Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Wailea Renaissance vs. Kapalua Bay vs. Ritz garden view

Old Mar 5th, 2001, 12:03 PM
Laura

We're planning our first trip to Maui using airline/hotel points, which means we need to go with a chain (e.g., Starwood, Marriott, etc.). We're trying to narrow our choices between the Kapalua Bay Hotel (Starwood property) and the Regency in Wailea (using Marriott points). Any recommendations as to which would be nicest, best location? We also have the option for a "garden view" at the Ritz in Kapalua. Would I be disappointed without a view? Looking for a great hotel with a nice property, pretty beach, great sunsets ... you know ... I'm want it all.

Appreciate any info.

Old Mar 5th, 2001, 12:45 PM
DO

Laura, please give more info on your likes and dislikes, do you want to be near the activities like Lahaina, where the harbor is for boat rides,cruises, shopping, restaurants or you dont mind a drive (Wailea to Lahaina is 40min). What time of year, Kapalua gets much more rain than Wailea and when you say the Regency, do you mean the Hyatt Regency because that is in Kaanapali.
do

Old Mar 5th, 2001, 01:07 PM
Laura

DO ... I meant the Renaissance in Wailea. Sorry about that. We'll be going at the end of July. As for likes, I would like to be able to drive to activities and want to spend time in Lahina, drive to Hana, do the "typical" activities, but they don't have to be out my back door. I would like a resort that is lush and tropical, low-key but first class. Beach is important; good restaurants, etc.

Thanks for getting me to clarify.

Old Mar 5th, 2001, 01:19 PM
Joy

Laura, The Renaissance Is a low-key, first-class hotel. The beach is outstanding, you do not have to go far to get to it. The restaurants are excellent, we especially like the breakasts and the appetizers at the Sunset Lounge. There is a wonderful guitarist there, Jamie, he plays nearly every night. To us, Lahaina and Kapalua are just too touristy, too crowded. That feeling is not there in Wailea. It's a beautiful spot.

Old Mar 5th, 2001, 04:54 PM
annemarie

You will definitely want the Renaissance...the Wailea area is great. You will be a closer distance to Hana, etc. Property is a great one. Kapalua is just too far up although certainly worth the drive. The Ritz is a superlative place but the beach there is not...a downhill walk from the property and quite rough and often not suitable for swimming. Up at Kapalua you basically have 2 properties from which to choose for dining...great places but you will have to climb into your car for dining most of the time. Plus Kapalua is too windy..the Ritz has plastic shields up at the pool to protect you from the wind.

Old Mar 5th, 2001, 05:07 PM
Gary

Tending toward contrarianism most of the time, this is difficult for me to say, but...I completely agree with the above posts!
I would choose the renaissance of the 3 you mentioned. I don't like Kapalua (spent part of our honeymoon there) and I love Wailea. I prefer the Four Seasons or Kea Lani, but the Renaissance is a great place too.
Sounds to me like you're on the right track to putting together a great trip. Enjoy!

Old Mar 5th, 2001, 06:18 PM
Laura

Thanks everyone. This has been a very tough decision. My husband has been to Maui before and stayed in Kapalua (one of the reasons I'm actually leaning towards Wailea, if you know what I mean). You're all helping me to build my case. Thanks.

One quick question to Gary ... can you tell me what it is about the Kea Lani and the Four Seasons that you prefer over the Renaissance? (I mean ... other than it's the FOUR SEASONS!!)

Old Mar 6th, 2001, 02:11 PM
annemarie

I am not Gary but have seen all three properities and stayed at the Kea Lani. Both the
KL and the FS are superior to the R. They are almost in a league of their own. The R is great too. Conde Nast, Zagat...all the ratings books...usually give the FS and KL a nid to high 90 rating whereas the R usually gets a high 70. Why? Service at the FS is impeccable...rates include many things not included at other places...cabanas free whereas they are 75 daily at the KL. At the KL you get a gorgeous 2 room suite with a huge bathroom. Both just great properties. The fact of the matter is that is you are working on points than stick to the R...you may want to ask for their rooms down closer to the beach than provide yet another small pool, continental breakfast in the morning and your own concierge.

Old Mar 6th, 2001, 02:13 PM
annemarie

Sorry for the typos..again no glasses...ratings are usually from about 86-92.

