Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Waikiki Hotels - Marriott vs. Moana Surfrider vs. other?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be joining my husband on a business trip to Honolulu in April, and have been looking at hotels in the Waikiki area. We're limited to this area because of transporation reasons for his work days, so although I know there are other nice selections outside this area, we can't consider them.

They are booking at government rates, so I was looking at the Marriott and the Moana Surfrider in particular and the room types available for the govt. rate. These two seem a bit better than the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani (the only Sheraton available for govt. rates on these dates).

Marriott Waikiki Beach says that it is "1 King or 1 Queen or 2 Double, City view, Balcony", and "Overlooking exciting Waikiki, City View with balcony". We have Marriott points to use for the last night, which is at our expense. I know this hotel is across the street from the beach, but I don't mind crossing a street.

The Moana Surfrider says that it would be "City View, Historic Wing, Non-smoking, Heavenly Bed, High-speed Internet". I've been looking at what "historic wing" means and apparently it's not great. If this hotel is a better choice than the Marriott, we don't mind paying for the last night vs. using Marriott points.

Since we're not there for purely vacation and it's not on our dime, I honestly don't mind a city view and/or some street noise - we'll take what we can get! But since we have a choice of hotels, I wanted to check on recommendations.

Our main priorities are being able to eat breakfast at the hotel before my husband goes to work, a pool, proximity to the beach (either on or within 1 block), a nice clean hotel room, nice bathroom. Things to do from the hotel (such as tours that leave from there, or a good concierge to point me in the right direction) could be a plus. Having a balcony to open up for fresh air would be lovely.

I would like to be able to lounge by the pool, walk to the beach, and do some sightseeing while he is at work. We want to be able to walk to places to get dinner when he returns, not just eat at the hotel. It's our first kid-free trip since having a second child, so I want to feel like I'm on vacation!

Thanks!
Old Jan 28th, 2011, 04:07 PM

My favorite pool area would be at the Marriott Resort, which I have stayed at once. But I really like the dining area that is beachside at the Moana. I've stayed a few times at Princess Kaiulani, and although I enjoyed it alot, it isn't my favorite of the three options you have. I've never stayed at Moana, but I'd sure be happy to be there!!

You have a tough choice!! (lucky you)

Do enjoy yourself. I love Waikiki, and I go once a year, in September.
Old Jan 28th, 2011, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! Someone just suggested the Hyatt Regency Waikiki, do you know how that compares?
Old Jan 29th, 2011, 04:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
First of all, the Moana is one of the oldest hotels on the beach and it is right ON the beach. That "historic wing" is in the older part of the building; the newer "tower" rooms have ocean views, at least some of them do. Having a meal on the banyan veranda at the Moana is a wonderful experience and if you are fortunate enough to be in the area on a Sunday, the Sunday brunch is wonderful.

The Hyatt (the old Biltmore hotel location) is across the street from the beach (like the Marriott a few steps away) and is much newer than the Moana..big poured concrete towers (I've stayed in the oceanfront rooms) and I suppose there are some who might say that the Hyatt doesn't have the "charm" the Moana has but it has plenty of glitz and used to be a real destination for a lot of Japanese wedding parties.

None of the places you are considering is "bad" and we have friends who swear by the Marriott. Be aware that anywhere in that area of Waikiki there are all KINDS of eating and shopping venues and the activity on the street can get pretty frenetic but that's to be expected.
Old Jan 29th, 2011, 04:47 PM

If it were me, I would choose the Moana in a heartbeat, but I'm a sucker for "old Hawaii." I have not stayed there but did have a guided tour once. The rooms in the old part are fairly small and not luxurious, but they are charming. The building is all white with white rockers on front verandah. To rest, you can sit out on it and watch the world go by, not to mention the gorgeous Japanese brides. The lobby is open from the front entrance straight through to the beach and the ocean at the back.
Old Jan 29th, 2011, 06:49 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
About having a balcony, you'd need to specifically ask that. Part of the Moana Surfrider does face one VERY busy street. But it's a lovely hotel.

Honestly any hotel in Waikiki fit this description:
>

Waikiki is a small, walkable area.
Old Feb 1st, 2011, 06:09 AM

That just sounds great!
Old Feb 1st, 2011, 06:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I would choose the Moana over the Marriott. The room will likely be smaller than the Marriott but for me its location directly on the beach and the overall ambience of the hotel wins out over the Marriott. The Hyatt is huge, the pool is elevated, it is across the street from the beach and, although it was nice, I thought it lacked any real personality. It felt very convention-like. For full disclosure, I only visited these hotels. While in Waikiki, I stayed at the Outrigger Waikiki.
Old Feb 1st, 2011, 07:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When you walk down what used to be those rather DARK hallways in the "original" Moana it can give you pause.

And while we're on the subject, be very aware of just what 'the beach' is like in that part of Waikiki...often crowded (as you would expect) and not full of a bunch of crashing waves (due to the offshore reef) but often more like a lake. Just so you know.
Old Feb 1st, 2011, 08:54 AM

>>

This describes the Marriott, too. We enjoyed it though, and had a great view of Diamond Head from our room.