Waikiki - some restaurant reviews

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22nd, 2009, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Here's my trip report. But it's all about food! Some old favorites and new ones I tried on my vacation Nov 8-18-

ME Korean BBQ, 151 Uluniu Ave. at the Royal Grove hotel. This place rocks! I had breakfast there most mornings. Scrambled eggs, 3 strips of bacon (or spam or portuguese sausage), wheat toast or 2 scoops rice $4.25. Made fresh, eaten on the outdoor patio. Full plate BBQ chicken dinner $8.50, 2 scoops rice, 4 vegetable sides.

ShoreBird $12.95 breakfast buffet was very nice with their lovely ocean view. Three kinds of pastries, white bread, papaya, pineapple, canned peaches, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, portugese sausage, corned beef hash, poached white fish, fried rice, ham, turkey, juice, coffee, tea.

Eggs & Things is in fact reopen at 343 Saratoga but the two times I went the wait was 20-30 mins. and prices seemed a bit stiff for a breakfast (omelettes $9.75 for example). Looked cute though.

Seaside Bar & Grill, 2256 Kuhio, 2 pancake, 2 bacon, 2 scrambled egg special $3.75. Daily omelet special $6.95. Cocktails available. I like the nitty gritty old time atmosphere of this place, a nice contrast from all the upscale new stuff going on.

Blue Water Shimp Co. at the International Market food court. ~$12.95 for shrimp scampi or mac nut crusted opaka-paka. with green salad, small piece corn on the cob, sauteed vegetables, 2 scoops rice. Some nights have live music on the stage there (I saw Greg & Junko MacDonald, a steel pan music duo, they're there Sundays and Tuesdays 6:30-8:30pm)

International Market has a Thursday 'farmers market' from 4 to 8 pm. So there's a few independent temporary food booths different from the regular shops. Several families doing BBQ chicken plates. One Mom & Pop with amazing food... pork adobo, two other pork dishes, several vegetable sides (look for the set up on stainless steel steam trays, crock pots, rice cookers). My heaping too-go container with 2 main dishes was $5.50. They are only there on Thursdays. Real home cooking. Also don't miss the booth for Ruby's Organic Pastries, her mac nut chocolate oatmeal cookies were outta this world.

Keoni by Keos, 2375 Kuhio is a mid-scale place, nice atmosphere, good service and decent Thai and seafood. My mahimahi was pretty good, the mashed potato side was killer.

Barefoot Bar at Dukes at sunset and a glass of wine and live hawaiian music was lovely.

The bar at Hau Tree Lanai at New Otani, again very nice for a couple mai tais at sunset.

The restaurant/bar at my own hotel "Sand Bar" (Waikiki Sand Villa) was decent with friendly service. The menu is limited but what I had (and what I saw others with) was good. I had a huge spinach, mushroom, bacon omelette & a great bloody mary for just $9.50. Saw others with caesar salads, fried mahimahi with onion rings, like that.

Old Saigon pho noodle shop at 2270 Kuhio was very good. I had a stir-fry of shrimp, squid, vegetables & a Tsingtao beer for $21 plus tip.

aloha, and happy eating, suze
Old Nov 24th, 2009, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

I think maybe I should have titled this thread "Cheap Eats Waikiki" instead
Old Nov 24th, 2009, 08:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
We loved the bar at Duke's to hang out. Our favorite!

I am keeping your Cabo list for our trip at Easter.

MY
Old Feb 5th, 2010, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheap and good - the perfect way to go! Thanks so much for taking the time to post this. We will be there in March and I just started researching restaurants (first time in Honolulu; second time in Maui).
Old Feb 5th, 2010, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

My pleasure! I love Waikiki and like to get the word out that it doesn't have to cost a ton of money to have fun (and great food) there.
Old Feb 5th, 2010, 07:44 PM

Here are some links for cheap eats on Oahu:

http://www.latimes.com/travel/la-trw...8.photogallery

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...307/Cheap+eats

http://honolulu.metromix.com/restaur...229020/content

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/sp...ants095/browse Scroll down to Cheap Eats section.