Old Mar 6th, 2001, 05:03 PM
Joy

I know nothing about the other hotels mentioned. I do know that The Renaissanc e is a first-class hotel. The rooms are CLEAN, the staff is warm and friendly - the same people have been there for the last 4 years. They must like their working conditions. Breakfasts are wonderful, cooked to your preference. And, the grounds and gardens are beautiful, and tended to every day. Last, the most important, you are right on the ocean. In my opinion, the best part of the hotel.

Old Mar 6th, 2001, 05:19 PM
Gary

Laura:
By all means, if you can swing a much better deal at the Renaissance (Free? Using points? Free is hard to beat) then please stay at the R and enjoy your visit. There's nothing I can think of which is bad/negative about the R.
As for why I rate the FS and KL higher, annemarie took the words right off my keyboard. Lots of things about the FS appeal to me, but many of them are not apparent from walking through the hotel for a casual glance. And some of the things I enjoy about luxury properties wouldn't be important to others. I value the privacy, the peace and quiet, the outstanding service, the dependability that they'll take care of anything you need/desire, and the quality of the furnishings/towels/toiletries/food etc etc is unequaled. Is it worth the extra $$? Not for some.
From what I can tell from your notes I think the R sounds like it should work out well for you and I'll be surprised if you're not very pleased with your stay there.

Old Mar 6th, 2001, 07:18 PM
paul

I have stayed at the Ritz and the Renaissance. I have visited the Kapalua Bay Hotel. I love Ritz Carltons and hate to vote against them but my wife and I both like the Renaissance better. It is low key, tropical and first class. The beach is much better than the Ritz. The pool itself is very small at the Renaissance but that wasn't important to us. The rooms are large and comfortable. The Kapalua Bay Hotel is very nice and has a great beach attached to it. They were doing construction next door when we were there (last year at this time) and that would be a distraction if it is not completed. If it was me, I would go with the Renaisance.

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 02:08 PM
Gail

We just returned from our trip and we stayed at the Renaissance using points. We were able to upgrade to a oceanfront room for $50 a night and it was great. I don't have one negative thing to say about the hotel except they are doing construction next door and they start about 8 until about 4. It wasn't a problem for us because we were usually awake (due to Hawaii being 4 hours earlier) and we went to the beach or other things during the day. So that might be one thing that could be a problem. My favorite Hotel is the Grand Wailea but the Kea Lani and Four Seasons look wonderful too. But they were booked solid and they are very expensive.

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 03:45 PM
roger

Laura, As a former resident of Maui and employee of the Grand Wailea, I agree with the excellent advice given by the former posters. I would even pay to stay at the Renaissance, a very class act. MY favorite is the Kea Lani because all of the rooms are suites and I usually travel in groups of three.

The construction nest door should be completed by now, it was for the Wailea shopping village. just ask the hotel if there is any noise. They are very good about locating people away from the noise. I can't imagine how you would be disapointed by staying at the Ritz Carlton, but it is at the extreme NW side of Maui, 20 minutes or so north of Lahaina. An ocean view room is nice, but remember, you will be outside most of the day, and you cannot see the ocean after sunset, so it is only useful a few times a day.

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 03:56 PM
FredBloggs

I've stayed at the Ritz many times.
NO way can you see the garden !!!

Old Mar 8th, 2001, 05:48 AM
Marie

Gail,
My husband and I are staying in an oceanfront room at the Renaissance in May and I was a little concerned about the construction going on next door. We're going from Saturday through Wednesday and the hotel said that the construction hours are Monday - Friday 8am til 4pm like you stated. They also said that the majority of the noise (heavy machinery and blasting)is over now. Did you notice alot of noise when you were at the beach or pool? Like you, I thought that if it was loud we'd just go sightseeing during the week and hang at the hotel on the weekend. The rate we got for the oceanfront room with the Entertainment card could not be beat and we have no intention of changing hotels! All the positives comments I have read in books or on forums about the hotel greatly outweigh any negatives. Let me know your thoughts.

Old Mar 8th, 2001, 05:56 AM
Marie

Gail,

No need to post a reply. I just saw your new message on another e-mail and you answered my question. Thanks so much! (I'm not changing my reservation and look forward to my stay at the Renaissance).