Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Waikiki's International Marketplace Gone in 2014
Notices

Waikiki's International Marketplace Gone in 2014

Nov 17th, 2013, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Waikiki's International Marketplace Gone in 2014

For anyone who is into kitsch or history or just buying those items affectionately known as souvenirs (aka Junk), the International Marketplace in Waikiki is going to be torn down at the end of 2013 to make way for new upscale hotel and shopping opportunities. (I heard potentially a St Regis or Ritz Carlton.) When we came over on our honeymoon many moons ago, the International Marketplace was one of the first places we walked through so I have fond memories even though I didn't buy anything. I can't imagine not having the opportunity to say good bye to a campy classic, so I wanted to share the news with anyone else who didn't know and might be visiting. Aloha International Marketplace!
Nov 17th, 2013, 06:28 PM

Wow. I remember the International Market Place was buzzing when I visited it in 1974. I have been there many times since. It brings back many great memories. I will miss it.
Nov 17th, 2013, 06:41 PM

I'm really not surprised. I was in Honolulu in late August, and the Int'l Market Place was pretty quiet. The vendors were trying extra hard to try and make sales, IMO.

It was one of the first places we wanted to see, back in 1976, on the first HNL trip. Yes, it will be missed to some degree.
Nov 18th, 2013, 02:43 PM

They have been threatening to demo the IMP for quite awhile now but it keeps being postponed. I will be very sad when it finally happens. I especially love the food court and the shows on the free stage there.

Search this Thread