Every week KGMB/KHNL features a Cheap Eats restaurant:

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/Global/...1&nav=menu55_7
Old Feb 6th, 2010, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the additions, Dusty. You always have the best information. I needed more ideas to try on my next trip!
Old Jun 7th, 2010, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

back to the top for Lorainne
Old Jun 7th, 2010, 01:12 PM

excellent cheap eats suze and Dusty!
O'ahu has some of the best cheap eats that not many tourists get to try!
Aloha
Old Jun 8th, 2010, 07:01 AM

Wow, thanks Suze (and Dusty) for taking the time to share this valued info with us. It will definitely make our holiday more enjoyable knowing where the best value eats are. I will make it a point to share our experiences with all of you after our trip in July. So keep posted!
Old Jun 8th, 2010, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

During my trip last November, I was there for 10 days. And only ate in 'nicer' tourist restaurants a couple times. I was in heaven with all the cheap eats and various 'island' food. Often I'd have a drink at a fancier place on the beach at sunset, but then head to a food court or the grocery store and have dinner out on my lanai at the hotel.
Old Jun 19th, 2010, 03:06 PM

Great info, Suze! I'm glad to know that Keoni is still going strong. Your system of a drink in a beachside bar and dinner on your own lanai is very relaxing.
Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 10:08 AM

Thanks for the ideas on where to eat. Heading there this weekend. Noticed you might be there to suze. I am real excited as this is my first time. Looking forward to doing some hiking and snorkling. Sam
Old Apr 30th, 2013, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

Yes I was in Waikiki last week, I'll have to update my restaurant suggestions here.
Old May 1st, 2013, 08:26 AM

Saw these were from 2010 then noticed it was ttt'd.

Thx a mint for sharing these, suze. Always easy to find the "high end" places but we usually only eat at those once or twice a trip as DH finds them pretentious, whether or not they actually are.

I copied some of these into my notes to research before our trip. Looking fwd to reading any additions you have from your recent trip(s).

Enjoy-la!
Old May 1st, 2013, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

This most recent trip (last week) I only ate in a sit down restaurants two times. Once was for breakfast at Seaside Bar & Grill, still as good as ever. It's a classic! The other was for a fancy meal at Arancino's. I went to their new location at the Marriott hotel (I'd been to their other location on BeachWalk several times).

Besides that I had dinner at Blue Water Shrimp Co. at the IMP food court (3 times!), mahi-mahi or garlic shrimp. Dinners are around $14 there these days. But free entertainment on the IMP stage.

Went to ME Korean BBQ twice. Breakfast is still $4.50 but dinners were up around $12.

Udon one night from a booth at the Royal Hawaiian shopping center food court.

Most breakfasts and lunches were from St Germaine bakery. Two kinds of quiche (spinach, and bacon/cheese) and great fresh sandwiches on walnut bread (tuna, turkey, rb, etc.) Quiche is $3.50 sandwiches $3.95

The best little farmer's market I ran across was at King's Village (near the beach) on Mon & Fri from 4-9pm. I had a delish dinner there one evening ($11) of fried rice, and 4 varieties of skewers (chicken, pork, meatball, etc.). Also the best deal on cut-up fresh fruit I'd seen anywhere. Only $3 for a BIG container of lovely tropical fruit (compared to one about 1/2 the size and not so fresh at ABC for $6.99!). There was a guy with good looking poke, and several bakeries, in addition to a few people with fresh vegetables, honey, etc.
Old May 2nd, 2013, 07:46 AM

Nice reviews. Will have to check out the King's Village farmer's market since we usually stay so close to it.
I really love Oahu. I love the restaurants and the food. My mind is always torn when I'm in town on whether to try new restaurants or go back to old favorites.