Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > waikiki. need breakfast/lunch recommendations.......

waikiki. need breakfast/lunch recommendations.......

Aug 11th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Original Poster

waikiki. need breakfast/lunch recommendations.......

staying in waikiki on the diamond-head side, 2 blocks from beach. (near kaheo beach). can anyone recommend a restaurant for breakfast or lunch, that is either inexpensive, has a buffet, &/or is outdoors possibly with a nice view.
Aug 12th, 2008, 06:53 AM

I always buy my lunch from an ABC Store. They have a great assortment of ready-made fresh food. For $5-6 you can get something nice and take it to the beach. Isn't anything less expensive or with a better view than that!
Aug 12th, 2008, 06:54 AM

The patio (2nd floor) at Tiki Bar & Grill has a nice view and reasonable priced menu (hamburgers, sandwiches, etc.).
Aug 12th, 2008, 09:34 AM

As suze said, Tiki's is nice. It does have outdoor patio type seating.

Another place that has a similar view (across the street from the beach) and food is Lulu's, which is across the street from the zoo. While it does not have outdoor seating, it does have large shutters that open up so the beach facing side of the restaurant is pretty much open.

I believe the Shorebird has outdoor seating and I've heard their breakfast is pretty good.

Further into Waikiki is Duke's. Outdoor seating and their menu is similar to Tiki's and Lulu's, but priced a tad higher.
Aug 12th, 2008, 10:12 AM

The Shore Bird is one of my favorite places. I don't remember outdoor seating but the whole restaurant is open-air. There are dollar-off coupons in the tourist magazines you can pick up on the street, or ask the hostess for a coupon when you get there. It is in the Outrigger reef hotel so a bit of a walk from where it sounds like you are staying. (Do you mean Kuhio Beach?)

Last summer our favorite breakfast place was Keoni by Keo's, which is on the ground floor of the Ohana East hotel, corner of Kauilani and Kuhio. They had a good bkfst special for $3.95, and other things were available in the $5-8 range.

Aug 12th, 2008, 11:39 AM

"near kaheo beach"

I also don't recognize that name or find it on the Waikiki map?
Aug 12th, 2008, 01:43 PM

I just went to the Hau Tree Lanai based on a recommendation on Fodor's forum. I was really charmed by the atmosphere, as it is right on the beach and you sit under gnarled old trees. I made reservations on opentable.com, which is easy, and I could check out reviews and pictures of the restaurant.

It's not inexpensive, though, but very pretty, and close to where you are staying, I think.
Aug 12th, 2008, 01:47 PM

Do you mean Kuhio Beach? In that case, Bogart's Cafe is at 3045 Monsarrat Ave #3, right past Kapiolani Park on Monsarrat. Service is not fast ("Slowgart's"), but the breakfasts, brunches, and lunches--especially the chicken and avocado salad--are great. Very few tourists, and very casual.

Aug 13th, 2008, 12:22 AM

Well, you know me, I'm totally pushing our new site:
www.metromix.com

I'm guessing you mean Kuhio beach, in which case I also vote for the Hau Tree Lanai. I also love Tiki's for lunch, overlooking the beach.
Aug 13th, 2008, 01:31 AM

Ahem Melissa, it's www.honolulu.metromix.com

Check out the restaurants section. Burgers on the Edge is Melissa's review. Just launched last week--maybe we need a story on best breakfasts in Waikiki?
Aug 13th, 2008, 06:04 AM

There's lots of nice inexpensive places to eat outdoors. The snack bars on the beach at either end, for one.

There's picnic tables on grass at both Fort de Russey, and Queen Kapiolani ends of Waikiki.

Blue Water Shrimp & Seafood Co. catering truck on Kuhio between Launiu and Kaiolu has excellent huge shrimp plates for $10.95, open 10-10 daily.
Aug 13th, 2008, 06:18 AM

The Shorebird is a great place, buffet style and lots of selection. Quite often they have a coupon in one of those coupon books you can get on the street in Waikiki.
Aug 13th, 2008, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

wow! looks like some great recommendations! thank you! we are 2 blocks from kuhio beach (sorry for the confusion). is shorebird within walking distance of kuhio beach? do they have a buffet breakfast as well as a buffet lunch? the "hau tree lanai" looks wonderful. is that close to kuhio?
Aug 13th, 2008, 07:52 PM

here's a map of Waikiki, which I think is pretty up-to-date http://www.discounthotelshawaii.com/waikikimap.html
Hau Tree Lanai is at the New Otani Kaimana which is #77 on the map, and Shore Bird is in Outrigger Reef which is #25 on the map. Kuhio Beach Park runs east from the police station that you see on the beach in the blue section. I'm not sure exactly where Kuhio Bch Park ends and Kapiolani Park begins. It's fun to start at Kuhio Bch Park near the police station and walk on the beach all the way down to the Shore Bird, wash the sand off your feet at the convenient spigot they have, and go in for breakfast. Early in the morning there aren't too many people on the beach yet and the light is very pretty.
Aug 13th, 2008, 08:00 PM

here's the hours and menus for the Shore Bird http://shorebirdwaikiki.com/breakfast1.htm
the "about us" page has a photo that really shows the location right on the beach. Last year the bkfst buffet was $11.95 and we got $1 coupons from the hostess.
Aug 13th, 2008, 11:12 PM

Welcome back to fodors, Mari808!!! I was just testing, heh heh. BTW guys, Mari's stuff is also on Metromix. Check out her "Beyond Pho" (Vietnamese) feature. She's got Japanese food and salads to come.
Aug 14th, 2008, 06:53 AM

bodhijack~ ALL these places are close enough. Waikiki is not all that big. You can probably walk the central core end-to-end in 1/2 an hour. I'm guessing you are approximate equal distance to walk to the Shorebird at Outrigger Reef hotel in one direction or Hau Tree Lanai at the the New Otani hotel in the other.

I had to look at a map to figure out what you are talking about regarding beach names. I always think of the entire stretch as "Waikiki" but I see it is technically called... Waikiki Beach, then Kuhio Beach, Queen's Surf Beach, San Souci Beach, etc.

Search this Thread