

Up to the Mark is an awful climb - and back down would be hell if if either lady is in heels.

Take a cab.

LoveItaly May 26th, 2006 08:13 PM

Hi Scarly, I have often walked from Union Square to NobHill where the Mark Hopkins is, and in high heels. But I am a great walker. One time my SIL who goes the gym every day said he was going to "die" from the walk, lol. He is from the Santa Barbara area and not use to the SF hills. If you have any concerns I would take a taxi..and that would probably be the most relaxing for you. Have fun!!!

janisj May 26th, 2006 08:18 PM

My heels comment was about the downhill leg. I find walking down steep hills in high heels really difficult - sort of going on tip toe all the way.

LoveItaly May 26th, 2006 09:23 PM

Hi jansij, my daughter has the same problem, not unusual at all. And going to the Mark for a lovely cocktail and the view does deserve taxi service.

ScarlyAngel, do enjoy your time in San Francisco!!

Suzie May 26th, 2006 10:09 PM

We took the Cable Car up to the Mark Hopkins from Union Square. Not a long trip but the climb was too daunting. We did walk down the hill though but laughed the entire trip due to the unbelieveable steepitude (made up word). We didn't have pump style heels but my closed shoes had heels.

johnthedorf May 27th, 2006 02:45 AM

I use to take the Cable Car from my apartment between Washington and Jackson on Taylor. Since I wanted to keep my legs in shape I would walk back up from Union Square. Great way to build up thigh muscles! Fogetaboutit!

Jed May 27th, 2006 04:07 AM

Since only it is you and your husband who are walking, if you are in reasonable shape, walk up. Take your time. It will be an experience. If you decide not to walk, take the cable car, and stand at the end, but be careful of the passing cars on both sides.

TOTM is good for a drink, especially if you can get a table near the window and the weather is clear. They will let you in without high heels. ((*))

ScarlyAngel May 27th, 2006 08:09 AM

Thanks all! Not sure of the size of the heel I will be wearing yet, since I'll be trying to travel light! (Ha-ha!) But you all might have convinced me of a cab both ways since the walk would be coming after a long day of sightseeing! :)